Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin requires use of Sd card to update maps to my 2595 LM
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin requires use of Sd card to update maps to my 2595 LM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Garmin requires use of Sd card to update maps to my 2595 LM Reply with quote

Hi, I have just downloaded the map update 2015.10All. Via Garmin Express but it said not enough space and to insert a Sd card which I did and it loaded the new map in suspiciously short time?
Now I have to have the card installed to use the sat nav.
I. Have always used the Sd card to hold the camera data! This way I can no longer use this data? Have I gone about things the wrong way? And if so is there a way to unravel and get back to the old way!
I don't have a lot of computing skill so please keep it simple thanks.
Everything is working fine at the moment,just I can't use the Sd card with the camera downloads on?
Regards
George
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Use of SD card Reply with quote

Happened to me too. I am not sure what has happened as I have always used a 4Gb SD card and it said it had insufficient space. I am just wondering if now the whole map is put on the SD card.
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Map loading onto sd card Reply with quote

Hi Michaelj2
Thanks for the reply, pleased I'm not the only one this has happened to?
It's very weird that Garmin can't upgrade within the unit!
Regards
dunk
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Use of SD card Reply with quote

I used a brand new 32Gb card just to be sure. I think the new version of Garmin Express is worse than usual. I am just sorry I upgraded to it.
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too!
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same 'not enough space' warning on my 3588 fitted with the original 4gb memory card.

The last few map updates have been to big to fit on the device internal memory so GE installed them on the SD card instead.

I deleted everything off the memory card, which was the previous map update & my POIs.

Then on reinstalling the map, it all fitted onto the 4GB memory card although little space was left, so I put in the 8GB card from my phone & installed the maps again.
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The problem is I can I use the same sd card that has been used to download the maps to then download the speed camera data? Otherwise I can't use the camera data ??
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The problem is can I use the same sd card that has been used to download the maps to then download the speed camera data? Otherwise I can't use the camera data ??
Metblackrat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the same card for both the maps and the camera data. You can remove the card from the SatNav, put it in the PC and create a new folder called POI. Write to this folder with POILoader and away you go.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another thread running with this info.

The latest 2015.10 maps seem to be too large to fit on the device without a card.
I initially put in a 4Gb card and after installation I found that the 4Gb card had very little room left so I put in a 8Gb card (the max suggested by Garmin).
Now all running with plenty of space.

I find it incredible that Garmin would produce modern units with capacity that runs short within a year of purchase.
From memory, after update, the maps were 3.8Gb and the space on the unit was 1.85Gb so these new maps are considerably larger.

Also, once you update, if you have a unit with voice recognition, check it, as the latest update accidentally removes the voice recognition files that have to be reinstalled via MyDashboard.

With this fiasco and TT no longer allowing third party POI's it's all falling apart.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody!
I just want to say. A very big thanks for all your replies,
Regards
George
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
I find it incredible that Garmin would produce modern units with capacity that runs short within a year of purchase.

I don't. My new camera needed a card before I could take more than 3 pictures, my phone needed one straight away to enable me to load ViewRanger mapping. We shouldn't really complain about satnavs, at least you can still use them without adding a card for a while Wink

And while the current Express version has the 'remove voices' bug generally Express works well. I've updated 3 units with the last 3 map updates and only once has something gone wrong, and that was the delete voices bug.
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are used to sat-navs being stand alone devices and expect them to work & update without added expense. Maybe they should state at point of sale a SD card to be purchased separately will be required.

On the plus side of course, SD cards are reasonably cheap, so better this than have a device with no expandable memory (Kindle paperwhite) so when it is full, the only choice it to buy a complete new unit.

On the plus plus side, having a device which becomes full/unusable/broken gives good reason to the missis for buying a new toy :o) (My sony telly lasted 20 years before it 'suddenly stopped working' nobody noticed the missing fuse in the plug :o) Now I buy Samsung, cos they only last five years & I can then get a new updated telly :o)

Imagine buying a brand new 3598, which comes with a 4GB sd card.
Rushing home, plugging it into the PC & being told a new map-update is available, then it saying the supplied 4GB card is too small for the map!

I remember the original TT300. it had a 128MB SD card. Many users killed theirs by leaving the unit in the car & hot weather seemed to corrupt the SD card. I recovered loads of them by copying my SD image to their card.

After a few years of updates & added POIs this card was too small & we had to buy bigger cards. This was fine until one update somehow tied the map to the device, so it was no longer possible to recover a corrupted SD card (or cheekily update the maps from a newer device) by copying from another device.

I did warn them all at work & advised them to make a backup of their SD card. Did they do it? What do you think?

Susamb, thanks for pointing me to the dashboard to recover my English voice. I have only just tumbled what your user name means :o)

The missis has just read this post Doh!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: