Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 6000
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 6000
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buddy07
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well despite my misgivings on the "sticky" thread I bought a Go400 last night. (I'd say this isn't off topic because the underlying software is the same as far as I can tell, but feel free to move or delete if needed!)

In the end, I bought it because TomTom's default routing is better than any of the Android apps I tried, and the lifetime maps/traffic make it cheaper than the TomTom app over the course of a few years.

Sadly, initial impressions are not at all favourable, mainly for the reasons others have said. The map feels more "washed out", if that makes any sense; the auto-zoom is not obvious if it exists at all; there is no "avoid part of route", for roadblocks, towns or road stretches; I could go on (a bit) but like I said it's mostly covered above.

I haven't come across a traffic delay yet so can't comment on how it deals with that, other than the "event horizon" is really obvious when you look at the Traffic screen - I was under the impression that that was a data usage issue, and as they're using MY data now I'd have thought they could extend it.

I don't suppose anyone from TomTom reads these posts, but if they did I would just echo what others have said. I simply don't understand the benefit of creating something very good and then making it progressively worse.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddy07 wrote:
the lifetime maps/traffic make it cheaper than the TomTom app over the course of a few years.

Maps are lifetime on Tomtom Android, and the traffic is about £28/year.

I don't see much saving over 5 years if you bought a GO400.

I use the Android app all the time now, as I find it more responsive and faster on my Samsung Galaxy S2, than on my GO1000.
Buddy07
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, just checked and you're right, I'd mis-remembered my numbers. The app is cheaper, but not ENOUGH cheaper to overcome my slight preference for having a dedicated device.
jaycr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the almost complete lack of colour whilst in 3D driving mode? In 2D it's fine but when you switch to 3D the colours disappear and you're left with a grey background & black roads. Sometimes the colours look like they're trying to appear but then you turn a corner and the map refreshes and you're back to greyscale again. I returned my first 6000 because I thought the unit must be faulty (even the guy at PC World agreed it must be faulty) but the replacement unit was just the same. I then tried a 600 from a different supplier because I assumed maybe PC World had a faulty batch but this one was just the same i.e. 90% of the time the map is just grey & black. I cannot believe TomTom would release this piece of c**p in this condition. It's like buying a colour TV only to take it home to discover almost all the programmes are in black & white! Has no one else flagged this up as a major fault?
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially I would agree that the maps look (are) less vibrant than previous generations and other current units

However, TomTom have followed what Mio Navman did a few years back, and fade the surrounding detail to make your route more clear

It takes a while to adjust to - I've had a 500 since launch and now a 6000 too, and much prefer the new colour scheme and concept

It's not so visually stunning, but I find it the clearest sat nav yet (of any brand) in terms of turning and the road ahead

Maybe it just takes some getting used to
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
jaycr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just that it's less vibrant, it's there are NO COLOURS at all. To say that it's to make the route stand out more is absolutely not the case because even when you're in normal 3d mode without having input a route there are still NO COLOURS!
Surely I'm not the only one who thinks this is outrageous?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you're not the only one. I think the "washed out" colour scheme is crap too.

I also hate:
1. the default zoom level, so junctions are less clear
2. The fact only the very closest side-street names are shown as you drive (far fewer than older models)
3. The way the "next turn" panel is now at the top and often obscures the road ahead, while all of the space off to the sides at the bottom of the screen is now completely wasted.
shiwarrior
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

Just bought myself a TomTom GO 6000 due to the free lifetime updates and "always on" connection (and not using my phone which is good as I pay for internet)

just wondering about getting an micro sD card ready for map updates , but im not sure what size I should get

thinking about getting an 8Gb one, or shall I get the 16Gb and be done with it? as I don't want to ever replace it

thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your 6000 have 8GB internal memory or only 4GB? Mine already has 8GB and I would have thought that would be plenty for some time to come as there's only a single Europe map.

Even 4GB sounds enough to keep you going, with just one map installed.

I would only splash out on a memory card AFTER it becomes an issue. It's not as if you can add much of your own content to them yet!
shiwarrior
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply

I didn't know they made two versions ?
im not sure what is has internal, I haven't hook it up to the PC yet

thanks for the help
dirtyweeraincloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The way the "next turn" panel is now at the top and often obscures the road ahead, while all of the space off to the sides at the bottom of the screen is now completely wasted."
It's good to see that with the latest update the default zoom level has been altered so you can now see the road ahead with out it being obscured.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: