Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Basic (cheap!) Gps Requirement - eTrex10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Basic (cheap!) Gps Requirement - eTrex10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dilbert2k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Basic (cheap!) Gps Requirement - eTrex10 Reply with quote

Hello

I need a gps that can provide a very basic function, which is to act as a speedometer. I need a simple display that shows in reasonably large text current speed, and current time of day on the same screen.

The Garmin eTrex10 with its customisable screens would seem to provide this from reading documentation, but I've not yet found anywhere that can actually demo the product.

Can anyone please confirm the the eTrex 10 will do this (a screen shot would be great!), or perhaps suggest alternative options?

Thanks in advance...
D2K
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dilbert2k,
Not having an eTrex myself I can't answer your question but is there any reason why you are limiting yourself to either a handheld and/or Garmin?

I can confirm that my TomTom Car SatNavs can show both time and speed at the same time.

Edit - And so do my SatMap Active 10 and Android phone. Of all my SatNavs, the Largest display of time & speed is on the Android.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
dilbert2k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I am happy to consider other vendors, but had decided against a car type sat nav as I don't need any functionality beyond speed and time display and want to keep the cost down! I have iPhone and iPad both with car sat nav software, but want something a bit more rugged than either of those.

Thanks for the response though.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for me to say but if all you need is speed and time and you already have the iPhone and iPad I would suggest that, with the correct app, you just need to buy a rugged case to Tough them up a bit.

I've seen plenty of mentions of "Otter Cases" around these forums. I'm sure there must be other makes though.

EDIT - Should be Otter Box, http://www.otterbox.com/apple-cases/apple-cases,default,sc.html

Also http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/article.php and scroll down to OtterBox
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Originally, I ignored this thread as I don't have an etrex 10, but it appears that noboldy else has either. Yes, I'm fairly sure that any etrex will do what you want (within the constraints of a fairly small screen of course), but so should almost any other handheld GPS as well. Also, many smartphones and GPS-enabled tablets, etc. can do the same, perhaps requiring a suitable (free) App.

But IMHO the fundamental difference is that a handheld GPS will be "weatherproof" and can display continuously for perhaps 20+ hours, at which point you slip in a fresh pair of batteries if required. A phone/pad is likely to run continuously for a far shorter time (and probably have a significantly inferior GPS performance) at which point you need to recharge it (unless using a power dock).

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
GPS4U_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllyCat wrote:
Hi,

But IMHO the fundamental difference is that a handheld GPS will be "weatherproof" and can display continuously for perhaps 20+ hours, at which point you slip in a fresh pair of batteries if required. A phone/pad is likely to run continuously for a far shorter time (and probably have a significantly inferior GPS performance) at which point you need to recharge it (unless using a power dock).

Cheers, Alan.

Absolutely - a phone is designed for making calls checking email etc and have GPS as an afterthought - I had this brought home to me on a trip over the Cairngorms (by car at night) - the phone knew exactly where it was - trouble was without a mobile signal it struggled to show me on a map, and then the battery died ! Phones are designed to work in built up areas - where phone companies install most of the basestations - move out of range and the phone will transmit at a higher power to look for more distant basestations - hence those quoted phone battery life figures don't hold up so well up on the moors! Unless of course the phone companies figure out a way of selling phone contracts to sheep in which case using a phone up on the moorswould be fine once the basestations were up and running.

All the best, I.L.
http://gps4u.co.uk
jolly47roger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but if you have a phone, a portable power pack the size of a pack of cards costs about £20 and will run the phone for days. And phones have such big cards these days you can download maps - I carry everything south of Hadrian's wall on a £100 Android phone at 1:30,000. GPS itself doesn't need cellular reception. In my experience, there is nothing to choose between a smartphone and GPS for accuracy.
fruit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the Etrex articles on http://www.aukadia.net/gps/index.htm as an example.

There are some screen shots in the reviews there too as well as at http://gpsinformation.info/penrod/etrex30/etrex30.html.

One consideration is that the Etrex 10/20/30 cannot be externally powered via USB lead AFAIK.

Battery life is generally good but that would be considerably reduced if you need backlight with the display.

The display is daylight readable but not sure it would be sufficient for a quick glance whilst driving.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: