Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - More A10 newbie questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

More A10 newbie questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SimoninEaston
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: More A10 newbie questions Reply with quote

Hi folks, here's a couple of simple queries that you seasoned A10 users will know the answer to straight away!
I'm just starting to use my A10 in ernest recently, and y'day I noticed the map image kept moving around - it's difficult to describe but here's the facts: I was using OCM/1:25K, zoomed in quite close, following a walking route of about 5 miles. The image of the map wouldn't stay still, it kept moving around, rotating and this obviously makes it hard to focus on and in particular making the labels difficult to read (they seemed to be upside down most of the time!) I imagined this would be fixed by switching to 'North Up' but doing so didn't seem to stop the pesky map bobbing about!
Secondly, how do I turn it off?! Whenever I press the on/off button and confirm Yes, it seems to turn off, but whenever I press the button again, it springs straight back to life, without having to find satellites and lock. I don't think I'm turning it off properly! Any advice?
Oh, and the blooming' thing keeps switching to Planning - any tips? What exactly do I mean? I'll tell you... Once I'm walking my route, I've taken to keeping the A10 in my trouser pocket, where it is warmish and upright. When I want to check my whereabouts, I take it out of my pocket and find, more often than not, that the screen has turned off (It's set to 1 minute), so I press any button to wake the screen - and Lo! It's in Planning mode :-( Bah! Any comments?
SmellyBoots
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: More A10 newbie questions Reply with quote

That sounds like a fault to me. Are you running the latest software? If so I'd return it to SatMap for the techies to look at it. If you use it in any really serious situation,e.g., Lake District in winter, then you can't take risks. Sorry that isn't what you wanted to hear but better safe than sorry.
SimoninEaston
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I was thinking along those lines myself... I'm already in touch with the good folk at SatMap, and they've suggested that a return is the next step.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried calibrating the compass ??

Worth a try.

Ian
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you are switching to "north up" - it takes two presses, one from trail up with centred position to trail up with bottom position, then goes to North up.

The planning thing when you take it out of your pocket is because you are moving the joystick - as soon as you move the joystick it will pan the map and go into planning.

The not switching off thing - are you on the latest version (1.5.9193) as the hibernate settings have changed. If you are on an earlier version and have hibernate set to say 2 or 4 hours, when you "switch off" you actually switch it to hibernate until it has gone through the time as set after which it will turn off fully. Latest version has hibernate options as you turn off.
SimoninEaston
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks -it's all beginning to make some sense now! I think you're right on all scores there, Mr D.
I thought I had upgraded to the latest software, but It wasn't until I powered it right off and rebooted that it seemed to kick in - I now get those Hibernate options when I press the on-off switch, which I didn't before...
That North Up remark makes senses too, although I'm still a bit wary about the map image 'jigging about'. I took it with me in the car, t'other day and it tracked me along the route between Oxford and Banbury very steadily with no jumping about what-so-ever - I'm wondering whether the fact that I was in a heavily wooded area all Saturday has anything to do with the movement seen on-screen.
I've been pestering the SM email address and have to say they've been very patient and remain engaged with my queries rather than fobbing me off with "Dear customer, RTFM..." which they'd be within their rights to do - most of my Q.s are after all How-Tos!
So far, I'm enjoying the A10 and although its interface is clunky by comparison with modern touch screen smartphones, it looks as if its going to do the job really rather well - its largely a case of my becoming familiar with the button driven menu routes, I think!
The screen's a bit low rez by today's standards but with my eye-sight that's not really an issue!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: