Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Apple iPhone 4s. Which is the best sat nav app
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple iPhone 4s. Which is the best sat nav app

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rat_tabs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Apple iPhone 4s. Which is the best sat nav app Reply with quote

Hello to all that have taken time to read this.
I have had a Navman 510 since 2005 and as I have just bought a new car and got a new iPhone so think it's about time to change what I do for Navigation. I have not used the Navman too much as I can drive pretty much to any where in the UK without using the map but it was useful in finding "4, The Mews, Anytown". I have used the speed camera databases too but stopped pretty much went it went from a monthly thing! I have found it useful driving in Europe instead of the fleet of map pages.
So questions
1- which is the best app for sat nav for the iPhone
2- does this app cover Europe too?
3- how do you get the speed camera database into the app?
4- will my iPhone still work OK with the onboard Bluetooth phone system and operate as a phone whilst operating the sat nav app?
Any opinions would be welcome.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple iPhone 4s. Which is the best sat nav app Reply with quote

rat_tabs wrote:
1- which is the best app for sat nav for the iPhone

It's a very personal decision - which is the best car? my personal preference is Navigon. Not sure why to be honest, I just like it. Plus they were first to market on iPhone and seem to be on top of adding new features as they are available in the OS. Possible downside is they have recently realised that free map updates aren't really financially viable and have recently started charging for them like everyone does for standalone satnavs.

rat_tabs wrote:
2- does this app cover Europe too?

Yes - they have country-specific and continent-specific versions.

rat_tabs wrote:
3- how do you get the speed camera database into the app?

You don't. As far as I'm aware only Sygic (and possibly CoPilot) are able to import the database directly into the app - this is done using iTunes.
I usually use our CamerAlert app that runs in the background and will give audible alerts as you approach cameras or are over set speed limit.

rat_tabs wrote:
4- will my iPhone still work OK with the onboard Bluetooth phone system and operate as a phone whilst operating the sat nav app?

Yes. I use my handsfree kit in my car while navigating and streaming music through to my stereo.

MaFt
rat_tabs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. So you can run both the navigon and camera alert apps at the same time? If so, seems the way forward. As a final question, what holder do you recommend. Understand they are all personal opinions but that's what I'm looking for!
Many thanks
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always gone for Brodit ProClip's in my cars (approx £18) and then used the Brodit mounts specific to the device (around £20 for 'plain' and £35 for one with power cable integrated into it).

They're not the cheapest but they are sturdy, don't damage your dashboard and last forever. Would you trust a 99p mount from eBay to look after your £400+ phone? Wink

MaFt
rat_tabs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update. Gone for the GPS Navigation 2 by Skobbler, which was only £1.49 and £4.99 for the whole of Europe maps in the App store. Wasn't sure about it, but as the price was very good decided to give it a try. Very surprised! Used it on a couple of journeys I know well, to test it out and it has been great, better than my Navman. I am sure that many on here will say it has flaws but for the price, it's worth a try before you upgrade to something else, if you wish.
rat_tabs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd update. The App is still working great for me. Very happy. Even happier having bought an Oso mount. Sticks like 'so and so' to a blanket. Sat Nav sorted for under £30 quid! Paid £400 for the Navman!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: