Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bluetooth GPS for DSLR camera: technical specs help please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bluetooth GPS for DSLR camera: technical specs help please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teddoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth GPS for DSLR camera: technical specs help please Reply with quote

I was wondering if someone who understands GPS specs a little better might have some insights on the tech specs of this bluetooth GPS for Nikon DSLRs cameras. It is connected right to the camera and allows geotagging of your photos in camera (so you don't have to sync track logs with photos at home). It has two parts that are placed on the camera, and they communicate via bluetooth.

I'm just wondering how the GPS itself rates. It looks like SiRF Star IV is the GPS chipset, which I believe is the latest SiRF chipset. I was told one feature to look for in a camera GPS is compass orientation, which this one has. I remember my car GPS had WAAS, which is not listed in the specs of this GPS. Will missing WAAS or any other features available today reduce performance compared to what is readily available in GPS systems today?

It's not a cheap GPS system ($200+ after $30 shipping from China) and return would be uneconomical, so if I'm going to spend that kind of money, I just want to know if I am getting top of the line GPS performance. The other option is always to use my old GPS logger and sync my photos after I get home. I don't want to pay $200+ for the convenience of in camera geotagging unless the GPS is at least as good as the cheaper GPS data loggers or maybe a hiking GPS.

Can anyone help by reviewing these tech specs?

Specifications
ELECTRICALCHARACTERISTICS
GPS Chipset SiRF Star IV
Frequency L1, 1575.42 MHz
C/A Code 1.023 MHz chip rate
Channels 20 channel all-in-view tracking
Tracking sensitivity -163dBm
Bluetooth pair range Within 10 meters
ACCURACY
Position Horizontal 10 meters, 2D RMSC
1-5 meters 2D RMS, SBAS corrected (WASSCEGNOSCMSAS)
Altimeter Barometer Pressure range: 300c1100hPa(+9000mc-500m above sea level)
DATUM& PROTOCOL
Datum WGS-84
GPS Protocol NMEA 0138 ASCII
Baud Rate 4,800 bps
ACQUISITION RATE
Hot start 1 sec., average
Warm start 38 sec., average
Cold start 42 sec., average
Reacquisition 0.1 sec., average
DYNAMIC CONDITION
Acceleration Limit Less than 4g
Altitude Limit 18,000 meters (60,000 feet) max
Velocity Limit 515 meters/sec. (1,000 knots) max
Jerk Limit 20 m/sec*3
ELECTRONIC COMPASS
Magnetic Measuring scope 50A/m
Azimuth Range 0-359‹
Accuracy }5‹
Resolution 3‹
Data Logger
2G TF card 70kb could store 1 hours data, the total storage time is around 2-3 years
BATTERY
Battery 500mAh Li-ion
Operation Current 50mA with Bluetooth off and 90mA with Bluetooth on
Charging Current 300mA
Operating Conditions
Operating temperature -10°C-50°C(-2°F ~ 122°F)
Humidity Operational up to 95% non-condensing
SIZE &WEIGHT
Dimension 56 (L)mmX36(W)mm X 25(H)mm
Weight 50g (1.8 oz)
INTERFACE
12 pin USB port, Nikon 10 pin port, Nikon 8 pin port(for Nikon D90), USB charging port, Φ2.5mm remote port

The original pdf file can be obtained by googling "Eztag Bluetooth sirf chipset", it's the first link with a URL that starts with:
e-geotag.com.au/fileuploader/download/download/?d=0......
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you need “top of the line GPS performance" just for geotagging pictures?

Anyhow, the specs you quote seem pretty standard for a modern GPS receiver. It does seem to use WAAS, which is misspelt as “WASS” in “WASSCEGNOSCMSAS”. It should use WAAS in North America, EGNOS in Europe, MSAS in Japan.
Given a free choice the Garmin GLO would give better performance, but I guess your camera interface dictates the use of the specific receiver you are considering.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kartracer wrote:
Why would you need “top of the line GPS performance" just for geotagging pictures?

For a quick fix when taking a photo. You don't want to have to wait too long to get a fix before you can take the photo, do you?

MaFt
teddoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kartracer wrote:

Anyhow, the specs you quote seem pretty standard for a modern GPS receiver. It does seem to use WAAS, which is misspelt as “WASS” in “WASSCEGNOSCMSAS”. It should use WAAS in North America, EGNOS in Europe, MSAS in Japan.

I know WAAS is somehow important for accuracy so I was concerned not seeing WAAS in the specs. Thanks for reading the specs for me and giving me an idea of the quality of the GPS receiver and noticing that it probably does have WAAS.

To clarify, I want “top of the line GPS performance" relative to geotagging type GPS products that are on the market. So not top of the line in absolute terms, but top of the line in terms of the products available in this geotagging product segment.

I emailed the company about a few questions I had, and it turns out they "upgraded" (according to them) to a MTK3339 chipset but still have ones with the SiRF IV chipset too. Any idea which chipset is better for this application?
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teddoman wrote:
Any idea which chipset is better for this application?

Not familiar with that chip but the specs do suggest that it should be able to perform slightly better than the original one.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: