Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SatNav Sends Woman To Her Death
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SatNav Sends Woman To Her Death
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor kid. 3 months of driving on her own, dark night, not familiar with route, of course she is going to rely on the sat nav and take it literally. It should be part of driving tuition to be told the pros and cons.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, several times, my satnav instructed me "Go left on the roundabout, first exit.". With lack of attention in the dark, that slip road could have been mistaken for the exit. Sure, we can see it isn't, but we've all seen funny turnings?

We still don't know if that one is the roundabout responsible. But my satnav demonstrates the very, very narrow dividing line between an embarrassing moment of inattention and the same slip having tragic consequences?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's just ban Sat Nav’s and go back to paper maps!

That'll reduce the amount of accidents (NOT!) and stop people blaming Sat Nav’s for their crappy driving skills!

If you have an accident because you’re distracted reading a paper map you’d be changed with driving without due care and attention, but if blindly following a Sat Nav you can use that as a scapegoat?
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think blame should be part of it. I'm a much more relaxed driver with sat nav than I ever was with a map or a printed route. All I'm saying is that when the sat nav gives me a direction, I check that the road information signs agree, check that the voice and visual information on the sat nav are compatible, and then that the next signpost confirms I'm on the right road. That's because I've learnt that sat navs can have errors or mislead.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
andyt8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're 100% GerryC all the ones I've heard do say "Take the first EXIT".

However, I must admit when I first drove with a sat nav with spoken directions (rather than an old GPS12 to tell me where I was on the map) I did become a bit "mesmerized" with following the voice and nearly forgot to check junction priority before following the directions thereby only just in time breaking abruptly at the left turn junction.
Very Happy
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see how an inexperienced driver, driving at night on unfamiliar roads could become confused by sat nav instructions.

Some of the instructions are not very consise. A TomTom will say 'Ahead, keep right' when it really means 'don't take the exit to the left' and ''Stay in the right lane" when it really means 'your next turn will be to the right but it may take quite a while to get there'.

Some exit instructions at roundabouts are incorrect as the entry road to the roundabout is marked as two-way in the map data, this leads the tomtom to count exits from the roundabout incorrectly.

Learner drivers could benefit from lessons in following sat nav instructions as they often use them very soon after passing their tests.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New report here
and here

indipentant.ie wrote:
After the accident, Pc Stuart Medlycott, from Sussex Police, used a satnav to follow the same route that Miss Smee had taken. He said: “The device said cross the roundabout at the first exit, the first lawful exit being Titnore Lane.

I think that is confirmation!

I too would like more reference to the use of satnavs in the highway code and in learning to drive. Maybe it'll be something that will come out of the government initiative into satnav use.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the same article:
independent.ie wrote:
The Highways Agency has since improved signage at the junction, the inquest was told.
In my view, this also shows that the unusual junction layout may have been partly the cause of this as well.

pcaouolte wrote:
Some of the instructions are not very consise. A TomTom will say 'Ahead, keep right' when it really means 'don't take the exit to the left' and ''Stay in the right lane" when it really means 'your next turn will be to the right but it may take quite a while to get there'.
The one I hate the most is "Left turn ahead" meaning you should turn after about 1/2 mile - not the junction you are coming up to.

The same alert on a motorway says "After 2 miles, take the exit" which is much more useful and doesn't put you into panic mode.

Gerry
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are all pretty easy. My favourite hate is this one ... Test for yourself, navigate from N51.43950, W2.63031 to N51.44558, W2.61329 and do a route Demo.

At this junction, you turn off left, following the van in that left hand lane with the left turn arrow. TomTom says "After 400 yards, go straight on", then at the turning says "Go straight on."

Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN, just out of interest, does the map display show the manoeuvre correctly?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one at junction of the A42 and M1 northbound which looks as if it might be similar to your picture Dennis. In my example you would stay on the main carriageway rather than the left hand exit lane. Tom-tom tells me to "take the exit right". I've looked hard but can never find one!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map display shows the correct maneuvre.

Yesterday I went through that junction with the need to go straight on and the instruction given was actually to turn left!!!

Try the same start point as above, with destination N51.45048, W2.61915 and the demo will tell you to turn left at this junction, not go straight on!

So for this left turn, it says GO STRAIGHT ON

And for this going straight on it says TURN LEFT.

Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dennis. I don't know how common a problem this is, but, of all the TT map problems, it is the one that I come across most often. Shame isn't it, just when you need to concentrate on your driving, you have to check out the map display.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly makes you wonder how some people cope - we see from time to time how some drivers use only the verbal instructions, some even have the device almost hidden away.

For this particular place, it's my local stomping ground, I suppose, so I'm not really paying much attention to either the display or the instructions, but anybody unfamiliar with it would have a nice game! For unfamiliar areas, I'm running three devices, two on 2D display, one on 3D, so sometimes these foolishnesses are apparent on 2D, not so obvious on 3D (maybe Mark Kermode is right and we should avoid 3D?). Laughing

Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree. I use 3D when following a route I know, but need to monitor traffic and progress; and 2D when following a route I don't know. They used to call all these bits of knowledge and practice 'Roadcraft', and it includes sat nav use now.
Kia In-dash Tomtom

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: