Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Experience with TomTom 600
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Experience with TomTom 600
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixhundred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Experience with TomTom 600 Reply with quote

Following my two yearly upgrade cycle I have now bought the new 600 device. It's been in use just a week or so.

As a navigation unit my opinion is it's very good. I'm deliberately not directly comparing it to my current 1005. The route planning is very fast and the integration to my phone for traffic updates is seamless and virtually instantaneous. Lifetime maps are welcome.

I started a list of comparison between the 600 and my 1005. However in some respects it's unfair. They are two totally different units with very different software. The user interface has been rewritten (for the better) and at the end of the day the 600 does it’s job really well.

As mentioned in various other posts there is a lot “missing” from the 600. But that’s when you compare it to TomTom’s other high end existing devices. If people need all the bells and whistles which make up the difference then find the TomTom device which fits the bill. I’d hope TomTom will update the 600 with new software which fills some of the gaps over time. Some of the biggies like hands free calling I suspect will never be added but I never used it so no loss.

If I’d bought the 600 as a first TomTom device I’d be very happy with it. The only concrete criticism I can muster is it offers less functionality than the 1005. However in my day to day use the 600 has everything I need.

It’s a very good device. Finding niggles is always possible but I can’t find any major faults. However I can easily say that the huge screen and phone integration are excellent. The maps and speed of the unit are also very good. I’m still getting to use to the unit however will be keeping it and selling my 1005.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought a 6 inch satnav stuck to the windscreen is illegal, as it would certainly fail an MOT, and must obstruct a lot of the drivers view.

This is the reason I use Brodit mounts, as I don't like anything stuck on the windscreen.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that for a to b navigation with good traffic, the new units are superb - although the "missing" features need to come soon to make it a more rounded unit, and silence the critics

Perhaps, for me anyway most importantly, they need to get their map update cycle in sync

technik wrote:
I would have thought a 6 inch satnav stuck to the windscreen is illegal, as it would certainly fail an MOT, and must obstruct a lot of the drivers view.

This is the reason I use Brodit mounts, as I don't like anything stuck on the windscreen.

I would prefer something in my direct view than look down and take my eye off the road. Just a personal preference Wink
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
I would prefer something in my direct view than look down and take my eye off the road. Just a personal preference Wink

Problem with windscreen satnav is some people think they don't need to look through the windscreen, because they have a 'satnav' Laughing

Satnav is great...I can do my hair and makeup, and text my mates, and bid on ebay, as my satnav tells me where I am going. Very Happy

I don't need to look through the windscreen anymore Rolling Eyes
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
Problem with windscreen satnav is some people think they don't need to look through the windscreen, because they have a 'satnav' Laughing

Why should that apply more to a driver using a windscreen mount than to one using a Brodit mount?

I prefer my satnav mounted near the windscreen so I don't have to look away from the road too far and for too long. For me a dash mat is the best solution. It puts the device nearer than if it was stuck to the windscreen, and the mount I use enables me to position it so that the satnav is within the area obscured by the windscreen wipers when they're not in use.

The right option for mounting a satnav is the one the driver feels most comfortable with - as long as that isn't in the middle of the windscreen!
Samsung Galaxy S21
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:

Are you sure about that?

I had a gut feeling that you could fail an MOT if there was anything obstructing the area of the windscreen swept by the windscreen wipers...

But I just found an MOT Tester's handbook on the web, and that seems to imply that the only part of the screen they are REALLY interested in is a small strip about a foot wide, centred on the steering wheel and within the wiper-swept zone.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_830.htm
sixhundred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_830.htm

This is an interesting secton: "the tester may, at their discretion, remove the items prior to the inspection"

So even if it's a problem, which sensible placement seems to mean it won't, the tester can remove it anyway.

I have mine as low as possible in the centre of the windscreen angled towards me. It's no distraction and certainly no worse than looking at the usual dials and gauges.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before the days of satnavs, I had a magnetic compass suction mounted in the centre of the windscreen just above the dash. The MoT examiner had always removed it when I got my car back.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thief!

Wink
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
xtraseller wrote:

Satnav is great...I can do my hair and makeup, and text my mates, and bid on ebay, as my satnav tells me where I am going. Very Happy

I don't need to look through the windscreen anymore Rolling Eyes

Same thing happens on ships with RADAR and ECDIS, why bother to look out the window, Royal Navy works like that, all controlled from the ops room.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me of the old US warship in fog versus Lighthouse story. Smile
sixhundred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random notes from using the device for the last week or two.

Can't stream music to the car Bluetooth at same time as connected to device, nor connect to any other Bluetooth device simultaneously

Blue tooth connection is instant. I timed it from when I enabled Bluetooth on the phone and it was 9 seconds to connect, download and display the traffic.

Route demo is fixed speed. Too slow!

Can't edit "my places" names. This is a real shame and means places have to be deleted and re-saved with the new name.

Notification of a faster route makes a sound however the message just appears in the right bar. It needs to be more obvious.

The 2d view doesn't automatically scale as you get closer to the destination. It stays at a fixed height. It would be nice to have an option to scale down as you get closer. Again, this is what the 1005 does and I used it extensively.

The user interface is much better for options and the like.

The on screen buttons should be bigger. It's a fiddle to hit them with accuracy with an outstretched arm.

I now understand why tapping anywhere on the map doesn't go to options - instead it hides the right hand bar and lets you scroll around the map and zoom. Actually quite a nice feature. Then when you stop touching the screen it returns to navigation mode. Different but actually quite useful.

TT really want you to scroll around the map to select places to navigate to. No option to immediately ask for a Favourite to navigate to. In practice this is ok for "my places" close to where you are and on the current map view - just tap it and click the steering wheel. For places off the current view you have to scroll across before selecting the place. The unit is just about fast enough for this. The other way is via the "my places" option.

Petrol stations have been added back in. Hurrah. So far my experience is they are very accurate. This is a real bonus (although it was something devices had before, was removed and is now back!

No battery indicator on the map screen. The device shows messages when the battery is low however it would be great to have an option of seeing the battery indicator in map view. Instead it's shown on the options screens.

Instant start-up time. The device goes to sleep and pressing the on/off button wakes it up in under 1 second. This is an excellent improvement.

So far the use of my mobile data and phone battery appears negligible. I leave Bluetooth on all the time and haven't noticed any additional battery drain. I've kept an eye on data use and it's no higher than normal. Still keeping a close eye on this. I use the device for 3-4 hours a day so would expect to see a difference if it was downloading lots of data.

The right hand bar appears to show the next 30 miles of traffic. The little symbols alternate between type of incident and time delay. As you get really close the bar changes to a distance count down to the actual incident. Seems to work well.

The traffic horizon seems to be longer. For example when I'm 90 miles from London the map view shows the traffic in town. Difficult to tell if the routing takes it into account. I believe it only factors in the next 50 miles. Will need to do more research before understanding this.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A minor app update, 13.012, was released for Nav4 devices today.
sixhundred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The data usage seems ok. This morning the TomTom downloaded 873Kb in a 2 hour period.

Rounded up to 500Kb an hour on a 1Gb monthly allowance I'd have to drive for approx 2000 hours to use my allowance. That would be more than 60 hours every day. Therefore no worries!

(Correction to previous post and I can connect multiple devices at the same time via Bluetooth. So can download traffic to TomTom and stream music to in car radio.)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Experience with TomTom 600 Reply with quote

Going back to sixhundred's original post...
sixhundred wrote:

As mentioned in various other posts there is a lot “missing” from the 600. But that’s when you compare it to TomTom’s other high end existing devices. If people need all the bells and whistles which make up the difference then find the TomTom device which fits the bill.

But that's the problem, soon there won't BE any of the old high-end models to opt for instead.

If you look on TT's own website, they have already relegated the GO1000 series (and 825) to an info page with no price quoted, so they are obviously phasing them out.
The VIA and START models still have prices shown, but they are lower spec-ed devices with fewer features, and you can bet your life they won't be producing any more in those ranges either.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: