Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go530 fault - positions car to one side of the road
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go530 fault - positions car to one side of the road
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derryuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Go530 fault - positions car to one side of the road Reply with quote

Anyone seen this fault before?

My TT now positions my car about 100 metres to one side of the road I am on. Occasionally it will jump back to the correct position.

I tried a reset but still the same.

I've been using the TT in the same car for a while with no problems. Only recent change was the usual map and satellite updates.

Derry.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot of people on the Tomtom Forum with this problem. Appears to be problem with the last two qgpsf downloads for devices using the sirfstar3 chipset ie x10, x20, and x30.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happened to me three weeks ago on my son's Go720.

I'm not convinced it's the GPS Quickfix files though.

I thought my experiments ruled that out as a possible reason (1. deleting the Quickfix and re-downloading and also 2. deleting it and NOT re-downloading it)

A reset sorted it out for a while, but the problem DID come back again. He had to drive back to uni, so I couldn't investigate further at the time. I need to get in touch with him and see if it sorted itself out eventually.

See also TomTomForums.com....

Go 720 plots my postion 30m west of actual

and possibly
Installed latest TomTom software, now can't find accurate lock

I hear there are lots of recent reports on TT's own "Discussions" forum too.

Another big issue brewing??????? Rolling Eyes
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found on another forum:-

OK I think I have found the answer.
I have got mine working again by doing the following.
1. Go to change preferences
2. Use right arrow to select Set Clock
3. Press next
4. Press Sync (I did the Sync about ten times)
5. Return to main screen and if your like me all is fine.

Been checking now for over an hour and still working with correct location.

I noticed that when I did only 1 sync the location improved. Second time it improved it again. Therefore I used the sync button at least 10 times before returning to the main screen. I was very pleased to see the location as "spot on" and so far after many restarts, it still shows my location correctly.

Last edited by justbrowsing on Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brad99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 530 has been a few hundred metres out for a couple of days at least, possibly much longer as I don't use it regularly, only when going somewhere new. The first thing I tried was a pin reset while I was out driving (I stopped first!), but that didn't work. When home, I tried SYNC but nothing changed although I noticed the time was 1hr out after syncing, not sure if that's normal or not for the UK. Restoring an ancient backup didn't fix it, but another pin reset did after this restore.

This working condition lasted for several power ups, but I did something or other that brought the problem back (not sure what), and another pin reset fixed it again. I'm leaving well alone for now. I'll play around again next weekend.
derryuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt feedback all.

JB syncing worked for me as well. Shame as I'd just convinced myself I ought to buy a Nuvi 2495LMT from Amazon but logged on here first before I did :-).

When I was mulling over the problem yesterday I kind of though it was a timing problem but was puzzled as to why it occasionally jumped back onto the correct road. Perhaps that was just a quirk of the software.

Derry.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Brad99, I've always believed that Time Sync synchronises to UTC (GMT) and you then adjust the "hours" to your time zone.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not worked for me I'm afaid. First sync at 15:06 resulted in 12:36 being shown. Subsequently has held on to correct UTC+1. The position remains about 200m WNW of where it should be - and not on a road.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
harley-noj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: 720 moved to this tread Reply with quote

Hi All
Anita locked my thread about a simular problem I was having. The reason I do not post here was that I had tried the Sync without it makeing any differance. Sorry if I should have posted here.

Here is my original post

Hi My faithfull TT720 has just started to let me down. It was working fine last week. But when I usd it today it keeps switching from plotting my position correctly to being out by anything up to 1/2 a mile. Most of the time its out.
I've done a hard reset no different. App is 9.43
Map is Western Europe v890
What do I try next?
Thanks for any help
Noj

Since then I've also used clear flash 3 times. Changed the SD card, and put a backup (older) on. No differance.

Any ideas what to try next?
Thanks Noj
johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: TomTom Go 710 - position almost 1/4 mile away Reply with quote

I am having similar problems to those above but it only started today. The TomTom locks (7+ satellites) but to a location nearly 1/4 of a mile away.

TomTom Go 710 v7.903
Maps: Europe North v890
Postcodes v885

Last Mapshare corrections / QuickFix download: Thursday 28 June.

The TomTom was fine on Friday 29 June, but today - major issues.

I have tried:
Leave Device stationary for 15 mins to ensure it can receive all the signal data it needs.
Resync clock several times (but it showed the right time before and after, which itself is strange as it usually defaults to UTC=GMT so I usually have to add an hour).
Tried hard reboot i.e. switch off, remove SD card. Reinsert card and switch on to the drum bongs.
Tried the reset button for 10 seconds (with paperclip).

If the QuickGPS data is wrong, then surely the device would re-download updated ephemeris data anyway as part of its normal working?

Could this be related to the leap-second that was added at the end of June i.e. Saturday night and some existing data on the device just not getting on?

John.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at various solutions posters have offered over various forums today......

Try using Home to Mange my Device--Items on Device and delete the gps file. Then do the same for Items on Computer--gps file.

Disconnect and see if that helps.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 720 moved to this tread Reply with quote

harley-noj wrote:
Hi All
Anita locked my thread about a simular problem I was having. The reason I do not post here was that I had tried the Sync without it makeing any differance. Sorry if I should have posted here.

No need to apologise, Noj! Very Happy

We were beginning to see several threads about this positioning problem on older TT devices, and it's much easier for everyone if all the discussion is kept in one place. It's just as relevant to this thread to report that the Sync suggested here didn't work for you, as it is for others to report that it did work for them - that way we get a better picture of the overall results.

I hesitate to say that, so far, I've not experienced this problem with my 720 with 9.430 app and UK v890.4222 map. I don't use QuickGPSfix.

Just wait - I bet I shall be saying mine has started doing it tomorrow! Rolling Eyes
Samsung Galaxy S21
harley-noj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anita
Yes it’s a good one this,
As an update I've removed the quick fix files from both the TT720 and Home,
It’s made no difference, note I did not allow quick fix to download again.
Powered up my TT Rider 2 and that’s fine. Of course that does not use quick fix.
I'm looking in my files for an older backup to see if that works any better
Noj
johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: posible solution Reply with quote

dhn wrote:

Try using Home to Mange my Device--Items on Device and delete the gps file. Then do the same for Items on Computer--gps file.

Disconnect and see if that helps.

Thanks David,

I tried deleting ephemeris files on my Mac and then downloading new ones from TomTom servers - same problem.

The solution for me (for the moment)
Delete contents of ephem folder on the TomTom SD card (and not replacing it or rebuilding it). Leave the empty ephem folder itself.

..which is ok if you are at home or with access to a computer, but it seems that if you are already on the road then the problem will persist until the ephemeris files can be deleted (or presumable once they expire in a week).

John.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing a reset of the unit caused the app to disregard any data in the ephem folder and, instead, recreatean almanac of data from the satellites themselves.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: