Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigating to a town/village without knowing the exact road
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigating to a town/village without knowing the exact road

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nigelt28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Navigating to a town/village without knowing the exact road Reply with quote

I have a Tom Tom Go and have just updated the software and all seems great including speed cameras etc.

There is however one function which completely ruins the experience of using the Tom Tom. This is that when selecting a place, you must also select a road although it will allow you to chose anywhere on the road.

An example of how unhelpful this is was last weekend when driving to a hotel I knew to be in a prticular village but did not know the road name or where exactly the village was. Tom Tom could not help as while it knew the village, it would not let me select without the road name. I ended up looking at a road map and then browsing the map on the Tom Tom and selecting what looked like the centre of the village manually from the curser menu. Not very handy (especially while tring to drive at the same time!

Has anyone else found this annoying? I used to have an in built Sat Nav on my last car (Land Rover) and whilst not very good in many ways, it would at least allow me to select a town/village and lead me to the general centre of it.

I was hoping that this may have been addressed on the update but no luck.

Anyone any suggestions??

Nigel
dlegros
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming TTGo behaves the same as TT on Pocket PC, when asked for the road, just put in the name of the town/village again and it will take you to the approximate centre.

HTH

Dom
NigelJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nigelt28

I have had the same problem and have now changed from TTN3 to Copilot 5 which, in my opinion, is a much better program. You will find my question to TT and there subsequent answers at the end of the 'sticky' subject 'An Open Letter to TT'. TT have now been locked be out of the support system since I continued to ask for a resolution. As you will see they moved me to 'Level Three' !!!!!!! - Sounds like the Refuse Bin to me. So I changed to a different suplier - I don't see why I should give my money to a firm that treats me in this fashion.

By the way I find the routing under Copilot is much better than TTN3. Copilot gives me a (for instance) dirct run to Shrewsbury when TTN3 took me all the way round the ring road (an exrea 15 miles and through the town center) to take me to the Welsh Bridge Car Park which is a direct run from my home.

Nigelj
hornist
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Pocket PC TTN3, you can do this only if you have never navigated to a specific place in the village before.

If this is the case, then typing in the name of the village at the first screen of the address lookup finds the village, and when you go to the second screen the 'street' field is blank. Leaving the field blank and OK-ing out navigates to the nominal centre of the village.

However, if you have previously entered a street for this village, then when you get to the street screen the previous street is filled in by default and there seems to be no way to make it be blank.

Paul
scotth_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This also drives me insane.
MarkRD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
As others have said, its quite easy really. Even if the street list is populated, just tap in the name of the village again. Usually the village comes to the top of the list after inputting just the first letter or so. Then OK and you will be navigated to the nominal centre of the village.
Mark
avi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I want to go a place that I have no clue about their street then I use Major Roads. It clumsy but it helps.
Nigelt28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MarkRD, works perfectly! I think the TTG is now just about perfect (that is when I get a larger SD card that actually works!)

Nigel
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it would not have worked in your situation because you were driving (unless you have mobile internet access) but if you had the chance to put a search in Yell.com for a post office, pub or the like and the name of the villiage it will list the post code .you may then enter this into our favourite add on.I have used this method several times on my ipaq and ttn3 and it works well enough for me !
dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: