Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - "Avoid delay" stretches permanently blocked out
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

"Avoid delay" stretches permanently blocked out
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buddy07
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: "Avoid delay" stretches permanently blocked out Reply with quote

First, as usual, apologies if this is covered on the forum - I have done a search and can't immediately see it. If I am informed of a delay by HD traffic, enter the menu via the traffic sidebar, select the relevant delay and hit "Avoid", that stretch of road is permanently blocked out on the map, even after completing my route, restarting the machine and planning another. Is this a known issue which will be fixed with an update, or something I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance.
uk89camaro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a new one on me. I don't think a permanent avoid has been possible since the version I ran on an Ipaq about 10 years ago! I could be wrong though.

What model re you running?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I've never done that. I find if the delay is that bad TT will offer an alternative route automatically.
Buddy07
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uk89camaro wrote:

What model re you running?

Sorry, it's an XL IQ Live from early 2010. Don't have it to hand so haven't got the exact details, but I updated the application in March 2012, maps version is 8.45.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fascinating "bug" if it's reproducible.
Can you provide any more details such as screenshots, showing the after effects?
Buddy07
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Can you provide any more details such as screenshots, showing the after effects?

Well, I'd love to, but I decided to do a backup and update last night, and the whole thing's gone to pot now. "Windows cannot format" etc. So I might have solved the problem by having to get a new one. Currently trying the "LowLevel Format" thing. Rolling Eyes
Buddy07
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I resurrected the device (amazing what a decent USB cable will do), reinstalled from a backup, and the bug is still there. Is there a quick and easy way of taking a screenshot?
uk89camaro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably easiest to take a snap with your camera/phone.

Just a thought though, you haven't got a road that's set to be blocked/one way in error, using "map error" reporting for example.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Connect the XL to your PC and use Windows Explorer to access the storage memory.

Create a new folder at the top level (i.e. so it's in the same place as all the other folders) and call it "screen".

Go into that folder and create a new, empty file. The easiest way to do that is to use Notepad to make an empty text file.
Call that file "capture" (Be careful if you use Notepad to make it as it will automatically get called "capture.txt", so you need to make sure that you rename the file to get rid of the ".txt")

From then on, if you tap the very top left corner of the screen, it will save the screen as a bitmap image and store it in the "screen" folder.

Unfortunately, if you want to post those screengrabs on this forum, you'll need to convert them into .jpg images first, as the forum won't accept .bmps of any reasonable size.

If any of that's not clear, just shout.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following on from Andy_P's post.

Once you have created the screenshot folders and files you shall not be able to zoom in on a map by tapping the "+" icon, to zoom in you need to "slide" diagonally onto the icon from about 1cm away and release the "slide" on the "+" icon.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
shires999
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I think I'm getting exactly the same problem but I didn't 'avoid' the stretch of route that is 'blocked' as there were no traffic problems. Never are on that stretch of road It has a big pink line overlaid the road.

I also have a TT XL Live from late 2009. (App 9.465, Map Europe West 900.4602)

I spotted it yesterday morning whilst travelling to Manchester on the M6 Toll. Basically the entire northbound road from the Toll booth near Walsall to where it joins the M6 was blocked and it tried to take me off. I ignored it and carried on.

I initially thought it was a mapshare update gone wrong but according to mapshare the road isn't blocked.

I did see this once before a few months back where I did avoid some traffic issues (different stretch of road though) and I did notice that did stay on there for a while (some weeks). I also can't remove the 'avoid' bit. Must be something to do with HD traffic.
I do have the screenshot facility enabled and taken a few shots but as I'm at work I can't transfer it of my TT. Will do so tonight though.

I have just done a full reboot of the device (hold the off button down until drum roll) and the avoid bit has now gone. Still doesn't explain why it was there in the first place.

Can't find anything on teh TT site though.
Buddy07
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the same thing, yep. I've got the screenshot folder set up and everything but not had cause to avoid any delays yet...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shires999 wrote:
Hi

I spotted it yesterday morning whilst travelling to Manchester on the M6 Toll. Basically the entire northbound road from the Toll booth near Walsall to where it joins the M6 was blocked and it tried to take me off. I ignored it and carried on.

I initially thought it was a mapshare update gone wrong but according to mapshare the road isn't blocked..

I think this is something different, as I think the OPs problem is the road ISN'T being shown as blocked (the dotted line graphics)

When you say "accoreding to mapshare, the road isn't blocked" How do you know? Where are you seeing that?

If you go into "Correct a map error" are you able to un-block the road yourself?
shires999
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't blocked in mapshare. When I go in to amend in mapshare the roadshows as being unblocked but HD traffic says it was marked as 'avoid'
I do have screen shots. How do I post them ?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, you can't upload images directly with this forum software.

So you need to post the images either to a photo-sharing website like Photobucket, or to a bit of webspace you own yourself (most ISPs give you a chunk of space to build your own website if you want, but it can also be used as a simple file-store).

Then you link to the images using {img} tags, so it looks something like
{img}www.my_picture_is_here.co.uk{/iimg}

(but replacing all the curly brackets with square ones)

You can use the "Img" button at the top of the writing window to add the tags.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: