Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom 1005 - slow to update your position
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom 1005 - slow to update your position
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karlstr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: tomtom 1005 - slow to update your position Reply with quote

I've got a tomtom 1005, and I've noticed its quite slow to update your actual position on the map - this is as you're driving along.

Sometimes, its only clear where to turn, once you've passed the junction - only by a second, but thats enough.

I've had previous tomtoms for years - last one being a 940 and I never had this problem on any of them. My 940 did have an older navcore installed though. I suspect the software is now so complicated, that the CPU in the unit cant really keep up.

Has anyone else noticed this? Any current tomtoms which don't have this issue?

Failing that, any recommendations on a different unit?

Basically top priorities are:

- decent navigation that works (ie quick updating of the map when driving)
- ability to pick up a good GPS signal, even when in a city center (1005 isnt good at this - older ones were better)
- lane guidance so you have plenty of time to get into the right lane and work out whats happening at a junction.

Would be good to have:

- bluetooth handsfree
- IQ Routes equivalent
- HD traffic or similar

Occasionally handy:

- truck mode - when driving a larger vehicle

Thanks for all help and advice!
Bunty1948
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom 1005 - slow to update your position Reply with quote

karlstr wrote:
I've got a tomtom 1005, and I've noticed its quite slow to update your actual position on the map - this is as you're driving along.

I suspect that this is not going to help but I have a 1005 live and have never noticed this problem. I can only but suspect that there is a faut with your particular device. The only time I have ever noticed any sort of lag is when negotiating large complex juctions where the speed of the vehicle can sometimes cause a very minor lag, but it is very minor, and if I wasn't travelling so fast it probably would not be noticable. But that's my fault not TomTom's. The only other occasions is when stationary in somewhere like a large carpark and I'm facing the wrong direction. It can then require me to travel a few metres in order to orientate itself. But every device that I have ever owned has had these issues, mainly due to the time to proces the position from the satelites.

Alan
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that slows down the screen refresh is when you have POI sets set to show on map. You want to keep this to a minimum. This doesn't include alerts when close to a POI (eg camera warnings).

I've seen, after an update, that all new POI sets are set to show by default without you requesting it.
Brodit ProClip mount
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to what Gerry suggests.

GO to Settings / Show POI on map and deselect them all. See if that makes a difference.

If it does, only re-enable the ones you really need to show all the time.

It's worth checking that screen quite often, because every time you set up a "navigate to..." to a POI, it automatically switches that category's view setting back on, so they build up!
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karl, mine is doing EXACTLY the same mate!
its been doing it for 3 months now

i have had 4 replacement devices from TOMTOM

i will try the turning off POI and see if that helps tomorrow while i`m out delivering in my lorry Very Happy

sometimes, i am driving down the road and the car icon or arrow goes off to the right or the left and doesnt actually sit on the road, its like it doesnt know where it is!! its me off!
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
www.facebook.com/bongiovitributeband
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
uk89camaro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the posts I've seen about the 1005 slow response have been around a delay in accepting touch screen inputs. I am one of those, it's it's maddening to see a 3-4 second delay after pressing the "navigate to" button. Drives me insane.

Never had a problem with a map delay, much as I did with the equally infuriating 750 live I had prior to this.

I have a huge amount of POI's running on the unit, and as much as I can try, I can't get the unit to run any slower or faster with them on or off. I mean c'mon, it's a tiny jpg image, and a tiny data reference for the lat and long.

However, I do think Tomtom are guilty of under spec on the chips they run. A real shame, and an issue that I am convinced will cause many of their customers (me included) to leave in droves at the right opportunity.
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEAH, FORGOT TO MENTION THAT!

slow response when touching screen and massive lag like you said

sick to death of TomTom now, especially after 4 units!

want to try another manufacturer, but which?
heard Garmin isnt much better!
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
karlstr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info guys - I appreciate it!

I checked and I dont have ANY POI's enabled on the map, so I can rule that one out.

I'm not a particularly fast driver (in my car? ha ha) , so I dont think I'm just going to fast for it to keep up!

Wayne - interesting you get the same problem mate - its not just me! I dont think its a faulty unit really - the rest of it works OK, I think its just underpowered for all the junk theyve bolted on.

By the way, the other thing I hate about it is you cant read the glossy screen in any sort of sunlight - reflections are terrible.

I'm going to try a garmin unit and see if thats any better - I'll let you all know!

Thanks again!
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom contacted me today and they have sent me one of these free of charge

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/customised-navigation/camper-caravan-navigation/index.jsp

i have to send my current 1005 unit back when i receive the new unit, thank god!!
today my satnav has been going berserk while in the lorry delivering! the cursor keeps going off the actual road, it loses GPS signal all the time, and the screen is unresponsive, theirs always a delay!!
its also slow to re-route!

i will be glad to see the back of it!!
i will see how this new unit is, and if its no good, i`ll be switching to another make and model as enough is enough!
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
karlstr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne - brilliant - good luck with it!

Please let us know how it goes!
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hows yours been behaving Karl?
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
karlstr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given up with the thing - going to try a garmin for my next trip and see if its any better! Cant be much worse... :-)
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have tried 2 Garmins in the past, always top of the range models and havent been impressed
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
karlstr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too impressed either - tried a nulive 2320 - took ages to recalc when went off route, was sending me on an odd route etc.....

Do any of these things work?!
karlstr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Wayne,

What do you think of the new unit you're using? Any good?

Waynesters wrote:
TomTom contacted me today and they have sent me one of these free of charge

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/customised-navigation/camper-caravan-navigation/index.jsp

i have to send my current 1005 unit back when i receive the new unit, thank god!!
today my satnav has been going berserk while in the lorry delivering! the cursor keeps going off the actual road, it loses GPS signal all the time, and the screen is unresponsive, theirs always a delay!!
its also slow to re-route!

i will be glad to see the back of it!!
i will see how this new unit is, and if its no good, i`ll be switching to another make and model as enough is enough!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: