Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - UK deploys eLoran to protect shipping against GPS jamming
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

UK deploys eLoran to protect shipping against GPS jamming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: UK deploys eLoran to protect shipping against GPS jamming Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
The UK will become the first country to deploy equipment to protect against the threat of GPS jamming.

Seven eLoran stations are being installed along the South and East coasts of the UK to provide an alternative, backup position and navigation service to shipping. Shipping equipped with eLoran will be able to navigate the busiest shipping lanes in the world even if GPS service has been denied through jamming.

The rollout, being led by the General Lighthouse Authorities (GLAs) of the UK and Ireland, follows successful trials in two stations at Dover and Harwich. Equipment will be installed at the tow trial sites and stations in Medway, Humber, Middlesbrough, Firth of Forth, and Aberdeen.

Full operational capability is planned by Summer 2014. Martin Bransby, Research & Radionavigation Manager at the GLAs, commented, “Awareness of the vulnerability of GPS is growing, yet electronic systems at sea have not evolved at a sufficient pace to meet these challenges. Today’s announcement is a significant step towards improving safety at sea.”

email icon

Bigbudgie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever happenned to good old fashioned seamanship and navigation skills? Ships have been transitting the English channel long before any of the electronic gizmos were invented!
lesliebeswick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Loran Reply with quote

That is why I'm learning to use a sextant......................
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigbudgie wrote:
Ships have been transitting the English channel long before any of the electronic gizmos were invented!
Quite correct, but were they in the numbers that they are now? I don't think so, with the possible exception of the hastily assembled fleet of 933 boats between 27 May and the early hours of 4 June 1940
taits
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Wow, E-Loran.... Reply with quote

I haven't heard that tern since the 60's when I worked at a Loran Sts for A & E. Unless they totally redesigned the equipment those aren't small systems.
But then, everything had since gone smaller.
Interesting but it will be needed with all the governmental No-no's going on
there and in the USA.
mch2qh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Stone age GPS Reply with quote

And we used to drive horse and carts, have valve radios and believe the world was flat nce upon a time. Look forward, not back. Twenty years ago we had container ships csarry a few hundred containers, today they carry 15,000 containers. Not to mention the mega ferries or should we go back to those seasick inducing tubs of our youth? Accidents were more common in the "good old days" too, yet the channel was quieter. I vote for the future. Isn't this forum interested in GPS technology and evolution?

Just in case anybody hadn't realised, the E in E-loran is pretty significant. Yes, I'm in the marine navigation industry before anyone asks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow, E-Loran.... Reply with quote

taits wrote:
I haven't heard that tern since the 60's

Odd, I see and hear quite a few.. (They are called "Common terns" after all!)

I'll get my coat....... Embarassed
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Stone age GPS Reply with quote

mch2qh wrote:
Just in case anybody hadn't realised, the E in E-loran is pretty significant
Then perhaps you would like to explain its vital significance to us all. Us older folk who know a little about these things would think it would probably stand for Extra LOng RAnge Navigation Very Happy
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eLoran is important because there is no back up except radar and mk1 eyeball.
All those salty sea dogs who used sextants on a regular basis are pretty much gone, the people now training the new guys are the ones who used a sextant to fulfill exams, not for daily navigation, much of that old fashioned knowledge is slipping away. No different to other walks of life where everyone depends on electronics.
Instead of having 3 people doing 4 hours on, 8 off watch, many ships are running 12 hour shifts with 2 people back to back, and rely on a watch alarm on the bridge which they must acknowledge every 12-15 minutes to stop them falling asleep, crewing is expensive! Many of the officers operating around the world have all the certificates but not the practical ability. Accidents continue to happen but its still cheaper than employing well trained crew, shipping companies Always run to minimum standards.
taits
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: LORAN Reply with quote

Long Range Aid to Navigation
When I was in it we had E, C and D was around but rarely seen. I was involved in E primarily but helped in C when needed.
Used by ships and planes; civilian and Mil.
Yes every one uses a computer now, I doubt they even know what a abacus or slide rule is used for. So much for evolution.
TheQuest
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: LORAN Reply with quote

Hi taits
taits wrote:
Long Range Aid to Navigation
When I was in it we had E, C and D was around but rarely seen. I was involved in E primarily but helped in C when needed.
Used by ships and planes; civilian and Mil.
Yes every one uses a computer now, I doubt they even know what a abacus or slide rule is used for. So much for evolution.

I still use a abacus, see Avatar. Wink

Take Care
TheQuest Cool
taits
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: The Quest Reply with quote

I'd bet many running the web side haven't even seen one let alone used one.
I have asked teachers my age, well into senior years, if they have taught either and none have.
I think both died out in the early-mid 70's.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently stumbled upon my old "four figure logarithms" book. Scary, very scary.

A few weeks ago I had my 17yr old son "helping" me do some floor tiling and wanted to set out the grid lines. Once we had established the best position for the base line I asked him to mark out a right angle from a specific point, he looked at me blankly. I said "use a 3, 4, 5 triangle", he continued to look at me blankly.

I blame myself really.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: