Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hackable SatNav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hackable SatNav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
komradekristoph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Hackable SatNav Reply with quote

Hi everyone

Been looking around the net for some help regarding buying a SatNav unit, I've found this forum very useful before so thought I would see what all you experts have to say Smile

Basically I would like to buy a dedicated Satnav unit with the following specifications in mind:

4-5" Screen
GLONASS Support
Decent GPS Chipset
Somewhat future proof
Hackable

Also I suppose the main selling point for me would be it's ability to have multiple Satnav software installed i.e. TomTom, CoPilot, Navigon, Garmin, iGO and so on.

Is there such a device on the market? I live in the UK, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kris
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, is the short answer.

The nearest that you might come to wehat you want is a cheapo Chinese satnav running WinCE with a version of iGO on it. Why the insistence on Glonass?
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A smartphone would be nearer, surely removing the sim would make it dedicated, I am running three nav programmes on my Android, at least it would run later issues that wince.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
A smartphone would be nearer, surely removing the sim would make it dedicated, I am running three nav programmes on my Android, at least it would run later issues that wince.

It would also be more 'future-proof'. You purchase an app and it's linked to your Google account. So when you device gets old or starts struggling with the updated apps you have the option of getting new hardware and reusing the same software.

I'm not sure what smartphones specifically use GLONASS though - I think most just market it as 'GPS' as a generic name.

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my galaxy S3 and Nexus10 pad support GLONASS
There's a list here
komradekristoph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

Thanks for the quick replies Smile

@M8TJT, not so much an insistence on GLONASS...it would with help with positioning though wouldn't it? I've read about it, only briefly mind and it seemed like a nice feature to have. I have worked with WinCE devices before, are there any decent ones you'd recommend?

@aj2052/MaFt, I have been looking into an Android smartphone as a solution...it's just a bit overwhelming as to how many devices are currently on the market Laughing Out Loud. Would you think a dual-core device would suffice for SatNav or would it need to be quad-core? Are there any devices you'd recommend? I've read recently that Samsung devices have issues whereby they can take a while to get a lock...

Again any advice from you guys is very much appreciated!! Thanks

Regards

Kris
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just tested my Samsung S3, it took 3 seconds to get a lock and I haven't had the GPS on for a couple of days.
A lot of the complaints about slow locking can be attributed to the fact that the user was moving whilst the device was trying to get a lock. Never a good idea.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GLONASS is Russia's 'version' of GPS. It wouldn't improve GPS signal. The only difference it might make would be if a receiver was able to use combined GPS and GLONASS signals but I'm not sure on the technical details of smartphone GPS chips. This list shows smartphones that can use GLONASS signals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_smartphones_using_GLONASS_Navigation - but I can't find anything that gives info on how, exactly, the GPS and GLONASS signals are used or combined etc.

I have a HTC One, it's nice and big, and very powerful. Doesn't struggle with a range of GPS apps (even running 3 at the same time for comparisons). Added bonus of being able to run CamerAlert in the background (wouldn't get maps on it if you didn't use SIM card, but can be updated over wifi).

MaFt
komradekristoph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

@M8TJT, going back to the article I found it was previous Samsung models that seemed to have the issue picking up a lock...this seemed to be the case even when they were stationary. Could have also been a case of PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard) but relating to the phone of course Laughing Out Loud

@MaFt, I do like the look of the HTC One but tbh I would rather not spend over £300 to buy one of those handsets. I am looking to spend in the region of £100, sorry should have mentioned that in my checklist Smile

Has anybody had any experience with the cheap and cheerful Chinese handsets you can buy these days? I've heard they are great as a smartphone but the GPS functionality is a bit dire!

Again, thanks for the quick replies and advice!!

Regards

Kris
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the Motorola Moto G.
komradekristoph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@bmuskett, thanks for the suggestion Smile that model would have been perfect if only it had expandable memory (http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g-5831.php) doesn't have a MicroSD card slot Sad

Thank you though!!

Regards

Kris
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi komradekristoph, It sounds like you are a bit of a fiddler and a tweaker. May I suggest that you start working backwards.?
Dedicated GPS PND's are getting more locked down with every new incarnation. As too, it woulds appear, are iPhone/Pad. That leaves you Android.

Any recent phone/tab will quite happily get a satellite lock and run GPS apps, even several as MaFt has indicated above.

With very few exceptions, the big names manufacture their phones/tabs in Asia. The factories there are manufacturing these for the big names for peanuts while the big boys make big money. Thanks to the likes of eBay, the Asian manufacturers are able to offer us the same technology at a fraction of the prices we could buy it for from Western suppliers and, of course, they can make a bit more money into the bargain as well.

My son has a cheap DooGee Android phone from China. No problems. Brilliant phone. Does everything and more that my Motorola RAZRi can do.

EDIT - Go for it!
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Last edited by AliOnHols on Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the HTC Desire HD, not upto the latest phones but big screen and certainly fully functional and loaded with Tomtom, Sygic and Navigon although primarily use Sygic, have had no problems with Lag, being well retired and not dependent on heavy usage or mileage its on PAYG sim and thus phone data switched off and only wifi used for data, and also contains numerous apps and music,photos etc plus as added memory card, like every satnav I have used it does take a while to first pick satelites when on the move but quick when stationary,, for me I cant see any reason to upgrade.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: