Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TT Start 60 and LR Heated Screen.....loss of sats
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TT Start 60 and LR Heated Screen.....loss of sats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boxbrownie
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: New TT Start 60 and LR Heated Screen.....loss of sats Reply with quote

Hi,
Just before my recent three week jaunt across France to Southern Spain I bought a Start 60 mainly for the larger screen as I already have an XL from a long time ago, all seemed well until going through northern Spain when the TT started loosing sat lock and sitting trying to regain lock for up to 45 minutes at a time, I initially thought it might be the temperature (+30C) as the machine kept bringing up the message "charging stopped due to overheating" (or something very similar). But I realised that the 2013 LR Freelander had a prominant heated screen, I wondered if it could be a combination of the two as it seemed fine all the way through France, but seems now to loose lock even when the temperature is cooler.
I am puzzled as to whether I should take it back and get an exchange (under 30 days old) or will the exchange model display the same fault?

Anyone else has problems with sat lock through this type of heated screen?

I have searched but cannot find any specific answers.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question is how does it work out of the vehicle? And what is the satellite info display showing?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, do a simple test. Wait for it to lose satellite lock then park up and hold it out of the open window. Does it all come good?
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: TT Start 60 Satellite loss & heated screen Reply with quote

I have just replaced my Go520 with the Start 60 because I liked the new display, the big screen and the spoken street names. BUT I have not been able to use it yet as it was too big to mount it on the windscreen and with Halfords (Hull) being very helpful I now have it mounted very nicely on a central airvent.
With the first try, sitting on my drive, it couldn't find a satellite for 45 minutes. When I took it out of the car it locked on to 5 satellites immediately!
The next try it found the satellites in about 30 secs, so I loaded a short journey and set off. It lost the satellites immediately and never worked until I stopped in the Supermarket carpark. Same thing going home. Never worked until I stopped in my drive.
You guessed it, I have a HEATED WINDSCREEN.
If I knew how to send a photo I would show the installation.
All this is academic now. The thing has switched off and won't switch on again, so it looks like it's going back; but what do I change it for? Another Start60 that doesn't pick up satellites???
I thought an external antenna might be the answer but can't see where I could plug one in to the Start60. Is there a Bluetooth version, and is that the type referred to as re-radiating?
Problem solved! I have changed it for a Garmin Nuvi 2548 at a similar price with free lifetime map updates and free lifetime traffic. It acquired the satellites in a couple of seconds and seems to be as good or superior to the TT in all respects. However, when mounted on the dashboard air vent it loses the satellites and is useless unless it is mounted on the corner of the windscreen where there are no heater wires. Looks like another trip to Halfords. Nuvi returned to Halfords. Garmin customer support tell me they don't have any problems in that respect due to the latest high sensitivity receivers. So it looks like it's just me and Box Brownie that have a problem.
Iphone 6
TT Via 135M
GO520 WiFi
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Heated screens Reply with quote

I can't believe that people with heated windscreens (and there are lots of them these days) are not having problems or are happy with having to mount their unit in the corner of the windscreen where the satellite reception is not shielded by the wires in the screen. Or is it just me who wants to be awkward and have a choice of where to mount my unit.
I have tried 3 different units (An old TT Go520, a new TT Start60 and a new Garmin Nuvi 2548) and none of them work when mounted on a dashboard air vent. If you have had this problem let me know. Better still, if you've fixed it, let me know how.
Iphone 6
TT Via 135M
GO520 WiFi
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I used a re-transmitter/re radiating aerial small powered device in my Mondeo costs about £17.00 the only one I found on a quick check was
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330692499536
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re-radiating antenna Reply with quote

exportman wrote:
Hi

I used a re-transmitter/re radiating aerial small powered device in my Mondeo costs about £17.00 the only one I found on a quick check was
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330692499536

Thanks Exportman. I note that the instructions for that antenna refer to the antenna as being fitted externally, but am I right in thinking that if I place the antenna in the corner of the windscreen, inside, where there are no heater wires, I should be able to put my satnav on the dashboard air vent where I want it? Cheapest one I've found so far is £39. A bit expensive but if it does the job......
Iphone 6
TT Via 135M
GO520 WiFi
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Heated screens Reply with quote

bazzza wrote:
I can't believe that people with heated windscreens (and there are lots of them these days) are not having problems or are happy with having to mount their unit in the corner of the windscreen where the satellite reception is not shielded by the wires in the screen. Or is it just me who wants to be awkward and have a choice of where to mount my unit.
I have tried 3 different units (An old TT Go520, a new TT Start60 and a new Garmin Nuvi 2548) and none of them work when mounted on a dashboard air vent. If you have had this problem let me know. Better still, if you've fixed it, let me know how.

I wonder if it is the windscreen type, or some other thing, because I have a Ford with heated windscreen, and Brodit mount for central position, and neither the TomTom nor iPhone have a problem with signal. Not much help, but I hope it isn't an issue with the newer TomToms.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it wasn't usually HEATED screens that caused problems for some sat-navs, but the heat-reflecting ATHERMIC ones?
shires999
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I thought it wasn't usually HEATED screens that caused problems for some sat-navs, but the heat-reflecting ATHERMIC ones?

I used to have a Ford Focus and that had a heated windscreen and didn't have a problem with getting a gps fix. Used both a TT one and TT XL Live
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athermic screens - yes! However, I also had a Ford with heated screen and it never failed to get a fix behind the screen BUT I did not use the centre air vents, just the dashboard. Perhaps this position does make a difference?? Anybody else help out??
swash
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Is the correct answer
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: heated screens Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts chaps. Hopefully the re-radiating antenna will be here tomorrow and that should provide an answer. In the meantime, I'll ask the question on the Jaguar forum. There is a built-in sat nav in my car but it is cr*p. I think it thinks I am on a bike and love country lanes. Watch this space.
I have bought a TT Via135M. and, guess what, it doesn't work when mounted on the air vent! It will only work when mounted on the bottom RH corner of the windscreen. I rigged up the re-radiating antenna with the antenna on the bottom RH corner of the windscreen. It made no difference. I tried it with the antenna on the back parcel shelf. It made no difference. I put the antenna out of the window and it worked perfectly, but so does the satnav when I put it out of the window. So I have got nowhere. I am going to have to mount the sat nav on the windscreen. Just as an aside; the mounting for the Via 135 is the most difficult one ever. Trying to fix the sucker to the screen with the sat nav attached is very difficult. That is one of the reasons I wanted to fit it on an air vent for ease of fitting and removal. The mount I use for my old Go520 is superb for fitting on the screen but it won't fit on an air vent.. Why can't TT standardize the mountings?
Iphone 6
TT Via 135M
GO520 WiFi

Last edited by bazzza on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:14 am; edited 2 times in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a Garmin Laughing
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Heated screen Reply with quote

Problem solved! Because of the difficulty of mounting and de-mounting the TT Via 135 I had another look at the re-radiating antenna. This time I placed the antenna head, which is magnetic and about 40mm square and 10mm thick, externally in the channel around the boot opening and fed the lead under the boot lid seal.
Now it works perfectly in the position I want it.
Iphone 6
TT Via 135M
GO520 WiFi

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: