Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sygic - Nexus 4
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sygic - Nexus 4
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Sygic - Nexus 4 Reply with quote

Been trialling this on my N4 and so far impressed as seems to work fine. I have tried some of the free versions, but not really impressed with them.

I was looking at TomTom and Co-Pilot but neither provide a trial version to see what the product is like and TomTom is quite expensive compared to Sygic.

On Google Play, users are saying that Sygic forces you to download updates over 3G and won't allow you to use the app until it's done. Yet Sygic support say this is not the case. Also there is no mention of how many map updates you will get each year and you can subscribe to HD Traffic for £12 a year.

Co-Pilot has some good feedback but no lifetime maps and an upgrade is about £20 but doesn't say if this is one-off or lifetime. The traffic is £10 a year but first year included - but then you must purchase via in-app as the website versions won't work unless you purchase the original app through website. Speed camera alerts are free according to the info on GP

TomTom is not receiving very good feedback and i had issues with their Live 120 device and looking at pricing it their mobile version is expensive, but does give you lifetime maps, but you then have to pay for the HD Traffic £27 a year and cameras £17 a year.

So can anyone provide further feedback on the Sygic product for Android
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sygic downloads maps over WiFi
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
My Sygic downloads maps over WiFi

Thanks - how do you find the app overall? As I'm looking for something on phone for when don't have me satnav available and it seems to work nicely we cameralert
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it on a GAce2 and it works just fine. I have traffic but don't know how well it works as I haven't been anywhere other is a traffic incident yet. I have put PGPSW cams on Sygic without alerts so I can see them on the map and run CA in the back for the directional audio alerts for the best of both worlds.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I have it on a GAce2 and it works just fine. I have traffic but don't know how well it works as I haven't been anywhere other is a traffic incident yet. I have put PGPSW cams on Sygic without alerts so I can see them on the map and run CA in the back for the directional audio alerts for the best of both worlds.

kwl - i've been trialing it with the PGPSW cams running in the background as well and it seems to work nicely as flashes alert up at bottom of screen to say approaching.

the only thing i don't think it does while running in background is display what your average speed was through average area, but if go slightly over-speed it does flash up nicely to advise.

the other thing i like compared to the PND is that because the cameras are separate they don't cause a problem with the satnav software.

Overall I'm happy with it compared to some of the others, the only thing I've got to work out is how to make it a bit louder as compared to all other audio it is a bit quiet
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Sygic - Nexus 4 Reply with quote

walkerx wrote:

On Google Play, users are saying that Sygic forces you to download updates over 3G and won't allow you to use the app until it's done. Yet Sygic support say this is not the case. Also there is no mention of how many map updates you will get each year and you can subscribe to HD Traffic for £12 a year.

So can anyone provide further feedback on the Sygic product for Android

I have concluded a long time ago that some people who leave feedback on the Play Store are not smart enough to own a smartphone. It only "forces downloads" because they have ticked the Play Store box for automatic updates. Then they happen ........ automatically, i.e. when you switch on the app, which some people only do when they are sitting in their car. I have had Sygic for over 3 years and I have always chosen when to download an update, i.e. when I am at home with wifi. And while it is updating you can't use the app, just as you can't with any other app when it is updating.

What they are complaining about is also related to the second part. Generally each time it updates (3 or 4 times a year) it downloads updated maps as well, which means it takes quite a while (an hour or two).

I like Sygic and think it is very good. It has never let me down. I bought it over 3 years ago (it was expensive then) when I changed to Android and since then I have had about 4 major updates and many minor ones (as well as updated maps) and not paid a penny more for them. And the app has got better and better.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Sygic - Nexus 4 Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
I have concluded a long time ago that some people who leave feedback on the Play Store are not smart enough to own a smartphone.
Some of them are not smart enough to hold a Farley's Rusk
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol - well I've decided to go for it due to fact had no issues during trial and it works out cheaper than the rest for paid versions.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind it isn't free, although it says so. The free bit is for a trial period, about a week as I remember it.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Bear in mind it isn't free, although it says so. The free bit is for a trial period, about a week as I remember it.

As I understand it it is sort of free. After the week's trial is up you can still use the on board maps and it will still plot routes and follow them. However you lose turn by turn instructions.

But I must say it is much cheaper now than when I bought it 3 years ago. At the moment you can get Western Europe for £25. It cost me £60 originally. And you can all the maps they sell for £55, which is a very good deal.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's not free as been using the trial version, but out of the three main paid versions, Sygic is the cheapest, even when you take into account the HD traffic addon.

£18 for the app, then free map updates is a bonus, especially as TomTom is £41 for the app, then £30 a year for traffic.

Co-Pilot is the cheapest initially as includes free traffic for a year, but pricing soon increases if you want updated maps or speed cameras.
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Sygic for years, first on a windows pda, then on an HTC HD2 running windows, now on both my Nexus 4 and 7.
Before that I started with Copilot 6 but the routing was dreadful. TomTom 5 and 6 then they stopped supporting anything but their own hardware. I tried 4 programmes before going for Sygic.

After that first purchase I have not had to pay more, and it routes well and uses the TomTom maps, and initial speedcam and POI data, (POIs come from Google and is dreadful). I used it in France and Switzerland recently, and last year in Majorca by just downloading the maps (I had originally bought Western Europe).

There are two things irritate with Sygic -
1. telling me to "go straight on" or "keep slightly left/right" when I am on main road and staying on it.
2. Changing a route if I want to avoid a small part of it.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.
gregh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very timely post as I just logged on to ask the same question as my trial expired this morning.

Sygic are doing 30% off until 8th March I believe.

Are folk not using the Sygic speed camera database due to issues, or because you already had the pocketgps dbase up and running?

Thanks,

Greg
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it's because the consensus of opinion is that the PGPSW ones are better than the Sygic ones. PGPSW camd includes mobile sites, Sygic does not. Don't know where they get their cams from, but they get maps and traffic from TomTom.
I have the PGPSW ones loaded on sygic for visibility and run CA in the background for its directional and audio facilities.
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far as I can tell, Sygic use tomtom maps and everything on them. In turn tomtom seem to use Google poi information which is so frequently in the wrong place.
I do not trust the in - built poi data.
Speed cams come from Scdb.info and there is an in app "Report Police Trap" facility. They don't include mobile safety cameras, only fixed.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: