Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin eTrex location inaccuracy?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin eTrex location inaccuracy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vectis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Garmin eTrex location inaccuracy? Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm new to all this stuff and use a basic etrex dated about year 2000. which I got second hand.
I visit 'Where's the path' or Find the path sometimes and have found that the locations never agree with the etrex.
I am using british grid on the etrex and the recorded mark points are always West and North of the free to access 'Where's the path' co ordinates. I really need them to agree for recording purposes.
For example; WTPath=SZ48163 BNG93912
eTrex=SZ48069 BNG94389
Am I right in thinking I can set a degree of 'offset' into the Garmin to bring the above into line and if so how?
Would it be better perhaps to get a Satmap device and would this be any more accurate?
I hope someone can help with this one-thanks in anticipation.

Vectis
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you comparing those coordinates?

Current consumer grade GPS are generally as accurate as any other, although your original yellow Etrex will not perform as well as modern units as it had a poor antenna.

If you want a simple device to record coordinates I'd buy the Etrex 10, the only GPS device currently available that uses both GPS and GLONASS satellites. I have the Etrex 20 and find it far more accurate than any other handheld device I've tried.
Vectis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.
I am comparing the 5 digit co ordinate numbers both on the eTrex and 'Where's the Path' and hoped they would agree.
I have given the coordinates for both in my previous message.
This happens to be my backyard! If the antenna on the 'older' eTrex is as bad as you suggest maybe it's time for an updated model.
I was hoping I could correct it by dialling in some degree of offset in settings to make it useable.
Not sure about Satmap, it's very expensive and I don't know if you can capture spot locations as you can with etrex?
Vectis
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no offset, but bear in mind your 'back yard' might not be accurate on the map. I suggest you ought to do some further checking before you decide the Etrex is wrong Wink

Satmap is expensive, and I wouldn't buy one for my use, but it will record 'spot locations'.

If all you're after is that and you establish the Etrex isn't accurate enough for you then I'd recommend the Etrex 10, or even one of the older Etrex H models. H denotes the better antenna and even though the line is now discontinued there are plenty of them still out there at good prices.
jolly47roger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check that as well as choosing British National Grid as the coordinate format, you have also selected the OSGB (or similar named) datum, not WGS84.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you select BNG the map datum is set by default to OSGB.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: