Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CF does not power my GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CF does not power my GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: CF does not power my GPS Reply with quote

I have used a iPAQ 3970 with CF jacket and Haicom 303 CF and OziExplorer. Now I have bougth a iPAQ 5550. I put on the jacket....but the LED on the GPS does not light up and the GPS does not send any data. Ozi find the port as COM4: CF_CARD_GENERIC-DDEA. To me it sems like it does not get power from the PDA. Anyone have had the same problem? I also tried the 303 on an older HP 520 with CF....does not work. On the 3970....work just fine. In a CF adapter on my laptop....works ok. On the 5550....no way Question
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strange indeed. Does your CF jacket come with it's own battery or is it just the CF slot? Does the sleeve have a power connector?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Barter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Some facts: Reply with quote

The jacket (or sleeve) is a US product I think called silver sleeve. It just slips over the PDA and has a CF slot on the top. There is no battery. When I go into Settings->Expansion Pack Information is says: External Battery: Not Present. Description: Compaq Compact Flash type II. It is no problem reading/writing to a CF card. So far everything seems to be OK. When I insert the Haicom 303 CF, the led does not light up as it normally will when the sleeve is on the 3970, my laptop, etc.

Still on search for the solution. (are there a configuration file for CF on the iPAQ?)
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, there's nothing you can configure there. But I suspect that the sleeve connector may work differently on the 3970 and the 5550 - eventually you may even be out of luck with your new combination. It may work with a genuine PC-Card Jacket (which also has it's own battery)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a guess - but it could be that there's less (or different) power available on the expansion connector of the 5500 than on earlier iPAQs. After all, there's more internal power hungry components (128MB of RAM as opposed to 64MB on earlier devices, also built in 802.11b).

Most of the third party (that is non-HP/Compaq) expansion packs are quite old designs, and many came out in the iPAQ 3600/3700 hardware.

There's no user configurability of the Expansion Pack interface - from memory, all that sort of thing is done with a ROM in the Expansion Pack.

Realistically, I suspect the only option to get this working will be to replace the Expansion Pack with an HP/Compaq one. A single CompactFlash Expansion Pack (no battery) which is probably suitable is available for around 32 pounds (try this at Expansys).

David
kiwiruss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: try this Reply with quote

I had what i though was this issue on my ipaq 5455.

Make user you test the gps by running the gps test software and selecting "start gps". It may be recieving power, but just not activated.

Mine doesnt power up until im in destinator 3 as I have destinator set to start the gps at progam launch.

just a thought.
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HP iPAQ CF Card Expansion Pack Plus with Battery (FA121) is only £43 delivered from Expansys - something of a bargain.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: