Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom launch TomTom Mobile
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom launch TomTom Mobile
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: TomTom launch TomTom Mobile Reply with quote

The following is the Press Release from TomTom's PR Agency

Quote:

Smarten up on the road with TomTom MOBILE

~TomTom launches its complete in-car navigation solution for smartphones~

Amsterdam, 15 September 2004 UK ? TomTom, Europe?s leading personal and in-car navigation solution provider, today announces the availability of its easy to use in-car navigation system for advanced mobile phones. TomTom MOBILE is the perfect tool for smartphone users and busy professionals on the move, who demand simple technology to navigate from A to B, safely and without stress.

TomTom MOBILE features TomTom?s award-winning plug and play car navigation software pre-installed onto a memory card, making it simple to set up and start navigating[2]. The pre-installed memory card means that users do not have to download any complicated software, making the product simple to use and understand. Unlike other navigation systems, TomTom MOBILE does not require a GPRS connection to calculate routes and download maps. Everything is stored on the memory card, allowing routes to be calculated and re-calculated at any time, without worrying about the users? phone bill.

TomTom MOBILE?s clear turn-by-turn voice instructions mean that the driver never needs to worry about taking their eyes off the road[3]. By allowing drivers to plan and check their route before they get in the car, it minimises the need to touch the phone to enter information whilst driving. If a driver makes a wrong turn, an automatic re-routing feature will quickly and safely redirect them back onto the right road.

?TomTom MOBILE is another great addition to the TomTom in-car navigation portfolio, allowing more choice for the demanding modern driver to navigate from A to B.? said Harold Goddijn, TomTom?s chief executive officer. ?TomTom MOBILE is the product of years of experience in developing software and hardware for in-car navigation, making TomTom MOBILE quite simply an excellent product to use. This is yet another step forward for TomTom, whose aim is to make leading-edge car navigation solutions available to a wide consumer audience through different platforms and devices.?

Later on this year TomTom MOBILE users will be able to subscribe to receive real-time traffic alerts straight to their smartphone. TomTom Traffic offers an on-screen, bird?s eye view of any incidents or general traffic jams on route, and can automatically find alternative routes to minimise delays. This helps the driver to complete the journey in the quickest and easiest time possible.

Users are able to receive phone calls while continuing to get visual route instructions from TomTom MOBILE. This ensures the driver is constantly informed of the route throughout the journey, even while using a mobile phone. The in-car navigation system works by using a Bluetooth-enabled GPS receiver (the smallest and lightest on the market) which connects automatically and wirelessly to the smartphone in the car. There is no need for wires allowing greater portability and convenience for using the mobile phone both inside and outside of the car.

Other features include 3D mapping and night and day settings, which help drivers to clearly visualise the route they are taking. Customisable Points of Interest (POI), allows drivers to programme their own points of interest or information, such as hotels, museums and petrol stations. Together with street number coverage, which allows for full door-to-door navigation, this all adds up to an impeccable navigation experience with TomTom MOBILE.

TomTom MOBILE supports popular smartphones, such as the Nokia 6600, Orange SPV E200 and Qtek 8080 and is totally portable and exchangeable between all compatible smartphones.

TomTom MOBILE is currently available from The Carphone Warehouse, Dixons, PC World and www.tomtom.com. This value for money product is available for a one off payment of £199 (?299), for the stand alone solution. This complete in-car navigation pack includes a 128 MB MultiMediaCard, Bluetooth GPS Receiver (NMEA 0183 v 2.2), in-car charger cable for GPS receiver and a quick start poster and CD. TomTom MOBILE is available from most popular high street stores.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About TomTom

TomTom BV is a global provider of personal navigation solutions for mobile people.
TomTom provides innovative, easy to use navigation products built on world leading hardware and software platforms.
TomTom BV was founded in 1991 in Amsterdam and has offices in The Netherlands, United Kingdom and USA. The company?s products are sold through a distribution network of top retailers in more than 15 countries.
To learn more about TomTom, visit: www.tomtom.com.

TheBoffin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Tomtom Mobile - Bluetooth Reply with quote

Quote:
NOTE: No phone is included in this package. TomTom MOBILE cannot be used in conjunction with Bluetooth car kits or headsets unless your phone supports concurrent Bluetooth connections to multiple devices.

This is shown on the tomtom mobile pages off the tomtom.com -- My question is this :

Which of the currently supported and listed mobiles supports 'concurrent bluetooth connections' ? (Nokia 6600, Orange SPV E200, Qtek 8080)

I'm in need of upgrading my mobile at the moment, and my current Dell Axim X5 setup brings with it lots of wires, and no bluetooth, and consequently no ability to get Tomtom Traffic from my existing Nokia 6210e.

Actually that raises another question (ok, may be a dumb question) but if I don't ask it, someone else will ... and it doesn't state on the Tomtom website.

The software that comes pre-installed on the SD card, does it have Tomtom Traffic enabled on it? Or is it a service that can be added to the Tomtom Mobile package later?

And whilst i'm asking dumb questions, heres another:
How big is the SD card? and is there any space left on it after tomtom is pre-installed? And if there is space, can that be utilised to store photos etc on from the phone??

Ok think i'm done with this now ... recommendations for mobile phone and/or bluetooth car-kit very welcome.

Brian.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Tomtom Mobile - Bluetooth Reply with quote

TheBoffin wrote:

Which of the currently supported and listed mobiles supports 'concurrent bluetooth connections' ? (Nokia 6600, Orange SPV E200, Qtek 8080)

Not sure about the SmartPhones, but the 6600 only has 1 BT connection. I used mine with a Mr Handsfree kit which worked well as it charges the phone as well (sometimes). In fact you do need to have a charger as the phone will probably only last a couple of hours on its battery.

TheBoffin wrote:

The software that comes pre-installed on the SD card, does it have Tomtom Traffic enabled on it? Or is it a service that can be added to the Tomtom Mobile package later?

TomTom traffic is not avaiable on TomTom Mobile yet. I believe that it will be available in the future, but no dates have been mentioned as yet.

TheBoffin wrote:

And whilst i'm asking dumb questions, heres another:
How big is the SD card? and is there any space left on it after tomtom is pre-installed? And if there is space, can that be utilised to store photos etc on from the phone??

There is some space on the card, but not a lot. The beta software we tested had a 128Mb MMC card (SD cards dont fin in the 6600) and there was about 3Mb space left. You can of course put it on a larger capacity card.
simkna
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all very well, but what about a package for those of us that already have a BT GPS?

Presumably TT mobile uses a similar registration / lock process to TT on PPC?

Si.
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might work with the E200 but it doesn't work with the new C500
simkna
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike the ALK solution......

Si.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcwarre wrote:

The E200 will not support BT GPS and BT Headset at the same time.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simkna wrote:
That's all very well, but what about a package for those of us that already have a BT GPS?

Presumably TT mobile uses a similar registration / lock process to TT on PPC?

Si.

Looking in the registry there are entries for many different GPS types similar to TomTom on the PocketPC so this would suggest that it will support other GPS models. It follows therefore that there 'may' be a software only offering at some point.

Last edited by Darren on Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have the M6 Toll Road ?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does, same map release as TomTom GO.
Leeus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic, any news on P900 release and also does anyone know if that supports headset and GPS?
markrfc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all is there a confirmed shipping date or is it wait and see/ was considering ttgo but as i already have a 6600 i think this is worth a go. Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is shipping already, Widget and TotalPDA have it.
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
mcwarre wrote:

The E200 will not support BT GPS and BT Headset at the same time.

Darren,

I know that (I never said it would). Wink

I see the Co-Pilot Live for smartphone works on a C-500 and I have seen it on expansys for £219 (RRp is £299). Nice solution (especially when the traffic information works)

Mick
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcwarre wrote:
Darren,

I know that (I never said it would). Wink
Mick

And I wasn't suggesting you did, you said it 'might' and I was simply clarifying that it won't Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: