Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO POI Speedcamera POI database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO POI Speedcamera POI database
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: TomTom GO POI Speedcamera POI database Reply with quote

TomTom GO SpeedcamerasTomTom will soon be releasing a new version of software for the increasingly popular GO GPS Navigation system. The actual release date will be announced on the TomTom website soon. This update should contain quite a few bit and pieces. The most important (as far as we at PocketGPSWorld.com are concerned) is the implementation of customisable POIs.

This means that the popular PocketGPSWorld.com Speed (sorry safety) Camera database can now be used. Ah (I hear you say) but what about the 3rd party warning add-ins? Well you don't need them any more TomTom GO now has a built in POI proximity warning system.

We have been fortunate to be part of the test team for this software and have created an article describing the use of these customisable POIs. Click here for the full article.

Last edited by MikeB on Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
traktori
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: For Palm also? Reply with quote

You said in your preview that you used and tested it in Palm version of TomTom. But in the subject and everywhere it was only for Go.

Can you comment if the upgrade is coming to Palm and if so is it coming even in same time as for TomTom GO?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it should be coming for the Palm (TomTom haven't given us any indications on when this will be).
dodgydodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super article! Can't wait for the upgrade.

For the new files, is this outside the UK?
PocketGPS_CONTINENTAL.ov2
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're hoping it shouldn't be as long as it has been since we last announced the release date as 12th August.

The Continental OV2 is for cameras that are outside the UK but in Europe.
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review. Don't suppose it will have the option for you to set a route by either quickest or shortest route?

I noticed from the review it said...

"This contains quite a few new features, amongst them are travel vias, avoid roads and some other useful additions."

Where it says to avoid roads, if you were to have to travel on the M6 for say 50 miles and you told the TT Go to avoid the M6, will it avoid the whole of the M6 and divert you via another road?
ahmurray
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there - great article, can't wait.

This new functionality raises two questions:

1) Does TT GO have a facility simply to track where I am driving (and therefore provide POI alerts) without having to plan a route. Obviously if I am going to a destination I have never been to before I will have the route programmed, but the majority of my driving is local or to destinations I have been to before, so I wouldn't need the navigation functionality but would benefit from reminders of safety cameras!

2) Is there a proper mount available yet? - I know the windscreen mount is solid, but I don't like to leave it visible in the car as it gives away the fact that I have the TT GO stashed away inside. I would like to get a properly wired in mount similar to my phone car kit with a permanent powered bracket. The documentation with the TT Go said one would be released soon, but not seen any signs of it.

Keep up the good work!

Ali
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The POI warning functionality has 2 modes one for POIs which are on the planned route (or 100 yards off route), the other for anywhere ahead of your current direction within an angle of (I think) 90 degrees so will pick up any POI when you havent got a route planned.

As for the Mount I had not thought of telegraphing the fact that a go is in the car if the mount is on display. Not that they would get mine. I always take it with me. Mind you my car might confuse them with mounts for 4 devices.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of the "bean bag" mount that Garmin use although I have not seen or used one. With a bean bag mount it would be very easy to hide all trace of the GO unit.

Perhaps someone will market one for TomTom Go :D
beer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the article, can't wait. Is it really going to be free? Seems you guys are quite close to Tom Tom who appear quite enigmatic elsewhere. Perhaps you can use your influence re: USA maps for TTGO bought in UK without the need to purchase new hardware. Any thoughts? Making a regional device smacks of cynical moneymaking, so I am surprised they are offering a freebie with this fantastic POI development.
tomcat76
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise... a great clear review for somebody who has only 8 days experience with Sat Nav... looking forward to the update...
Lampman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Great review. Reply with quote

Yes a mouth watering review,can't wait to download.Any chance the TT company will release the already long overdue cover and wired mount,or are we now thinking Christmas stocking filler? Rolling Eyes
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully everyone who turned up to the Stratford Manor Hotel managed to get a glimpse of the new updated POI software! :D
MalT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genltlemen.... My first post so please be kind... I have "lurked" for a long time but never felt the need to ask or the knowledge to answer till now!

Had a great time on Saturday in Stratford "playing" with the TTG but having slept on it for a few days questions have arisen...... Does the POI software warn you of a camera at all speeds or just when you exceed the limit? If it does how do people get on with the constant "bleep" in heavily populated areas.... as it bugs the crap out of me on other devices.
I have had several radar detectors (yes I know we have moved on & they are crap) I even tried a Road Angel but the constant bleeps at camera sites really annoyed me when I was already doing 29.5 MPH, I want the unit to tell me when I am going over the speed limit... not bleep at me when I am being a good boy.
Secondly..... Is the Traffic function going to be enabled when the new mount arrives....& if so any idea on the price of the mount?
Ta very much in anticipation...
Mal
PeterLuit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: TomTom GO POI Speedcamera POI database Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks for the indepth analyses of the new to come software. Reading your article, I assume that POI categories are stored in different maps on the SD (under the main country map). If so, does that mean, when a user first creates different cat's on the TTG (if needed) and that the ov2 en bmp files, can be uploaded in that map location on the SD?

Maybe even one step further, that the (power) user can upload an entire map (with it's useful name) and the bmp and ov2 files to the TTG SD card, so that the TTG software recognizes the new POI map and it's contents. Or does the user always have to go throught TTG own dialog to set up POI's?

Thanks,

Peter

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: