Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Authorities Unable To Fine Speeding Motorists on M25
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Authorities Unable To Fine Speeding Motorists on M25
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Authorities Unable To Fine Speeding Motorists on M25 Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Errors and legal problems have left the Highways Agency unable to issue speeding fines on the M25, despite an extensive network of 36 cameras being installed along the road.

As one of Europe's busiest roads, more than 500,000 drivers are reported to use the M25 every day. Considering the high percentage of drivers who flout the speed limit, this means that the potential for speeding along this stretch of road is exceptionally high.

However, an error discovered by the AOL website revealed that despite their presence, no cameras could capture speeding drivers on the 117-mile road. This was due to a combination of technical errors and failure to obtain the necessary permissions.

According to the report, the cameras (which were upgraded to digital models in 2009) needed separate authorisation to be legally enforceable. If this had not been obtained for the area where the camera was placed then any drivers caught speeding could avoid fines and prosecution through a legal loophole.

A spokesman for the Highways Agency explained that the organisation is working with local enforcement services "as a matter of urgency" to resolve the situation and ensure speed cameras on the M25 are fully operational as quickly as possible.

Labour's Road Safety spokesman, Jim Fitzpatrick, also commented on the situation, stating: "If there is one place where we need working cameras it is on that stretch of motorway".

Source
email icon

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive the western stretch daily and I've known this for years.

Once they do get them working there's going to be a pot of money coming in until the word gets about.

Back in 2004 when they started the widening project between the M3 and M4 they installed temporary 40mph cameras to protect the workforce. For 2 years whilst these cameras were active was the only time this section has flowed freely with no hold-ups.
Even Friday evening was clear !
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Usual excuses.............. Reply with quote

'Nobodys fault'.....'lessons have been learn't' Laughing Exclamation
mjbwatson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding my motorbike down the M25 this morning heading clockwise from J5, I noticed that some of the average speed cameras no longer pointed at the front of oncoming vehicles but were pointing at the rear of vehicles having passed the camera. Is this now a general approach to ensure that rear numberplate only motorbikes are scanned as well?
legalspeed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting reading. I know that the report is regarding M25 motorway cameras, but if upgrading a camera from an old style to a new digital type (eg. monitron etc. on non motorway roads?) needs re authorisation, as mentioned above, could it also apply to local / regional community camera partnership areas also? If so. I wonder how many replacement and upgraded cameras have been overlooked regarding re authorising? Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I have will know better. Just a thought though.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjbwatson wrote:
Riding my motorbike down the M25 this morning heading clockwise from J5, I noticed that some of the average speed cameras no longer pointed at the front of oncoming vehicles but were pointing at the rear of vehicles having passed the camera. Is this now a general approach to ensure that rear numberplate only motorbikes are scanned as well?

Hope so Twisted Evil
timtech
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The average speed cameras on the A23 roadworks are like that. I thought that was the reason. Makes sense. But there's still a lot of people out there that don't know the meaning of "average speed"!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
mjbwatson wrote:

Hope so Twisted Evil

+1. From recollection, I'm pretty sure only the anti clockwise cameras were pointing at the rear, clockwise they were pointing head on?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
petrolhead276
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Usual excuses.............. Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:

How can you say nobody's fault.

The engineers installing these should know the legal situation for installing them and the highways agency & any council has a legal dept.

Shame on all of them for wasting public money implementing them & no doubt maintaining them without getting any return on that investment.

Another example of how they think they can implement a big brother watching us without people pushing back.

I would much prefer to have police vehicles patrolling the motorway as opposed to cameras, a friendly ticking off & a visible presence of mr plod is much more effective in my opinion.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Usual excuses.............. Reply with quote

petrolhead276 wrote:

I would much prefer to have police vehicles patrolling the motorway as opposed to cameras, a friendly ticking off & a visible presence of mr plod is much more effective in my opinion.

Do you really think a friendly ticking off is what you'd get if the cameras were removed and police patrols increased? How would they make up the lost income?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Usual excuses.............. Reply with quote

petrolhead276 wrote:
FrequentFlyer wrote:

How can you say nobody's fault.
He wasn't. He was being cynical. The quote is what he suspects that 'the authorities' woud say as per usual when the waste my money and don't want to actually blame/sack anyone for being so cretinous as to not look into the legals side of things before 'investing' tax payers' money in white elephants.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we could set up a roster of pgpsw members willing to exceed the speed limits on M25 in order to find out when the cameras become enforcement? (I'd do it myself, but unfortunately I live too far away to be able, sorry).

spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove the M25 yesterday from the M1 junction the A12 and back an hour later. I must apologise, Dennis, the weather conditions were too bad to help your 'are the cameras active yet' survey.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must try harder. Stop it!

Surely in bad weather you jam your foot down hard and go for it? After all, everybody else going slowly means you can get there before all of them.

Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Authorities Unable To Fine Speeding Motorists on M25 Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
Labour's Road Safety spokesman, Jim Fitzpatrick, also commented on the situation, stating: "If there is one place where we need working cameras it is on that stretch of motorway".

Why? Is there any evidence that this particular stretch of motorway has a worse accident record than any other stretch of road/motorway?

Bloody politicians - more interested in spouting emotive nonsense than in supporting evidence-based decisions.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: