Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - LiPol battery Q.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

LiPol battery Q.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SimoninEaston
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: LiPol battery Q. Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
first post - I've been toying with a Satmap for a couple of years and have just started to use it in ernest with a view to cycle-touring in Brittany.
As far as battery charge life is concerned, I have got very mixed results depending on which make of AA cell I use, which is exactly what all the reviews have led me to expect. I think the switch to LiPol is essential prior to multi-day camping tours.
I've got used to the Good Folk at Satmap charging premium prices - everything I've bought so far - bike mount, map cards and so on, has been premium quality to match the price, but when it comes to batteries, I don't want pay £50 for a couple of Satmap branded LiPols when I am pretty positive I can get top quality units far cheaper - for example I replaced my iPhone LiPol and it cost £7...
Any comments, anyone?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Simonin.

Like you, I have tried to find an alternative to the official SatMap LiPol battery but have been unsuccessful.

Here is a photo of one to help you find what you are looking for.

Overall, Maximum Dimensions are --
Height 58mm, Width 42mm, Depth 12mm.

The battery isn't exactly angular, it has "rounded" qualities and is thicker in the middle than at the edges as if it is a battery about to burst.

You can see from the photos that the connection has a third, yellow cable acting as some kind of bridge (well, that's what I'm going to call it).

If you do manage to track down an alternative, please pass on the details.

Good luck.

EDIT, Changed Images to work.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
SimoninEaston
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - that's helpful.
I'll keep you posted!
johnjackson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The yellow cable is a link between 2 pins. If it is missing the batterey cannot be charged in the unit. The battery caddy obviously does have this link.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnjackson wrote:
The yellow cable is a link between 2 pins. If it is missing the batterey cannot be charged in the unit. The battery caddy obviously does not have this link.

Thanks for that info. So, does that mean that if I added a small link between these two contact on my battery caddy i could recharge rechargeable batteries in the unit?.

I know, probably a stupid question but electronics ain't my bag Baby!
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
stevendunn99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are quick; Satmap are doing a flash sale, ends today, and batteries are reduced to £18. These flash sales are 'advertised' via their facebook page.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
johnjackson wrote:
The yellow cable is a link between 2 pins. If it is missing the batterey cannot be charged in the unit. The battery caddy obviously does not have this link.

Thanks for that info. So, does that mean that if I added a small link between these two contact on my battery caddy i could recharge rechargeable batteries in the unit?.

I know, probably a stupid question but electronics ain't my bag Baby!

No,no,no ! Doesn't work like that...you need to buy a cheapo battery charger from R Dyas or Argus. I use Intec 2900mAh rechargeables, (Amazon or Ebay.) Trust me, charged up, they last for at least a good couple of days walk. I also use Satmaps own Lipol battery which is also excellent. However, the point I have made before is this :
If you are considering serious walking in the hills somewhere, particularly if the weather is inclement, then I always stick to my Intecs, (together with a couple of spare in my rucksack.....you may well ask why ?
Very simple...if you are on the top of Y Garn or the Lakes somewhere and your hands are freezing cold...it is so much easier to take out the rechargeables and replace them in situ, (assuming they need replacing.) I challenge you to easily take out Satmaps Lipol and then replace with the battery caddy....the fiddly connection makes it almost impossible...particulary in the wind and rain and with the light fading....trust me, I got caught out like this a few years back...never again...hope that helps.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the info, it certainly does help. Still experimenting between rechargeable AA's and the LiPol. Good point about cold, wet fingers even though I try to be a warm-weather walker now.

Alas, I was too slow for the Flash Sale which stevendunn99 mentioned.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
SimoninEaston
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late Post Script:
I eventually resolved the lipo battery issue by buying the current Active 10 Bike Bundle , which 'ticks all the boxes' for me - Active 10, bike mount, full GB OCM and... the lipo battery with car and wall charger.
SatMap accepted an offer of £180, which is a price I was pleased with.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: