Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is it fault or Fortuna?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it fault or Fortuna?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErnieS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Is it fault or Fortuna? Reply with quote

I have a Fortuna GPSmartBT which I must admit I have had for quite a long while but never used in anger just sort of played with it until the batteries go flat then removed them and sort of forgot about it. But today I needed a second Navigator so I loaded Tomtom on my H5455 and tried to use the Fortuna with no luck it just searched for Sats for about 3 mins then reset itself over and over. It has 2.23 formware in it so I thought I wonder if I flashed it, it may help.... think again even though I have both cables serial and USB when I the refresh it just times out ? anyone any ideas ? or is it just knackered ?
H5550,H5455,Fujitsu Siemens Pocket L00X, VDO Dayton MS5000, Navman SE Sleeve, Haicom GPS, TomTom GPS, TomTom Navigator 2&3, TomTom RoutePlanner & CityMaps, Fortuna Bluetooth GPS & more Garmins than I care to Admit to! Is this too much?
ErnieS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back at this posting it seems a little hard to follow so I will try and make it more easy to follow (for me too).

I have a Fortuna GPSmartBT that I bought new about 12 months ago and have never used, I tried it out when I got it and it worked fine apart from eating batteries so I put it away after first removing the batteries. I got it out to use yesterday but all it does is "GPS searching Please wait" and then it reset about every 3 mins, the display does not show it has acquired any but if I step through to satellites on the menu I can see it is seeing some but they never appear on the first display which just shows the one it is checking. I came to the conclusion that its almanac was out of date so decided to reflash it as it is presently at version 2.23 and while Fortunasync will read and write to it it will not refresh the firmware. Am I doing something wrong or is it truly faulty? Has anyone else come across this?
ErnieS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I conclude from the lack of replies that my Fortuna is unique in this behavior ? Sorry this is brief but it is hard work on the pocket pc.....
ErnieS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Useful Addresses? Reply with quote

How about a new Forum then useful addresses for when things go wrong?

I could start it off with TomTom, Arkon and Navman Europe !

Just a thought but if anyone has has a contact phone number or address for Fortuna it would be appreciated.
Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to http://fortuna.com.tw/Support.htm the email address for Fortuna technical support is service@fortuna.com.tw
ErnieS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Philip but I've tried that several times and got not reply, I've also tried rachel@fortuna.com.tw, joanne@fortuna.com.tw, john@fortuna.com.tw and sales@fortuna.com.tw all of which have not been read and all from which I have had replies in the past and quite quickly too. Funny how there is no address on their site isn't it?
DeeJay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There now seem to be 3 issues in this thread.

1) Should there be a Forum for contact addresses? That's for
the Forum Admin.

2) What is the contact email for Fortuna? It *IS* on their

I share your frustration, but I *have* had a reply from that
address during the past week, which included -
"We apology for any inconvience because of the delay of our reply. We are always trying to reply customers' queries as soon as possible. However, due to the workload and time difference, there probably will be some delays. We really appreciate for your patience with us."

3) Have you got a faulty GPSmart? I'm no expert, but I don't think
there should be a need to reflash it after a lay-off of a few months.
Does the v2.23 firmware still run, or have you trashed it in
attempting to upgrade it? If the on-board firmware still runs I'd
suggest re-trying with nice fresh batterys and the best possible view
of a clear sky open to wide horizons as far as possible.

Good luck

DJ

e: PktGPS ["AT"] DavidRoberts.Org.UK
ErnieS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello David,

Yes it has got a bit messy, but to answer your questions.

I have tried to run the Fortuna which was working when I took the batteries out, but when I tried to use it just over a week ago it just found sats on the sat page and reset every 3 mins. But never showed them on the first page which is why I rightly or wrongly assumed that it had lost it's almanac (the bit where it stores the details of sats) it usually gets between 3 and 6 before it resets.

I after writing the first part of this tried to contact Fortuna with the service@Fortuna.com.tw as yet the mail has to be read. Then I tried the other emails all of which show unread.

The unit has never been updated because it won't update it just times out, however I can read it and I can write to it. I just can't refresh it's firmware. Which is the second reason for thinking it is faulty.

Oh and not only have I tried it with fresh new batteries but I have left it sat in the sunroof of my car powered from the car for 9 hours.... Its still not worked.

Little note of panic due to at least two of the advertisers on this forum saying "No Longer Available" on some of their Fortuna products Crying or Very sad
Matrox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ernies,
Only just seen this thread. If you'd checked previous posts going back some months i and a few others had this problem. After many months of trying firmware, software and back again i contacted Sylvia at Fortuna and eventually sent it back. It was obviously faulty and they sent me a replacement, which, touching wood, (i'm not superstitious), has been a lot better than my previous one when i first got it. Strangley it did seem as though it was a gradual deteriation of the product over about 3 months, so whether there is a faulty component i dont know. the main problem i have now as before is the life of the batteries. NiMh last about 3 to 4 hours with BT on. If the unit keeps performing ok i am going to modify it and hot glue a 4 unit AA battery pack to it. Using NiMh's will bring the voltage up to the full voltage of 3 Alkalines but with 4 times the capacity. (16 hours). I have also seen the new breed of chargers which charge batteries individually. I have often found one battery is completely flat whereas the other 2 are fine.
Anyway the turnaround should you get a returns number from Fortuna, is around 10 days.
Good luck,
Matrox

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: