Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Golf Mk 7 GT discover navigation system help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Golf Mk 7 GT discover navigation system help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocarrollmater
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Golf Mk 7 GT discover navigation system help Reply with quote

Hi I am new to this so go easy on me, I am getting the new Golf tomorrow and wondered if I can download(and how to do it) the PGPSW speed camera database to it (and possibly some POI's). The satnav uses an SD card. The sat nav is a discover navigation system (DNS).

Many thanks on this.
mcmaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you get anywhere with this?
ocarrollmater
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Golf Mk 7 GT discover navigation system help Reply with quote

Have had nothing so far, don't think you can do it
jej12000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also awaiting a new Golf 7 and am interested to know whether your own custom POI's can be added to the standard Discover Navigation system. The unit comes with "branded" POI's and I think it is normal for POI data to be in separate folders rather than somehow embedded into the map itself? If so, presumably it will be possible to examine the content of the SD card, find the "branded" POI files, see what format they are in, and then add your own POI's in the same format to the same location..... or isn't it that simple? Anyone who understands these things, your comments would be appreciated.

I suspect that adding the Speed Camera poi's may be more problematic, as I'm not sure the unit has the ability to do the announcements or warning that the speed camera location is approaching - without some audible warning the speed camera data isn't much use. But just being able to add your own POI's will be really useful and actually a pretty basic function....
CJ57
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same position here. New Golf comes in 2 weeks time so haven't renewed my PGPSW speedcam subs until I find out whether it will work.

Any hints in the manual with your new car ocarrollmater?
ocarrollmater
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No hints that I can see in the manual
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the RNS315 in my VW. The maps on this are preloaded and you do not have access to the map data - it is held on internal flash memory. Map updates are achieved by inserting the new map which is on an SD Card and this is copied over.

Short answer for the RNS315, it is not possible to add POI - not that I've found. And even if you could add them, there is no facility to warn you when you're near a POI anyway.

So if the new sat navs available in the new Golf are similar, then I doubt you can add any POIs and there probably isn't a way to warn when near a POI either.
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was easy to add your own POI sets to the RNS510, which was the factory fit option in previous Golfs. You just had to use something like POInspector http://poinspect0r.blogspot.co.uk/ to create a sql database of them. The RNS510 would then give you the option to import this database from an SD card. However, you do not have the option to add warning sounds upon POI proximity, which I suspect is what you would really like to do. The question remains, is the DNS more like the RNS315 or the RNS510?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: