Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera alert and TomTom for Android
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera alert and TomTom for Android
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TMCsucks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Camera alert and TomTom for Android Reply with quote

Does Camera alert integrate with TomTom for Android?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no 'integration' as such but you can run CamerAlert for Android in the background while using TomTom in the foreground. Banners will show up on the screen as you approach cameras and you will also get your audio alerts from CamerAlert.

MaFt
rabbitseggs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: CamerAlert with TomTom on Android Reply with quote

I have loaded TomTom and CamerAlert on to my Samsung Galaxy Ace 5830. TomTom run fine. CamerAlert will give me warnings but will not show a map. I just get a blank screen. I would like to run TomTom with CamerAlert in the background. Can anyone tell me how to do this. At the moment if I turn on TomTom then I cannot switch on CamerAlert and vice versa.
TMCsucks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't seem ideal. Isn't there a way to load the Cameras database into the TomTom for Android application (like the iPhone process found here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=85133&highlight= )
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: CamerAlert with TomTom on Android Reply with quote

rabbitseggs wrote:
I have loaded TomTom and CamerAlert on to my Samsung Galaxy Ace 5830. TomTom run fine. CamerAlert will give me warnings but will not show a map. I just get a blank screen. I would like to run TomTom with CamerAlert in the background. Can anyone tell me how to do this. At the moment if I turn on TomTom then I cannot switch on CamerAlert and vice versa.

I'm not an expert on the Ace but a long press of the big button at the bottom should bring up a list of running apps, tap the TomTom app (it maybe listed under the map name) and it should bring that app to the front whilst CameraAlert continues to run in the background

If you install the PGPSW database in the TomTom map folder (instructions here & the following page: http://tinyurl.com/8bqapw5 ) you should also get the camera locations displayed on the screen as icons, but you will receive vocal notifications & the red flash from CameraAlert still running in the background - it's not ideal but works very well
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMCsucks wrote:
Doesn't seem ideal. Isn't there a way to load the Cameras database into the TomTom for Android application (like the iPhone process found here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=85133&highlight= )

It's not ideal but until TomTom (and others) add support for 3rd party POIs then what else can we do?

There is an unsupported method as mentioned above but we don't provide support for this directly.

MaFt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unsupported iPhone TomTom work around for warnings within the app no longer works since CRAPPLE released iOS6, by locking out access to the folders within the app you can no longer add custom POI files to the app at all - Mike
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: CamerAlert with TomTom on Android Reply with quote

rabbitseggs wrote:
I would like to run TomTom with CamerAlert in the background. Can anyone tell me how to do this. .

It is simple to set that up. Go into CamerAlert. Then menu, settings, advanced settings. Scroll down and towards the bottom you will see "On startup also run". Hit the arrow and you should have a list of all your installed apps, including TT. Choose that and exit.

Now when you open CamerAlert it will run in the background with TT in the forground.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: CamerAlert with TomTom on Android Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Hit the arrow and you should have a list of all your installed apps, including TT. Choose that and exit.

Now when you open CamerAlert it will run in the background with TT in the forground.

Just a point to look out for, when looking through the list of installed apps you may not find "TomTom" listed - my UK & Rep Ireland edition of TomTom is listed simply as "UK & Ireland" so you may have to look for the map name rather than TomTom! Rolling Eyes
rabbitseggs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: CamerAlert with TomTom on Android Reply with quote

Thanks peterc10. You have solved my problem
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is undoubtedly a very stupid question which I reckon I already know the answer to, but is there any way to run regular POI warnings on it?

As there appears to be no way to have poi warnings on TomTom Android adding this facility to CamerAlert would be very useful, add the poi icon to TomTom & problem of custom poi alerts is solved :D
wrinklyninja
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running TomTom for Android and quite impressed. A little basic but does everything I need although I agree with all the comments about POIs.

However I do have one problem which involves CamerAlert. When I get CamerAlert to start up TomTom evrything works fine until I come to turn off TomTom. When I exit TomTom, CamerAlert immediately starts it again which means it is stuck in a loop. Only way out is to restart phone.

Anyone else experienced this?

HTC Desire HD
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if you Exit CamerAlert first?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more a problem with the Android OS itself thinking that it needs to keep a service running...

On my Hero and Atrix I occasionally saw android restart the GPS Listener Service (our camera icon in top bar) as soon as the app was exited.

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
On my Hero and Atrix I occasionally saw android restart the GPS Listener Service (our camera icon in top bar) as soon as the app was exited.
I've had that on my Ace2 as well. Usually a restart of CA and another exit gets rid of the CA icon, but not the ideal solution. It seems that Sygic might possibly have the same problem as users keep banging on about Sygic using lots of battery after being exited, although I havn't noticed this 'feature'.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: