Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HELP NEEDED - New member
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP NEEDED - New member

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchu6am4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: HELP NEEDED - New member Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'd like to invest in a speed camera detection system or a combined sat nav system as I now officially have some points on my licence!

I depend on my car for work/employment and cannot afford any more points, I'm normally a careful/safe driver but unfortunately from time to time I can over a little - sometimes not even realising it.

As I'm quite new to this sort of technology I would appreciate your help in identifying a couple of devices with pros and cons.

By the way I'm in the UK and only interested in UK maps etc...

Thanks in advance....Ash
PedroStephano
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Welcome Ash! Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the points manno. First, may I ask if you're after a satnav solution as well? Do you have any PND's already (personal navigation devices)? Do you have a smartphone? What OS?

I'm running an iPhone with the TomTom satnav and CamerAlert apps*. You really can't go past CamerAlert but it's not a standalone solution - it needs to go on either a PND or a smartphone.

*This combo is the dog's. The bees knees. It rocks.
mchu6am4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I do own a TOM TOM XL and also Galaxy SII - just downloaded the app from the Android Market but not quite sure how well it works and don't mind a buying a dedicated device either standalone or with sat nav...
PedroStephano
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: righto Reply with quote

well, imo you've got the best of both worlds. The advantage of having a PND is that It Just Does Nav. Doesn't get interrupted by calls texts or tweets.

And the android version of CamerAlert is (almost) as good as the iOS version (OK I admit I'm biased!).

Here's an overview of what to do - install the app on your phone. Register. Set up subscription (£20 pa) - worth every penny. App will sync with databases when updates done (48-50 weeks pa on a Thursday) and thus you will have uptodate cameras all the time. You can customise sound alerts, screen displays, etc. It really is ace. The forums for CamerAlert is http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=index&c=33 whilst the website that's specific to the app is http://www.cameralert.com/
Also @cameralert is on twitter as is @pocketgpsworld for tips etc. But grabbing a forum ticket here on pocketgpsworld is the quickest and best way to get help.

My summary - you're sorted - all you need to do is familiarise yourself with the app. Rock on.
PedroStephano
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: addit - here's the manual for android Reply with quote

addit - here's the manual for android
http://www.cameralert.com/android-manual/
mchu6am4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pal...will give it a go...btw does the cameralert app need data connection during use or just for database download?
PedroStephano
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your choice - if you run in map mode it uses data. Not much in "normal", a fair bit in "hybrid". If you run it in the background (ie multi task with a satnav say) it chews no data at all. Useful to know when abroad :-)
List mode showing a text list of cams uses no data. This point is covered in more depth in the manual.
PedroStephano
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FORGOT the most important bit - you can report camera changes - new, deletion, change in speed limit etc - and get awarded LifeTimeSubscription. Just like me :-) easy peasy
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchu6am4 wrote:
I do own a TOM TOM XL.
And how about putting the PGPSW speedcam database on the TT as an alternative to CA? It's the same dabase, although CA does give you directional alerts that only alert you if you are going in the direction in which you could get caught. The TT is a bit limited in this respect.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: righto Reply with quote

PedroStephano wrote:
And the android version of CamerAlert is (almost) as good as the iOS version (OK I admit I'm biased!).

Actually, because of the restrictions in iOS we can do far more in the Android version.

The one main improvement in the Android version over iOS is that we can pop up graphics/info in front of whatever app is running. So we have a pop up of the initial camera warning and then, if you are still over the cameras speed limit, a great big speed limit icon (with your current speed) will appear on your screen in front of whatever app you have open - eg music player, maps, navigation etc.

MaFt
mchu6am4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just subscribed...see how it goes...thanks to all for their help!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: