Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CP5 won't install under Windows 98SE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CP5 won't install under Windows 98SE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AOD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: CP5 won't install under Windows 98SE Reply with quote

I've recently purchased the CP5 live UK Bluetooth quickstart pack + add on US maps and am having no end of fun and games.

The quickstart card worked without a hitch (as you would hope), but it wasn't long before I wanted to get the desktop software installed, principally so I could experiment with the US maps (before my other half takes it away on her trip to California).

However, the installation process for the desktop software does not like my machine one little bit.

I'm running W98SE (with all the relevant updates/patches), and when I try to install, I usually end up with one of the following:

1. An error message displayed when attempting to launch the CP5 software on my laptop, stating "License Record Not Found".

or

2. The product activation screen displays (asking for my email address) and confirms that the product has been activated (displaying a couple of flags), but then disappears and no other application is launched. If re-run, the system goes through the automatic activation again but does not launch any other application.

The installation process seems extremely flaky, for example if I select a different directory to install the software into (other than the default), the install routine still goes ahead and puts the software into the default directory, but the desktop shortcut points to the "user selected" folder, which is empty. Not good.

I've contacted ALK (UK) and have been told that they have only just become aware of these installation issues with W98SE (guess they didn't regression test the installation on all the "supported" platforms then :-( ) and that a patch is being worked on.

No complaints about the level of support, they've offered for me to come into their London offices (happily just down the road from me) and get the map data I need squirted onto a card.
spindrift
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there's a connection with the problems I'm having with Windows ME. (see my post of Sept 3rd CoPilot 4.5 won't uninstall)

Unfortunately I'm not having the same level of service from ALK as you - just stony silence. I've emailed them the details as they requested and having just got back from a 2 week trip have emailed them again to ask what's going on. So far, after 2 days, no response. Guess I'll have to (try) and get them on the phone again.

Beginning to think I'll send it back and ask for a refund - that should get their attention!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: