Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Iphone 5 maps not updating
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Iphone 5 maps not updating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caber
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Iphone 5 maps not updating Reply with quote

I have cameralert running on my new iPhone 5 on iOS 6.1.3 . The maps are just not updating in real time at a rate fast enough to keep up above 40 MPH even in areas with good 3G coverage. The app worked fine on my previous iPhone 4 running iOS 5 on the same routes. Is this a problem with iMaps and would it be possible to make a version of the app that allowed you to go back to google maps as the source even as an alternative to iMaps which I guess probably have to remain default to keep Apple happy. To be honest the app is not that useful without the maps working, I have tried with tom tom but usually my set up doesn't give loud enough audio alerts to be heard above car noise (Land Rover!) and Tom toms camera info is really not up to Cameralert standards!

Caber:)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maps only update when you do have a data connection - maybe you already knew this.

My iPhone 5 with iOS 6.1.3 is working perfectly with the maps keeping up on motorways, twizzly country roads and in towns. When I have a connection.

I don't run it with map view Always, but with Near Cam and Type Standard not Satellite or Hybrid. How does that compare with yours? I also don't have other stuff running at the same time, but can and do receive phone calls.

As for going back to Google maps - as much chance of that as whatever doesn't have a chance - Apple's system, Apple's lovely new maps!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
caber
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely have data connection but the maps just do not load properly. There are an increasing number of map apps delivering google maps but I guess not using iOS mapkit so it probably needs a lot more coding.

Overall mapkit apps using apple maps seem way slower, even the integrated maps app is slower than i Maps+ which serves google maps up quickly and clean!

I just tried again and my maps app is giving me a blank screen with blue GPS dot centered this is with a 3 bar wifi connection! I also have a continually spinning wheel in the bar so it does look like an app or data problem! any ideas?

Caber Sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not heard of any other users experiencing the issue and it's working fine here on an iPhone 5.

We're looking at the possibility of offering Google maps as an option but Apple maps are far more data efficient being vector maps, Google is still bitmap on iOS.

Does Apple's Maps app load and show the location with maps?
caber
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, At this point no it isn't. I am getting a blank screen with the gps dot in the middle, iti s cream in map view and black in satellite view so I guess the mapkit is broken. Any ideas?

Caber Sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is in Apple's own maps app? If so then I'd suggest you backup and do a full restore.
caber
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duh! I just tried restarting the phone and it went in to recovery mode. I guess it was sick. Now I have to reload all the apps as they have not restored from the back up.

Caber Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: