Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Foreign Speedcams for Sygic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Foreign Speedcams for Sygic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing this forum lacks which most others have is a Thanks button on posts so we can thank the heroes like MaFt and M8TJT for their help.

Any way thanks to you both
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right then. I've done some work on this and written some excel macros to split the 'consolidated by type' EUR database into it's countries, so I now have loads of country folders with all the 'cam type' .csv and .bmp files therein. Very Happy The speed zoned database would be considerably more of a challenge though. Sad

I loaded the Belgium files into Sygic and did about 20 random checks for camera display on Sygic, and all those that I checked were present and correct.

I then loaded the French cams and rechecked that the Belgium ones were still there and they were. But, on checking the French cams, the redlight, mobiles, pmobiles and SPECs all seem to be there, but the Fixed cams (Gatsos) are missing. Sad

I've also had a thought that maybe Sygic protests if you try to load a cam into a country the you do not have a map for. If this is the case, it will simplify things by just 'filtering out' those cams, and loading the rest in one hit. I feel some more experimentation coming on. Now to find a list of what Sygic class as Western Europe.

Onwards and upwards then. Supreme Angel
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just before Christmas I downloaded Sygic onto my android phone. I didn't buy the app after the 7 day trial because of problems getting pgpsw cams to work..
I was importing all of the European cameras, once converted, into as single" import" folder. I didn't sperate them into their respective countries or create a sperate import folder for every country.

Presumably this Is why it didn't work and I should give Sygic another try.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I tried that technique, I got errors from the Sygic import 'wizard' so I haven't tried it lately for W.EUR. There are quite a few countries in the PGPSW set that are not in the Sygic W.EUR map list. My gut feeling is that it's this that's causing the problem. I just run CA in the background, and am just trying to get the PGPSW W.EUR cams on Sygic because I can (or can't) and for the benefit of anyone else that might want to put them on (if I'm successful)
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just revisited Sygic at the Play Store. They seem pretty good at answering complaints/queries.

Might it be worth your while posting some feedback there and following it up with a support request and let them do the hard work?

Edit, after all, I'm pretty sure they say in their marketing blurb somewhere that it is ready to import 3rd party Poi's and they cite PgpsW as an example.
It clearly isn't easy and they are losing potential customers (at least one, me) as a result.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say quite clearly in their POI import routine that the POIs have to be in one country.

Presumably they don't expect anyone (like us) to be so stupid as to try to import POIs into countries that they don't have maps for. Rolling Eyes
If you just try importing the PGPSW GB cams (providing you have the GB map), it is quite easy and it works just fine and dandy Very Happy
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sygic don't answer complaints or queries quickly.

I logged issue in October and all they could say update to new release and if still issues create new ticket.

With Sygic you do need to be watching the screen as well, as listening to the instructions can be well off - ie take 1st exit to locationb when infact 1st exit is to locationa.

I was using CamerAlert and not importing into Sygic as it was easier and you just ran it in the background. Only a couple of issues where on A1 after 50mph zone it would continue repeating the limit was 50mph and you are doing 60+, even though back in 70mph part. Also had few issues of some cameras not being notified by audio.

Due to the issues I had with Sygic and incorrect routing and bugs over the last few updates which haven't been fixed I've gone back to a dedicated PND.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
They say quite clearly in their POI import routine that the POIs have to be in one country.

Presumably they don't expect anyone (like us) to be so stupid as to try to import POIs into countries that they don't have maps for. .....

Doh! Embarassed
That'll be me then!
I've just re-read this page http://help.sygic.com/entries/22149526-Import-of-external-custom-POIs-to-Sygic you are quite correct, I missed it several times.
SygicPoiHelpPage wrote:
Please note that points of interest must be imported for each country separately.
That's just daft IMHO.What would happen if a French POI was placed in the Belgium Map/import folder?
i.e. Is it not possible to make a Sygic/Map/import folder for every country you have maps for and load the entire EUR database into each one of these Map/import folders? al la peterc10 on the previous page.
walkerx wrote:
Sygic don't answer complaints or queries quickly.
. Ah Ok, I wasn't aware of that. I just noticed that Sygic Techs had appeared to reply to most problems raised on the Android Play Store, but re-reading there aren't any real solutions, just responses.

Perhaps I shan't retry Sygic after all then. Thanks both M8TJT and walkerx for the heads up.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right then, some progress here. I have been tearing my hair out over some Excel macros and have finally been able to separate out the 'consolidated by type' xxx.csv files into their five categories into their respective countries. (The 'speed zoned' database has too many categories).

When I convert the .CSVs to .RUPI and stick them in the SYGIC\MAPS\IMPORT folder they get imported into Sygic but with problems.

When (say) the Belgium cams (without any indication that they are in Belgium) are impoted, all 5 RUPI files are shoved int a SYGIC\MAPS\RUPI\BEL folder in sygic. (The \BEL folder is created automatically as part of the import routine). A random check of lots of cams in Belgium indicate that they are all there.

Exactly the same happens for Germany (DEU) and Spain (ESP) with the Sygic import routine generating and putting the 5 .RUPI files in their respective \DEU and \ESP folders and, again, on random checking they all appear to be there.

The problem that I am having is at present with France (FRA). What happens is that the import routine generates not just one \FRA sub folder, but two sub folders SYGIC\MAPS\RUPI\ESP and SYGIC\MAPS\RUPI\FRA. The fixed cam .RUPI for some reason ends up in the \ESP folder with the other four cam types correctly in the \FRA folder. When examining the map, all the Mobiles, pMobiles, Redlight and SPECS show up OK, but the fixed Gatso, Truvelo, Redspeed etc. don't. If I move the errant RUPI file from the \ESP folder to the \FRA folder, all the French cams are there on the map as they should be (within the limits of my random checks).

I have only tried the four countries mentioned above, but suspect that the same problem might just happen for other countries in the set. What I need to find out is what is causing the French fixed cams to be put in the SYGIC\MAPS\RUPE\ESP folder.

I feel a request to Sygic coming on.

@MaFt. The three letter code is just fine and dandy because that's exactly what Sygic use and the col 4 Country code tallies with their nomencleture. Thanks.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you able to view a map of the rupi'd files? I'm wondering 1 of 2 things:

1) some french cameras are incorrectly marked as spanish cameras (or vice versa - too tired to think properly)
or
2) there are cameras near to the france-spain border (in the mountains?!) but sygic have the borders slightly differently so things some cameras are in different countries.

If their import logic just looks at what country the first or last camera is in (based on a quick and dirty reverse geocode) then they may simply put all the cameras into that folder.

Just some food for thought to maybe give some idea for further investigation?

I will try go through and check the countries :D
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it's option 1...
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts MaFt
Quote:
Rupi files
You can only see the cams when zoomed in to the 250 yard scale
Quote:
First and last cams?
Already thought of that. Checked the first few and last few cams and they are nowhere near Spain.
Points 1 and 2. Anything seems possible Sad

I'll have a look for some cams in the French rupi and see if they appear in Spain on the map, but on the 250 yard zoom, it'll take some panning about. And as the French cams don't show up when they're in the Spanish sub folder, I doubt if any Spanish cams in the French folder will show up in Spain Sad
MaFt wrote:
What makes you say that?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

14 cameras in the south of Spain have now been correctly marked as spanish and not french!

they've been like that for years... but this is obviously the first time the 'registered' country has been actually required.

can you try it now Smile

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
MaFt wrote:
What makes you say that?

I exported all cameras marked as french and shoved them into some map software to visualise their location. i could see some were in spain. these have now been fixed.

the only other possible issue now is whether or not sygic recognises corsica as being 'france' as we have a number of cameras on the island but we don't have 'corsica' as a separate country in the database.

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sygic does not have a map specifically for Corsica, but I suppose it's what they class it as country wise.
I'll have another go at the 'repaired' database later and report back.

What did you use to visualise the cams on a map so that I can check out any others that may give problems?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: