Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - camera change
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

camera change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juggernaut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: camera change Reply with quote

Hi all,

i submitted a speed camera change in december, and at this moment in time it has not been changed in the database, how many drivers will be caught out before the database is updated

regards
Juggernaut
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is the only submission requesting a speed change which is why it hasn't been done yet.

The way the database works is we need multiple submissions and we use that as 'proof' or the location gets a visit by a verifier. In your case neither has happened.

If you have a geo-tagged photo or a photo showing the 30 sign and something showing your coordinates then we would consider using that to speed things up.

Hope this helps?

MaFt

PS - I find it a little rich that you imply the database is inaccurate. You're on your 7th annual subscription and these are the only 2 cameras you've ever submitted. Surely that speaks of the accuracy in itself?
andy912
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Love the database but.. Reply with quote

Hi ,

I love the database its great, but this does seem to be a little problem with it.
I love how accurate it is but it does suck how a camera in the middle of nowhere gets submitteed and if no one else passes it does not get added.

I guess its very hard to manage, accepting submissions without proof and i guess u get people submitting telephone boxes as speed cameras (remember someone posting this about a problem with a snooper)

Sorry for the spelling errors.

Be lucky
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pgpsw policy is to VERIFY before anything gets into the Database. That's why the database is so good. Yes, it means that some take ages, but it also means that duds don't make it. If this change takes ages it means no (or very few) members are driving around there - and the database IS for the benefit of members.

As for photos. It MIGHT work taking a photo with enough specific background to be positively identified on Streetview. I can remember two specific photos which showed the camera, a speed limit repeater sign and the local background of shops/businesses in one case and a particular nursing home in the other. Both were local cameras so I knew where I could stop to get out and photo them - it's not always that easy.

EDIT TO ADD - We do NOT use Streetview to verify cameras, but it can assist to identify locations.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth mentioning WHERE this camera is?
It may encourage a verifier to make a special trip or detour to check it out.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pGATSO:116787 and pGATSO:116788

A34 just south of Stafford.

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta!
(Not one for me, then. Cool )
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The northbound camera is not a huge distance inside the speed limit. Might it be possible to get a photo of the new speed limit which matches the (old) Streetview location? .....

EDIT - NO! forget that. In Streetview, the camera has a perfect location for a photograph, just before the pub AND on the lamppost immediately before the camera is a repeater sign - 40mph. If you take a time/dated picture of the new repeater at presumably 30 with the pub and camera in the background???

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the southbound camera, there's a little side road in exactly the right place. Take a time/dated photo from "X Marks the Spot" towards the camera and include the new speed limit sign exiting the side road, the camera and the big green roadsign. Robert's yer uncle maybe?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: