Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nationwide POIsearch in Sygic - utopia???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nationwide POIsearch in Sygic - utopia???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mxmaciek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Nationwide POIsearch in Sygic - utopia??? Reply with quote

Now, the typical use for me is: land on the airport. Ho to hire car, turn on my SatNav, look for POI(which is located far away, in rural location,and distant to the company's postal office). But... in Sygic - I can search for POIs in the radius of 35miles/50km only.
not to mention that in BeNeLux it would be useful to look into Belgium destination from Amsterdam airport, but as a minimum Iexpected NATIONWIDE POI search.
So I wrote toSygic Support. Answer I got:
"We are aware of that. We are hardly working on that. We cannot confirm when and if this will be fixed".

Because English is not my native language, I'd like to ask other users if my interpretation is correct:
- We are aware of that - I was not only one user claiming it;
- We are hardly working on that - they have printed my support request on a sheet of paper, and they are using it as the support of one of legs of their desk, on which they are hardly working (sleeping);
- We cannot confirm when and if this will be fixed - they have no knowledge if and when they will have their office furniture replaced (effectively - when they would see my claim again)

Is my interpretation correct? Laughing
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I do't see much point in a 'nationwide POI search'. Surely if you are driving somewhere and want to know what is nearby the you simply search around the city you are going to?

Can you provide an example of when a nationwide search would be useful?

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. A friend has just told you that a trip to Leeds Castle makes a good day out. Find out whether it is a practical day trip for you. (If you know where it is, pretend thay you don't) I can search for York Minster and plot a route to it from the south coast and once I have found out where it is, look for someplace to stay. Why shouldn't everyone be able to do just that. For goodness sake, it's only a database of locations, and it must be more difficult to limit it to a radius from your chosen position than not.

@ mxmaciek. Your summary seems about right but at least Sygic have told you that they know of the problem and are going to do nothing about it in the short term. There has not been a total lack of communication on the subject.
mxmaciek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

Can you provide an example of when a nationwide search would be useful?

MaFt

Of course. As I said, let's say that I have landed in Leeds-Bradford (which is not best location but let's assume it is ticketwise), and I'm going to visit such place like... Fiddlers Ferry Power Station. Please remember that I already HAVE this station as a POI in SatNav, and using previously, let's say: iGo 8.3 I do not bother to check the nearby to the destination cities. If my target is adjacent to station Premier Inn - restricted radius search from Leeds will not find it either.
Last but not least: having B&B next to station, having work to be done on it, and having limited time & booked return ticket - I'll not even think about any town visit.

@M*TJT - fully agree, with the example. Regarding the answer - for me it was obvious, as you wrote, that it would be more complicated to restrict the search by distance.

Therefore, after testing several programs which DO have nationwide search like Navigon, when my old good HD2 died with iGo 8 onboard - I bouhgt Sygic only because the TT/TeleAtlas maps. I do not know if I'll try to obtain the refund... even if I have a strong base: on their website, Sygic states: @ This way you can plan routes to POIs, or be warned by the app when passing by a POI." in one page, while second confirms: "All Points of interest are grouped in categories such as restaurants, parking places or cash machines. Pick any POI from the list and you will receive valuable information, including addresses, opening hours and telephone numbers. You can also choose to be navigated there directly.". In both citations I do not see single word about: POI search will be/is limited to the radius of... or something similar, so by default - I should be able to search all POI in a country.

I think I can give Google Play a chance to say their opinion...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: