Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Route saving
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Route saving

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NigelJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Route saving Reply with quote

As I shall be spending a little while out of the country shortly and my wife may want to occasionally drives on her own on what are well known routes to me :D Is it possible for me to store a route for her to use that will include a normal short cut that I cannot seem to program into CP5?

The obvious way would be to drive the route and store the result - If this is possible - how do I do it!!!? Rolling Eyes Any ideas would be helpful.

Nigelj
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Store a particular route ? No. No system will allow you to do that. You can store a start/destination point and save this for future use and she will be able to then use this, but it may not drive the same roads she wants to drive.
NigelJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the quick answer Dave - its much appreaciated - I thought it wasn't possible so if she misses the short cut she will just have to drive through Hereford ! Rolling Eyes

Nigelj
CrashBiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you include waypoints in the saved route that are placed on your shortcut this may have the effect you want. Then save the trip. When your wife opens the saved trip it will apply the destination and the waypoints so you could choose to build any route your patience may allow.

Crash
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you could do that with the itinerary feature in CPL5 and find an address along the way and add it. Once you have the complete route, save the route. CPL5 won't try to optimise the route, so in theory the way you optimise it the way it will stick. It may still route you down a side road when you least expect it though.
CrashBiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

You have far more experience with these products than me so forgive me if I'm being a bit thick, but I just thought I'd add I use waypoints all the time (well not ALL the time but you know) to guide CPL5 down or away from routes where I know better.

If you set your start and end points in planning mode as usual, then ask for a route, you can see on the map where it has chosen to send you. Go back to the "Add a stop" screen, tap and hold on the start point (or the end point whichever is easier) and choose "map". This pops the map open centered on that point. Now you can zoom & scroll if necessary, and tap and hold on any road on screen and select "Add as stop". Usually one point is enough for me but if there is a complicated short cut you know it takes 10 seconds to click on the map and add a stop so you could trace the shortcut with 6 extra stops if you really wished in under a minute.

When done with these extra intermediate guidance points click ok to finish, click and hold the new point(s), select "Set as waypoint" then "Get Directions" and you're done. If the route is still wrong, repeat until it goes exactly where you want.

This has taken much longer to explain than it does to apply, so that I can choose to go Newbury to Liverpool via the M5 or the M40+M42 clockwise or M40+M42 anticlockwise or M40+M6 Toll road with only one extra waypoint to guide the route (on the M5 or M6 Toll etc)

To me this has become standard operating practise, is quick and easy, and if the first waypoint doesn't quite get it so far I've never needed more than two.

I confess I don't quite understand your reference to "optimise" (unless you are referring to the extra re-order stops automatically function) and cpl5 just routes from Point 0 to 1 to 2 etc so I'm also not quite sure how/why it would route down a side road when you least expect. If you don't like the route add another waypoint until it is perfect for you then save it.

Not sure if I've been helpful here or obtuse. Oh well, not the first time. :D

Cheers

Crash

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: