Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon directs me up one way streets - the wrong way
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon directs me up one way streets - the wrong way

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lotus49
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Navigon directs me up one way streets - the wrong way Reply with quote

I bought Navigon for Android yesterday and tried to use it for the first time today. I have to say it was a bit of a disaster and I'd like to know if I have wasted my money or whether I am doing something wrong.

The key problem was that I was driving around York, which has a lot of one way streets or closed off roads. Navigon repeatedly tried to send me down roads where I was either not permitted to turn or the wrong way up one way streets. I only downloaded the map yesterday evening so it must be the most current map. On this basis, my hope of ditching my TomTom looks far-fetched.

I also had problems with it not picking up the correct time so it was using night colours and was showing the wrong arrival time. I also had difficulty getting the voice directions to play after the first one.

All in all, I'm thoroughly underwhelmed. This is nowhere near as good as my three year old TomTom Go 520, which always gives me sensible directions.

Has anyone else had these problems? I can see how the latter two may be fixable but I am baffled as to why it would direct me down a one way street the wrong way. That is not a useful feature.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you check out the NAvigon on-line map at
http://www.navigon.com/portal/int/kundenservice/kartenfehler.html you can check the direction of the one way roads and send a report if they are wrong.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly question I know, but ...

You were in car mode weren't you and not, for example, pedestrian mode?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Silly question I know, but ...You were in car mode weren't you and not, for example, pedestrian mode?
There seems to be an echo around here Very Happy
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could simply be that the map data is wrong (see above). Places like York, from what I remember, have a habit of changing the one-way system every now and then.

I use Navigon on Android and iOS as my main navigation app and have never had it take me the wrong way on a one-way street. However, if the map data is wrong then that's not a problem with the app itself - the app will have taken you the right way according to what the map was telling it.

MaFt
lotus49
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Silly question I know, but ...

You were in car mode weren't you and not, for example, pedestrian mode?

It's a perfectly reasonable question but I'm fairly sure that it wasn't because the estimate time to arrival was about right. However, as I said, I was having problems with the time as well so perhaps I should check again.
lotus49
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
It could simply be that the map data is wrong (see above). Places like York, from what I remember, have a habit of changing the one-way system every now and then.

I use Navigon on Android and iOS as my main navigation app and have never had it take me the wrong way on a one-way street. However, if the map data is wrong then that's not a problem with the app itself - the app will have taken you the right way according to what the map was telling it.

MaFt

It's true that there have been a lot of road changes in York over the years but some of the roads I was told to drive the wrong way down have been one way for more than ten years and I would hope that the maps are updated more often than that.

I have been using Navigon again today in and around Leeds and I haven't had any recurrence of the problem. Next time I go to York, I shall make a careful note if this happens again of which streets it happened on.

I was late for a client meeting yesterday because of this problem so I wasn't best pleased as I'm sure you can imagine. Having said that, I don't want to chuck my money down the drain (I am a Yorkshireman after all) so I'll give it a second chance.

I like the idea of using my phone as a satnav but so far, neither Sygic Aura (which a friend of mine has bought) nor Navigon for Android are anything like the smooth experience I get with my bottom of the range TomTom, which has (almost) always given me impeccable directions and nice clear voice commands.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having used my Navigon on Android, running through a Galaxy Note on ICS a little more recently, it isn't a great experience

The active lane guidance box is tiny

I've problems locally with the one-way system which has been in place a few years now like you (different area), this is a map not software error (for me) - my TomTom and Navman work perfectly here

Its just too clunky and not a great experience. Potential, but not great - like ALL of the smartphone satnavs (perhaps with the exception of TomTom on the iPhone - which doesn't work for me because of the tiny iPhone screen)

In fact, I think the Navigon experience all round leaves something to be desired (PND and Smartphone) - great ideas, some really innovative features - poorly finished, and lacking substance or backbone to perform to their potential

I agree with Lotus49 - my TomTom, or even more so my Navman (with TomTom maps) provide MUCH better routing time after time and is currently what I choose to rely on
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@lotus49 - hadn't spotted the time problem. Makes me suspect that there waas a GPS problem, either with the satellite system itself (there has I believe been a test recently involving the system) or with your GPS receiver. Not sure how (or if!) this might have given you the 'one-way' problems, if your Navigon thought it was somewhere slightly different, but it strikes me as a vague possibility. Did you happen to notice if the displayed street names were the same as the real ones?[/i]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: