Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iOS 6 !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iOS 6 !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry chaps but I really can't see the issue here, last night I updated my iPhone4 to iOS6, the TomTom app retained all it's third party custom POI files and the associated speed camera warnings.

Tonight I updated DiskAid to 5,4 and can still transfer POI files to the TomTom app and swap out the mapsettings.cfg file so I don't see what the problem is.

Since installing/ updating DiskAid have you gone to DiskAid/ Preferences and selected the "Advanced" tab then make sure the following checkboxes are selected:

Display all Apps even if they don't have their "File Sharing" enabled
Show Root path for apps
Show hidden files and folders
Export contacts in a single card

Once you have selected the above shut down DiskAid for the changes to take effect, re-start it and try again, it certainly works for me, the DiskAid configuration change is still the same as the original instructions I issued a few years ago, the update to DiskAid means you need to reselect the preferences within the program - Mike
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason it seems to still let you add / delete files from the folder (douments/Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB) where the mapseetings.cfg file is stored.

It won't though let you touch anything in the folder where the .OV2, .PNG and .OGG files are stored.

I have checked in the DiskAid preferences and

Display all Apps even if they don't have their "File Sharing" enabled
Show Root path for apps
Show hidden files and folders
Export contacts in a single card

Were all ticked.

I have reported it to DigiDNA and someone is looking at screenshots of the error message.
Bedsgooner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a reply from DigiDNA on my support ticket -

"I contacted the developers yesterday and they relay that the issue is beyond our reach being an iOS 6 intrinsic permissions issue. Sorry we can't really help you out any further than that :/ If we discover a solution we will get back to you as soon as possible. If you solve the issue yourself, we would be very interested to hear how you fixed it Smile"

So, Apple have locked out the map folder, no doubt at the request of TomTom. I must be renting my iPhone from Apple, I thought i'd brought my iPhone so could use it how i want to!

Looks like Jailbreaking is on the cards for me as soon as possible
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is nothing to do with TomTom. It was never a good idea to allow unrestricted access to any file or folder you choose and iOS6 has moved to lock down the system to secure it against attack.

However, there are folders that app developers can use to allow customers to add stuff to an app. TomTom however choose not to use it. They could quite easily design in the ability to add custom POIs easily if they chose to.
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bedsgooner wrote:
I've had a reply from DigiDNA on my support ticket -

Looks like Jailbreaking is on the cards for me as soon as possible

Also had a reply....

Sorry for the delayed response. We've been testing over the weekend without success. I contacted the developers yesterday and they relay that the issue is beyond our reach being an iOS 6 intrinsic permissions issue. Sorry we can't really help you out any further than that :/ If we discover a solution we will get back to you as soon as possible. If you solve the issue yourself, we would be very interested to hear how you fixed it Smile

I have so far resisted the urge to "Jailbreak" anything, does anyone know whether this would actually allow access to add / delete POI files?
wazzzzupmate
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, are you saying you can still add custom POI files after upgrading to IOS6 and Diskaid 5.4?
If so is your Iphone a 4 or 4S?
Mine mo longer allows transfer of custom POI's, same config as you but the phone is a 4S.
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adobbing wrote:

I have so far resisted the urge to "Jailbreak" anything, does anyone know whether this would actually allow access to add / delete POI files?

So have I, all the apple fanboys from work keep telling me to do it because you can do XYZ but I have resisted.

But I'm sorry I've paid good money for the TomTom app and I want to be able to do something I've been able to do since I started with TT3 on an old PDA.

Well done Apple/TomTom lets see what else I can find on the Cydia App Store then.
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad though it may seem, I still have the original version 1 TomTom disc and all the subsequent editions!

I was scratching around today and found emails from 2003 discussing delays in dispatching the version 2 upgrade discs. I did actually get an email from Corinne Vigreux the now CEO of TomTom

I sent TomTom support an email today detailing how long I had been a customer of theirs and how I hoped to remain a customer, but to remain a customer I need to be able to use custom POI's

I am waiting for a response!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sygic officially support 3rd party POIs on iOS devices by allowing the user to and files via iTunes.

There is nothing stopping TomTom using this (fully Apple-supported) method to add 3rd party POIs...

MaFt
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adobbing wrote:

Most importantly it copied TomTom with all it's POI's, custom warnings etc.

Alas this didn't happen with my move for my 3GS to iPhone 4, the backup and restore went fine and I have all my apps etc and settings but just the standard TomTom app so all custom POIs have gone, although my mapsettings did restore fine.

However I've spoken to the "jailbreak" expert on our team at work (a software developer too) and he is confident you will be able to access the file system afterwards but at the moment there is only a tethered JB for IOS6, so you need to be near your computer if you ever need to reboot your phone. So I'll hang fire for now.
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Sygic officially support 3rd party POIs on iOS devices by allowing the user to and files via iTunes.

There is nothing stopping TomTom using this (fully Apple-supported) method to add 3rd party POIs...

MaFt

Is Sygic any good and what format do the POI files need to be in?
bestyman
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have the same problem.

I read this solution on another site ( pasted below), but it does not really make sense to me.

Has anyone tried this or familiar with POI viewer?

Files can still be copied to the documents folders but not the .app folders. Apple say that this should have been the case previously. TomTom have been asked to consider this issue in their io6 upgrade but there's a workaround. Download POI Viewer which will allow you to import all your POIs. You then select the appropriate POI and by clicking on directions you get the option to naviagte to the POI in either the maps app ot the TT app. I think Diskaid has just died because of this !! Interetsingly though, despite their ads they have refused me a refund !! We'll see !

September 28, 2012 05:12
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a POI app rather than something that can transfer POI files to the map folder within the TomTom app, whilst it will let you navigate to a POI by selecting it in POI Viewer and it transfers the single location to the TomTom app it doesn't appear to perform block transfers of POI files which is what is required for warnings to work - Mike
raptorflyer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just upgraded to iP5 and i'm gutted to hear this news after failing to transfer my company POI's.

It transferred everything by itself when I updated my iP4 to iOS6 so i'm back to where I was a few years ago - no custom POI's and no TT bracket.

Ho Hum

Here starteth the waiting game...
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tools on this site help though in the meantime. I've also now got the default TT on my IP4.

However the Speedcamera App can be setup to run in the background and you at least get audible warning while TomTom is running.

They also have a mobile POI webpage (which you can save like an app) which allows you to search through all the POIs in the pocketworld gps database (it uses GPS to find your location) and when you find the one you need your can navigate direct to it in TomTom on the iphone.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/mobilepoi

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: