Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PGPS Camera Database with Go 1005
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PGPS Camera Database with Go 1005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: PGPS Camera Database with Go 1005 Reply with quote

Please forgive me if I've missed the answer, but I've just spent 30 mins searching the forum with no result.

I have just bought a Go 1005 to replace my 950. (free lifetime maps was the clincher). I can't see the device in Windows explorer, so how do I (a) back up the software and (b) install the PGSW database and ogg files.

If this has been answered previously please accept my apologies and point me to the thread.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, you can't see it with Win Explorer.

You now have to use MyTomTom instead of TomTom Home.

(a) You can't make a backup using Win Explorer.

(b) Go look at the download page for installation instructions for TomTom 1005 - it's different from what you've been doing. Notice there's a TomTom Zip file available. That's the closest I can get you to the process, I don't have the new improved later device. If the installation instructions aren't good enough for you, I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to put you right (and there's loads about it somewhere - Nav3 might help Search?).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the camera info. It seems to have worked fine. Now to try it out. If I can't use Win Explorer, does that mean I cant use the mapsetting.cfg to transfer my favourites from the 950 or is there some other cunning way I haven't found? And what do we do about backing up the device?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry, I dunno about favourites, hopefully somebody will come along and help - although if the 950 still works, convert favourites to POIs and install that way, like the Pgpsw cameras.

I really am struggling with this as I haven't got a 'new' model. There really is a lot written on the forum about it though.

As for what you can do about backup - all you can do is try to believe those people who say "Trust MyTomTom". Not encouraging, is it?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
pward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
Thank you for the camera info. It seems to have worked fine. Now to try it out. If I can't use Win Explorer, does that mean I cant use the mapsetting.cfg to transfer my favourites from the 950 or is there some other cunning way I haven't found? And what do we do about backing up the device?

Just been through the same upgrade process from a 550 to a 1005. To be honest transferring favourites is a bit of a pain. In theory it should be straightforward; TomTom provide a tool called the Content Transfer Assistant which can be downloaded from
http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14081/~/content-transfer-assistant

I would give the tool a go. However this didn't work in my case. It produced an error saying 'insufficient space on target device', so I ended up doing the transfer manually. This involved using POIEdit to read the mapsettings.cfg file and write it back out as a Favorites.OV2 file (note the US spelling). I then added the Favorites.OV2 file to the 1005 using Add Community Content in MyTomTom.

You can transfer any POIs you have created in the same way but there's a catch using POIs on the 1005 in that you can't search for a POI more than 50 miles from your current location. The only solution to this is to include distant POIs in your Favorites.OV2 file. It's not ideal but just the way it works with the 1005 NAV3 software.

Let me know if you need any further help.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pward wrote:
In theory it should be straightforward; TomTom provide a tool called the Content Transfer Assistant which can be downloaded from
http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14081/~/content-transfer-assistant

I would give the tool a go. However this didn't work in my case. It produced an error saying 'insufficient space on target device'

That's a shame, it's always worked for me, I've tried it four or five times on various models including two Go1005's.
Give it a try Tom...

pward wrote:
there's a catch using POIs on the 1005 in that you can't search for a POI more than 50 miles from your current location. The only solution to this is to include distant POIs in your Favorites.OV2 file.

It's true that the search radius is limited to about 50 miles, but it's fifty miles from WHEREVER YOU SPECIFY.
So you can still do a search for a distant POI if you can give it the name of a nearby town or city; or you can use the show map screen and just tap the map in the rough area before choosing "search nearby".

Also @Tom...
You'll notice that once you have everything on the new machine, you can now back your Favourites up without messing about with MapSettings.cfg. Your Favourites are now stored on the unit as a normal .ov2 POI file, and you can back that up to your PC along with all your other POIs and other personal content.

Also, don't forget there's an alternative method for loading or updating the PGPSW speed cams on these models where you just upload a "special" version of the zipfile (see HERE for the instructions.

TT reckon there's no need for complete backups now as you can always re-download maps from their servers and even if the device is completely "bricked" you can enter a special recovery mode to re-install the last known-good software.

Time will tell!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Install Guides can always be found here.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: