Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO 4.40 New Software has been released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO 4.40 New Software has been released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Privateer,

That's worked and makes them look much more noticable. Red infil and yellow border.

File size doesn't 'arf increase even on 256 colour, but works.
Thumbs Up
Don't seem to be able to attatch anything, otherwise would do to make available to all. Supreme Angel
mike67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Upgrade Reply with quote

Hi all

I think this is a very good site.

Upgraded to new software and now POI’s work well.

I have a couple of concernes though.

1) ASN just does not seem to work at all. For example with the old version when I drove into a multi story car park it used to start flashing ASN but with the new version nothing happens at all !

2) It seems to of changed the way it chooses a route and so far has chosen more in-direct routes!

Anyone else noticed this?
Kram
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade Reply with quote

mike67 wrote:
1) ASN just does not seem to work at all. For example with the old version when I drove into a multi story car park it used to start flashing ASN but with the new version nothing happens at all !

I think ASN is worse is the new version. When I stop at a junction it often seems to think that I've carried on past the junction, causing it to tell me to make a u-turn. The previous version didn't have this problem.
Quote:

2) It seems to of changed the way it chooses a route and so far has chosen more in-direct routes!

I've noticed that the new version tends to choose the route I prefer between home and office now, as if it now likes B roads more than previously.

A few more problems I've noticed:

There seems to be a limit to the number of POI files you can add. I've added *lots* of files, not sure sure how many, and now when I add another POI file it doesn't appear in the list.

Also, it seems to lose lock much more often than before. I think this is related to the number of POI files it is displaying and/or detecting 'cos things improve slightly when I disable POIs.

Cheers,

Mark.
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Favourite Route - and you need SatNav!? Reply with quote

MK wrote:
I think this is perhaps the way TT will see it ... I know what you mean like ... but they could reasonably class it as a pointless feature Laughing

even if they think it's pointless, they also should understand that the customers are the ones that make the business. if the 'easy' keyboard mode is the main thing, it's fine by me but please give us the possibility to deviate from the defaults.

for the GPS coordinates, you have this possibility. it's in navigation normal to use degrees, minutes and seconds but for whatever reason, it's not the default. at least we can choose. Wink
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade Reply with quote

Kram wrote:

I think ASN is worse is the new version. When I stop at a junction it often seems to think that I've carried on past the junction, causing it to tell me to make a u-turn. The previous version didn't have this problem.

hmm, let's think. you lost GPS contact. so ASN will use the current speeds (if the accelerometers are inside -- where are they located inside ?) and will apply whavtever the accelerometers measure on the current position. this signal is being 'washed out' as the accelerometers are not capable of measuring accelerations when the speed is steady. you write 'I stop at a junction' so ASN thinks, based on the last noticed acceleration data that you might still move. so, you're at full stop but the unit thinks you move and there you go. too far on the junction and the advice will be to make an U turn (or whatever advice appropriate at that situation.

you could make it go away by having better reception. how do you have the unit mounted ? upside down ? with or without external antenna ?
Kram
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade Reply with quote

[quote="imapbox"]
Kram wrote:

you could make it go away by having better reception. how do you have the unit mounted ? upside down ? with or without external antenna ?

The unit is mounted the right way up, sucker in the bottom right corner of the windscreen, unit resting on the dash, right-hand side of the TTG up against the metal pillar, internal aerial. I realise that this position cuts signals from up to about 90 degrees of the horizon but it did work *very* well with excellent signals for a month or so in exactly the same position with the old software.

I've convinced myself that turning on and off POI display (the global setting, not per POI file) while driving along does significantly affect the ability to hang onto a signal.

Cheers,

Mark.
HotSpot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Is it possible to export the Portuguese voices from TomTom GO to TomTom Navigator 3? Do you know a place where i can find Portuguese voices?

Tks
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade Reply with quote

[quote="Kram"]
imapbox wrote:
Kram wrote:

The unit is mounted the right way up, sucker in the bottom right corner of the windscreen, unit resting on the dash, right-hand side of the TTG up against the metal pillar, internal aerial. I realise that this position cuts signals from up to about 90 degrees of the horizon but it did work *very* well with excellent signals for a month or so in exactly the same position with the old software.

I've convinced myself that turning on and off POI display (the global setting, not per POI file) while driving along does significantly affect the ability to hang onto a signal.

Cheers,

Mark.

All this talk about having the unit upside down is rubbish. it wasn't MADE to be upside down.

I bought the TT Go external antenna, even though i don't have a heated windscreen, and the satellite reception improved considerably.

I found the new software [b] More Reliable [b] than the last. try the external antenna, get more satellite fixes, as you need at least four satellites for 3D, and more for accuracy.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually TomTom did make the unit so it can be mounted upside down. TomTom also have the ability to change the screen orientation and to flip the screen so that if you use it upside down the screen will still read correctly.

Personally it's not something I've tried, or want to try, but it's been engineered that way.
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Actually TomTom did make the unit so it can be mounted upside down. TomTom also have the ability to change the screen orientation and to flip the screen so that if you use it upside down the screen will still read correctly.

Personally it's not something I've tried, or want to try, but it's been engineered that way.

Dave,

Surely mounting it upside down wouldn't give an better GPS reception, as imapbox suggests.?
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:

that's true. outside the car, it works fine. inside you will see noticeable differences in signal strength of satellites if mounted upside down. I am pretty confident as well that the external antenna would work much better w/ it.

I had it upside down for some time and found some places where the signal went away, reverting to ASN; now that I have mounted it w/ the antenna up, it works much better.

ps, did you receive the pictures I sent you of the TTGO internals ?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not overly sure but I think the patch antenna will be facing upwards, so there will be a degredation in signal if the patch antenna is pointing down towards the dashboard. Perhaps something that TomTom didn't think about ?
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I'm not overly sure but I think the patch antenna will be facing upwards, so there will be a degredation in signal if the patch antenna is pointing down towards the dashboard. Perhaps something that TomTom didn't think about ?

for sure the signal degrades. you can see this when looking at the signal strength bars. put it w/ the antenna up and you see a much better reception.

(the question still is -- did you receive the pictures ?)
AlanH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying an Expansys 512Mb SD card for TTG. I've seen threads where people have had issues with some SD cards - any problems with the Expansys ones? Is it simply a question of mounting TTG with new card installed, and then installing the application/maps from the CD? Presumably I would then go on to install the update over the original version? Thanks for any advice.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imapbox wrote:
(the question still is -- did you receive the pictures ?)

Just checked my mail but nothing there apart from extending the size of Embarassed emails

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13

Jump to: