Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Subscription Renewel POLL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Subscription Renewel POLL

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Life Membership be revised and/or withdrawn?
Yes
64%
 64%  [ 22 ]
No
35%
 35%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 34

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Subscription Renewel POLL Reply with quote

On behalf of Dennis because someone would do it eventually.

I also take an opportunity to ask the Life Members to answer if they would willingly, give up their perk to aid the site.

Please keep this thread short and brief and submit your opinions in the discussion on this thread

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This options in this poll are pointless. The Lifetime Membership IS being reviewed/revised, so the poll has no relevance, unles it includes the options under consideration. Sorry I banged on so long about it.
mostdom wrote:
I also take an opportunity to ask the Life Members to answer if they would willingly, give up their perk to aid the site.
Subject opf another poll?
malc77
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="M8TJT"]This options in this poll are pointless. The Lifetime Membership IS being reviewed/revised, so the poll has no relevance, /quote]

I completely agree.
burtonian
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto (with all respect to mostdom who took the time to generate it).

Given the other thread, we're in danger of confusing the issues and missing some arguments. I agree the perk should be revised. As a lifer, I have already said that I'd willingly donate to the cause. Any thought of completely withdrawing the perk from existing lifers may result in ill-will and bad reputation. We'd be better off voting on agreed options put forward by Da Management after taking into account views expressed on the original thread (it ought to be stickied and referred to in next newsletter).
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serves me right for being a technological incompetent. If I had been able to create the poll myself, the question was to be "Should Free Lifetime Membership be withdrawn from existing Lifers" with only existing Lifers requested to vote. My view was that Darren saying it shouldn't be withdrawn was coming from someone who is not a Lifer and I expected to get a big majority of Lifers willing to forego it. The only NOs I expected was to be those awarded to people who only ever submitted in order to get the freebie and gave up once they'd got it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two questions being raised which would require two separate polls. However the overriding subject is the need to revise or remove the life membership!

DennisN wrote:
Serves me right for being a technological incompetent. If I had been able to create the poll myself, the question was to be "Should Free Lifetime Membership be withdrawn from existing Lifers" with only existing Lifers requested to vote.

With the possibility of non lifers being able to vote as well the Poll would have been inaccurate, and there is no way to filter them out.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what do I know, I'm just a thick old man! Anyway, if everybody on the site voted we'd get the idea I suppose - sort of democratic if you let the plebs vote, innit?

oldfogy
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with this poll is that it does not show if lifers are voting or if just people who normally pay so therefore possibly expecting either a reduction or freeze in the current charges.

Maybe a second option should have been included asking if the voter is a life member or not "Yes/No"

I would have thought PGPW need their opinions, more than ours.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but like I said I didn't (and still don't) know how to create a Poll, but that was my intention - I filled it all in but when I pressed GO it started arguing with me, so I gave up!

I'm a life member, for what that info is worth, have been since Feb 2006 (my joining date - I had previously been submitting cameras by email and had not registered, so I benefitted like all the others from the award for previous submissions when charging was introduced). They introduced charging just as I was wondering how the hell to make a donation without getting into Paypal. They didn't even show an address where I could have sent a cheque.

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldfogy wrote:
Maybe a second option should have been included asking if the voter is a life member or not "Yes/No"

The poll is not that sophisticated, and it still wouldn't prevent non lifers from voting on it.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been away for a few days, so I missed all the discussion in the main (now locked) topic about charging.

I'm currently wading through all 13 pages of it (and so far have no inkling as to why it will end up locked!), but as soon as I heard about this poll I was hoping to vote in it.

But having now seen it, I now feel it is far too simplistic to be of any use at all. It doesn't even ask the original question DennisN was hoping to ask.

Therefore I don't see how anyone can use it to justify their particular point of view. It would need several questions and each would need to be far more precisely worded. If the poll system cannot manage that, then any research of opinion needs to be done another way.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I thought it a shame that the other thread was locked too. I also think that the focus has been almost entirely on the 'Lifer' issue, with Life Members (rightly) having the biggest say, given that their status is probably protected to some extent by the original/current offer terms.

But no one (apart from the Management) really knows what part of the revenue problem this particular issue actually causes - it was really just raised by an OP with an 'off-the-cuff' question. As Darren said, the real bummer is the downturn in the PND market. Other good suggestions were made in the other thread (sounds a bit like the 'Other Place'!) which sounded useful, and if it hadn't been first derailed, and then locked, maybe more helpful ideas might have been made.

But it seems the time for member suggestions has passed. Maybe the issue goes rather deeper. We shall soon know.

If this seems slightly OTT, then that's because this is the only place left to make the point!
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have chosen to lock this thread as well as I don't believe there is any benefit to continuing the topic here. Sorry! Sad
Not sure if it will kill access to the poll but hey. So I have copied Darren's final comments from the other thread to here as well.

Darren wrote:
I think this thread has gone on long enough now so I'm going to lock it.

As I have said already, we have no intention of revoking Lifetime memberships for those who have already secured them. I don't believe that would be right or fair.

The team will now decide how we plan to modify the offer moving forwards. We stand by the model that rewards those who report but it will have to be a fairer reward.

Thank you to all of you who took the time to post and for the constructive comments, support and suggestions. I'd be grateful if you would now allow us some time to digest the contents of this thread and decide on how we will be proceeding.

We will make a formal announcement once that is done.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: