Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Performance issues after map condsolidation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Performance issues after map condsolidation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Performance issues after map condsolidation Reply with quote

I recently consolidated my Great Britain 1:50 000 map cards ( 2 cards: North and South) and 8 1:25 000 cards onto a single SD card using Satmap's consolidation service. Initially I was very impressed with it.
However, I've just returned from a trip to Glencoe (one of the areas I had 1:25 000 mapping for), and am very disappointed in the performance of the Active 10. When viewing 1:25 000 scale mapping, zooming and panning is try fast, but when I toggled to the 1:50 000 layer of the same area (Glencoe) both zooming and panning became so slow the Active 10 was unusable.
Since getting home (another area I have a 1:25 000 custom map of on the same card) I have tested the 1:50 000 layer, and zooming and panning speeds are fine; it's just the Glencoe area which seems to be a problem.

Had anyone ever asked Satmap to "unconsolidated" their map cards? I would like to split the Whole GB 1:50 000 back onto a separate card, while keeping all my 1:25 000 (and their original 1:50 000 layers) on a separate, single card.

Any chance, do you think?

Rob
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised the performance was so bad. It may be a slow/poor quality card, or one only just big enough to hold your maps. I would suggest that you have Satmap try again.

In answer to your question, I bought for 50k county maps on a consolidated card cheap from ebay. Satmap un-consolidated maps so that I could sell them individually. I got the impression that mine was the first request they had had. They actually sent me back four brand new maps in original packaaging.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:
I am surprised the performance was so bad. It may be a slow/poor quality card, or one only just big enough to hold your maps. I would suggest that you have Satmap try again.

In answer to your question, I bought for 50k county maps on a consolidated card cheap from ebay. Satmap un-consolidated maps so that I could sell them individually. I got the impression that mine was the first request they had had. They actually sent me back four brand new maps in original packaaging.

Unless yours were un consolidated more than three years ago, I can beat that ! I have many maps on one card and have never had a problem, but then , I'm not bothered about 1:50k. I've also had them 'split' a card into seperate maps on a couple of occasions now, for various reasons. Again, no problems.
I'm now hoping that they may do a special service price in one of their offers, as it used to be £25 and it's now £38....as my A10 is in serious need of an overhaul...damaged, buttons missing etc. due to my carelessness in the main as I use it a lot, and the other week managed to drop it from Ben Nevis for a reasonable distance as I slipped on the snow ! But, hey, it's still working as it should.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: