Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Start 20 series - too good for first-time buyers?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Start 20 series - too good for first-time buyers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working from (dodgy) memory here as I no longer have my unit, but I think

Coordinates - maybe

PGPSW database and POI warnings - Yes.
claymorebob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how to transfer Pois to my start 25, I used to could on my xxl but now nothing
Help!!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can either use "Add Community Content" in the "MyTomTom" utility, or use TomTom's "Transfer Content assistant" to copy them from an old TomTom to a new one.

Instructions for "Add Community Content" are here (That's to add the PGPSW camera data, but all POIs are similar)

The "Transfer Content assistant" can be downloaded from here
wiggy25
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Start25 Western Europe Worrying map updates! Reply with quote

Well at long last have updated the now VERY old GO700!!

Bought the Start25 Western Europe from Halford's yesterday as it was on offer for £129.99.

Installed MyTomTom all OK although I wouldn't say it's incredibly stable!
If you connect the device MyTomTom starts up and goes straight to the web page but the web page goes into walking through treacle mode so in the end just closed the browser and went to the page manually and that all seemed to work fine.

The first thing it said was everything was up to date, but then showed me a map of Western Europe that I could download...very odd.

Then it said there were 25 new items to download, downloaded these items one of which was a new firmware for the unit, I think mainly bug fixes.

So that all went in well, it still showed the map of Western Europe that I could install.
I double checked and found that this unit actually comes with the map of Europe installed which had a release date of 1/2012 so first quarter of this year, fairly old.

Ticked the box and started downloading the Western Europe map, it tells me that there is not enough room and I need to put in a memory card or remove the current map which can be reinstalled at any time.
I didn't have another card so just selected remove existing map and started the download after a few seconds the Start25 lit up saying connection to server lost and "Something went wrong don't disconnect the device"

The download timer on the PC was still counting down but nothing happening on the device after a 40min download I thought it would just install...nope.
So disconnected the device turned it on and it said no maps installed!!!
Turned it off connected back to PC and it suddenly connected and started to install the downloaded map another 30mins and it said all was done.

Disconnected the device turned it off then turned on holding the on button for more than 4seconds to give the drum sound which is a reset.
Hey presto all up and running with the latest map.
I have no idea why it said there was a problem and why it didn't automatically install the map but the MyTomTom function needs to be more stable than this.

Installed the Speed camera data base using the MyTomTom zip file and that all went in OK .
What I did find was when selecting the speed cameras in the Manage POI menu it asks for the distance to be warned at but DOESN'T ask for which sound you want to use!!
Reading the instructions it does say select the camera, then the distance and then the sound you want, but this doesn't appear as an option.
I looked around the forums and a comment was made that if you see a loud speaker symbol next to the pgpsw camera symbol then it will already have the voice activated.
I have now tested it and can confirm that this is true and even though I didn't need to select the voice I wanted to use it's already been selected.

As a further idea I unzipped the file and using MyTomTom insert community content I copied the voices into the community warning sounds area.
Now when you go into the TomTom speed cameras there is an Alert settings icon and you can select these voices to use as well.

Hope this is useful.

Cheers

Ian
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Ian.

You're not the only one to find the new "MyTomTom" to be more than a little tiresome!
I think some of the issues are caused by the split between the "support application" (the icon and notifications that you get in thePC system tray next to the clock) and the rest of the system which is web-based (although a lot of the "web pages" you see are actually generated inside the TomTom itself!).
Often they contradict eachother, and the web-based stuff always switches to "you are up to date" as soon as you have triggered the download of something, rather then waiting to see if it actually completed and installed!

I get the feeling that different software teams worked on the two halves and didn't talk to each other enough... Rolling Eyes

--------

Moving onto the sound warnings for the PGPSW cameras.

The fact that you don't get asked to choose a sound file when you are doing the warning set-up is correct and 'as expected'; but it does confuse a lot of people. For that reason, it was specifically pointed out in the instructions for the older models:

Quote:

4. You should now be asked to select the warning distance, followed by the Warn Only if POI on route – please set-up these options as per your normal preference, remember everyone will use different settings dependent upon how they use the device.

5. Note: You will be asked to choose a sound but will not be offered any options, this is normal. You will be asked 'Is this the sound you want?'. You should answer Yes on this screen. If you do, you will then see the warning distance screen and can proceed as normal.

However, that note seems seems to have been missed off the instructions for the new models. I've got some work to do rationalising the old and new instructions, so I'll see if I can get it added.

---

The confusion all comes about because TomTom originally invented that method of adding voice warnings as an undocumented add-on. If a sound file had the same name as the POI file then that warning was added AUTOMATICALLY and it just skipped the setting where you chose a sound effect.
Unfortunately they left in the "Is this the sound you want to use?" screen and they NEVER fixed it.

Later on they added the second method where you could add the warning files to the "sounds" folder, and as you've discovered for yourself, that works fine too.

The two methods were explained in detail in the download page for the OLD voice warnings here (see "method 1" and "method 2"), but when the instructions for the new modes were written it was decided to just stick to describing "method 1" to keep things simple.

For what it's worth, I was the first to discover the 'method 2' way after a hint was dropped by a TT employee a few years ago and have used it ever since.
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: QVC TSV Reply with quote

An old thread I know but, if anyone is still thinking of getting this unit, the Start 25 with European maps is QVC's TSV today at under £100 with free UK p+p and with a TomTom promotion of FREE LIFETIME MAPS.

Seems a great deal although not for me.
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: start 20 Reply with quote

Also on ideal world 23 nov 2012 (friday), start 20 £99.00 with traffic receiver.
Pay £33 now and then £33 jan,£33 feb.

Might be tempted but i prefer a live unit.
Rhubarbe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you ordered the Start 25 for £99.96 from QVC on the 18th Nov as I did, I'd suggest you check that they've not added P&P to your bill (P&P was supposed to be free). I've looked in my account today and they've added £5.95!

My confirmation email says that P&P is free. I've mailed them about this today.

For anyone waiting, when I ordered mine thay said it would be dispatched on 29 Nov, I mailed them last week and they say that my order should be 'fulfilled' by 15 Dec.
JamesEncliffe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Let down badly by the rubbish mount Reply with quote

I was very disappointed on changing from a Go300 series device to a Start25. The mount arrangement in the box is totally unusable. They actually expect the user to peel the suction off the screen each time! It wouldn't last a week before refusing to stick, not to mention the difficulty involved. The old device was a one button press and remove from a well-designed dock connector/holder. The Start needs the USB to be unplugged each time. Utter rubbish design.
It is possible to buy a docking mount, for the dashboard, which would go some way to recovering the fuctionality of older models. However the design can only be mounted on a surface that is near-vertical!! Few dashboards have such a surface near the line-of-sight of the driver (and devices mounted such that the driver has to look away significantly from the road to see the display are dangerous and impractical). It can't be mounted on any of the many horizontal surfaces in most cars because the device cannot be then rotated to a vertical screen position. Stupid design.

I finally made do with a 'gooseneck' windscreen mount which allows the device to be clipped off. But the cable still has to be unplugged.

A very badly thought-out mounting design that lets down the whole device. Whoever 'designed' up this system hasn't a clue.

Compared to earlier devices, the sound quality is very poor, being thin and tinny. This is a side-effect of the (unnecessary) design goal of making a thin device.

James
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the Start are the "entry-level" models so corners needed to be cut to bring it in at a price people were prepared to pay.

But don't forget that in most countries you are advised by the police to remove all traces of having a sat nav - removing the mount and even wiping the ring-mark from the screen. Lots of people in the various forums moaned that it was annoying to have to take the bulky mount with them when they left the car and asked for an "integrated" mount.

Other models have better mounts, with release buttons (GOx40/GOx50 series) or magnetic catches (GO100x series and the new GO500/5000), you did have a choice.....

Sometimes TomTom can't win?
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

START 25 comments.

Post moved:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=93923

Last edited by Pocketgps on Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distance selling rules apply. You have 7 days from receipt to return an item without having to give a reason or that it's faulty.
tgold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Distance selling rules apply. You have 7 days from receipt to return an item without having to give a reason or that it's faulty.
It's not that tight - you get those seven days after receipt, and which do not include any weekends or bank holidays, to inform the seller that you reject the item and cancel the sale. The DSRs do not set any time limit set for the return of the item.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tgold wrote:
............. The DSRs do not set any time limit set for the return of the item.
What, never? Totally unlimited?
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Here

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: