Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Why you dropped or intend to drop TomTom?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Why you dropped or intend to drop TomTom?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rasbelin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Why you dropped or intend to drop TomTom? Reply with quote

I mainly lurk around here and read how you folks keep arguing your points.

I've been sensing for quite some time that there's a real movement away from TomTom happening. It's not maybe all too vocal, but for sure the good news regarding all aspects of TomTom - their service, RND and marketing, are scarce between. The list with all features that have been crippled is seriously long.

I can only pity the current state of affairs, because I've so far sticked with TomTom, because I like the UI and overall I've only once made a serious navigation error (lost the GPS signal in Stockholm due to the tunnels on the E4 and I ended up trying to find the right exit for 15-20 min) during the years with TomTom.

I'm personally dropping TomTom and making the switch to Garmin (doesn't really matter what I switch to - you can read my Garmin commentary in the appropriate subforum), because of the following issues:

- There's no high quality live traffic updates for TomTom devices. The HD Traffic service has been bogged down far too much for it to be useful on longer journeys. I don't want to tie myself to a service that honestly speaking sucks.

- Worries that RND might slow down further and any new innovations are just pure illusion based on marketing. The quality of the maps hasn't improved. As for POIs, more innovation would be welcome.

- No new devices have a proper itienary feature anymore.

- Higher annual upkeep than with e.g. Garmin.

These were just my own personal reasons.

The question to the rest of you is: What are the reasons for why you dropped OR intend to drop TomTom and switched/switch to someting else? Is it because of the current state of affairs and the overall demise of TomTom's quality? Are they incapable of delivering anymore?

On a sidenote...

Just in case if you wonder how acquainted I am with my TomTom ONE XL, I've used it for four years now. Before that I had TomTom NAVIGATOR on a Symbian phone.

I have used it while driving many different coaches (limited the speed to 80 or 100 kmph), trips in Finland and Sweden of various length (5-1200 km), used it as a pedestrian and for a long holiday trip from the Netherlands back to Finland via Poland, Lithuania etc. The longest journey spanned over two maps, so I couldn't set it up in one itienary. Smile

Based on how much I've used the device, I'm pretty confident in making my case. I have updated the map regularly with the update service, used MapShare and I've used both a custom Finnish Gatso database, as well as the database of TomTom. There's probably not many features I haven't used in it.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really add much to the reasons you have given - I just depair of TomTom nowadays.

I am desperate to stick with them, because the UI is fine for me - I've tried several others, but none of them come up to TT, they are too much like comic book graphics for me.

I still have four working TT devices, including a built in Carminat in my van and Navigator 6 on my HTC Advantage, plus GO520 with RDS-TMC and GO550 Live. I run three of them (Carminat, 520 & 550) side by side daily BECAUSE no single device does everything I want, so the combination of all three gives me a better outcome.

I've been using TTs since 2005 and have owned nearly 20 of them, but missed out on the X40 range and have not gone into any of the newer Nav3 range - from what I read, the new devices are an even worse retrograde step than TT seem to have been aiming for with each successive "improvement/new model" since the X00 range.

My Live services on the 550 run out in July and I shall then have to face the question whether to renew or leave it out or switch to another brand.

I really want to stay with TT, but this HD Traffic fiasco - both the range and TomTom's outrageous disregard of us - is ridiculous. But I mainly bought the Live Services for the Google Search, which I find excellent. Thinking back all these years to when I got my first Live device (XL Live), after the initial free trial I decided to buy Live Services because the Google seemed to me OK for the money - it was GBP80 per year back then and I still decided it was value for money. So maybe I'll decide that the current GBP47.50 is also worth it in July. I just don't know. My map update service for the Carminat and GO550 both run until February 2013.

After experiencing PGPSW's brilliant CamerAlert software, I really wish they'd take over TomTom!! That's an example of a program written the way users want it, something that TomTom have been abandoning for the last six years. Crying or Very sad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not moved away from TomTom but just decided not to upgrade my existing 940. I normally like to have the latest gadgets but in this case I just feel there is nothing to be gained by a later model. When it eventually dies, I will have to make a decision on what to do, but I hope that is some time away.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too haven't switched - I have a great device in the 740, and HD Traffic is still the best there is available, it is just so much less than it was originally. I have though started experimenting with various iPhone apps, and also the Google navigation in Ice-Cream-Sandwich (which is very poor compared to the TomTom UI).

Google maps has the best resolution traffic I've found, but it looks like it is not licensed for navigation use.

For me, the key is traffic information. If someone comes out with an HD Traffic equivalent at any sensible price (and I paid £100/year or more originally I think) then that will be the trigger for me switching.
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
I too haven't switched - I have a great device in the 740, and HD Traffic is still the best there is available, it is just so much less than it was originally.

*SNIP*

For me, the key is traffic information. If someone comes out with an HD Traffic equivalent at any sensible price (and I paid £100/year or more originally I think) then that will be the trigger for me switching.

Yes, I would second all that, won't swap from the 940 (although I now also have Carminat with it's atrocious pronunciation) until something more radical (like HD traffic was at the begining) comes along.
Garmin CoPilot & Nuvi 200W (now retired)
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using tomtom for a good number of years First got it on a Ipaq I have a rider 2 which I purchased when they first came out and in general its OK. Traffic is not much of an issue on a bike, so have never subscribed to the traffic channels. ( In the car I also use Navigon on a HTC which does have traffic )

I recently purchased the new rider thinking it would be much better that the previous model which officially is still running Navcore 7.9. However I was extremely disappointed. The device only has 2 GB of Ram for maps and because it now has lane guidance can only fit one country on, so any rider wishing to travel Europe it is a useless device, Touring you travel light because you have very limited space, so no room for a computer to keep changing maps. The cheapest £ 250.00 does not come with a powered mount ( and extra £45.00) nor a bluetooth unit so you can hear the instructions.

Consequently I am keeping the rider 2 and selling the Urban as it is not fit for my purposes. When I need to change I will look at other manufacturers.
sixhundred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be sticking with TomTom.

The 1005 is a great device and I find the HD Traffic invaluable irrespective of the long range issue.

I see no real reason to move and am very happy with TT.
Rickj2903
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be leaving TT when the Live services expire on my 1000. The fiasco of app 9.058 slowing down Live services on my Go 940 was enough for me. I struggled for somewhere in the region of 18 months with TT denying that there was a problem then fobbing me off saying that the next update should resolve the issue (an issue which apparently no other users had reported).

One of the biggest problems that TT have is their reluctance to admit that there is an issue in the first place. The fiasco of the recent "leap year bug" with the later devices clearly displays this. Hundreds and eventually thousands of users were contacting TT support complaining that having done the update their units could no longer lock on to GPS. TT support continued to advise users to reboot/factory reset their units and at the same time sent emails out to users urging them to download the latest Navcore whilst denying that it was the latest download that was the issue. Despite literally thousands of users telling exactly the same story all over the World.
Rasbelin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I am desperate to stick with them, because the UI is fine for me - I've tried several others, but none of them come up to TT, they are too much like comic book graphics for me.

I'm too very fond of the graphics and the UI layout. At first the Garmin icons looked maybe even too soft. Also the map outlook really requires readjustment after over 5 years of TomTom products. But I'll see how it goes. I have a hunch that I need to try at least once something else than TomTom to see how it compares. The three main reasons for choosing Garmin were 3D Traffic, Tyre (Dutch 3rd party utility) and cheap map updates.

Though luck if the vendor, TomTom, doesn't value high enough longterm customer relationships when they lay out development road maps...

DennisN wrote:
I really want to stay with TT, but this HD Traffic fiasco - both the range and TomTom's outrageous disregard of us - is ridiculous.

You speak the truth, Dennis. Both their service and marketing has been appaling in terms of how they've done with the live traffic service. This is just what I pointed out in my first message. And it's very much the same message you and others have had here in the past. As said, I'm mainly a reader and don't actively participate here, but this just bugged me too much, so I couldn't resist starting a thread about the nuisance.

To me it seems confusing how TomTom has somehow lost the clue in their RND. They've managed to narrow down or drop alltogether very basic features by either imposing strict limits (like the itineraries) or by right out dropping them.

We haven't seen any positive development towards new directions either. This is why I can't see anything tangible behind the marketing of their new products. The only perhaps remotely interesting feature out of the recent products would have been the Top Gear Edition with Clarkson giving voice guidance. Although that would've been a mere novelty, because I don't usually use any audio at all. Razz

Seriously speaking IQ Routes is something I would have been interested in, because TomTom has a pretty good number of devices out in the field collecting data. Too bad IQ Routes and HD Traffic don't walk hand in hand, so the temptation to just take a chill pill and try cope with HD Traffic is next to nothing.

I do however think that for any navigation vendor to maintain a technological advantage over its competitors, real traffic statistics and analysing them to give all highways and other major connecting roads quality rankings, is the key to success. Adding live data to that mix means you have a killer product, as long as you can deliver. I really don't think the annual service charge has been an issue for TomTom. It's just the way they've foolishly screwed up their once pioneering service. ATM I can only see Garmin having the muscles for a substantial push, now that TomTom is down on its knees and seems to survive mainly by just repackaging old stuff.

IMO right now live traffic is the key for any major satnav vendors, which makes me wonder why TomTom are doing so awkwardly. Garmin is catching up by huge leaps with their 3D Traffic and, as far as I can see, there's no point focusing on RDS TMC.

Based on what I've read about the situation over in the UK, it's not that good there. As for North America, just the coverage information reveals that it's more of a patchwork than a good widely available service. Back here in Finland I haven't got the external TomTom dongle to work, so I've wasted money on buying it back in the day, when it was new. At least here RDS TMC is nationwide and the updates are sourced from a reliable source. However I'm pretty certain that in larger markets with more complex arrangements and agreements for distributing traffic information, RDS TMC might just be too simplistic.
cjyoung
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently switched away from TT (an old GO 910 with the traffic service) to Garmin (2595LMT with live traffic via Smartphone Link on my Android phone). The main reasons were:
- ongoing costs with TT e.g. no lifetime map update option in the UK
- reduction in features e.g. even basic things I use like itinaries/trips aren't there any more, and TT seem to think other social media functions are more important than re-instating basic navigation features.
- negative impressions from threads on HD range
- apparent lack of concern by TT for their customers' queries
- I only ever used TT Home, but the new program sounds poor from what I've read.

I've had a Garmin Dakota 20 walking GPS for some time now and the experience in terms of support and product utilities is breath of fresh air. Thus have become familiar with Garmin products and decided enough was enough after my GO 910 eventually failed.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been a loyal TomTom user for a number of years going through the 510, 520, 530 and currently a 550. I stopped using the 550 last year when I changed car and had to revert back from hard installs to the sucker mount, which promptly broke the first time I used it, and I’m not prepared to pay the exorbitant price demanded by TomTom for a replacement - then the HD Traffic lapsed in February. Whilst I concede that the TomTom routing is much better than my factory fitted sat nav, the big attraction for me is/was the HD Traffic, which is great when it works but which I’ve always found somewhat hit & miss, and the recent dumbing down has only served to exacerbated this. So, I’m faced with spending about £85 to get the 550 up and running with new mount and HD Traffic subscription or put that towards something else. I’m not impressed by the 1000 range with the new on-line incarnation of TomTom home, so that’s a non starter, and there doesn’t seem to be any progress with their routing app for Android, so I’m left in limbo. The fact is, it’s looking more and more like I won’t be buying another TomTom, unless of course they come up with something spectacular at an incredibly reasonable price, but that just isn’t going to happen!

PS. and not forgetting the abysmal TomTom customer service!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 TomTom Outlet Store has refurbished GO 550 Live with 12 months Live Services (inc traffic) for £119.99

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have my TT 520 and keep it updated as far as the PGPSWorld Speedcams are concerned, but I find I am using it less and less in my car.

I have an HTC Sensation and the mapping application that is built in is, in my opinon as good as TomTom's. However, I only cover a limited mileage these days. I have CamerAlert installed and it works very well. If I am going to unfamiliar location, I tend to use WAZE for navigation, because the Traffic statuses are very good indeed.

The 520 does not have any Live Traffic capability, other than the additional antenna and that has proved to be less than useful in the past.

I will keep the 520 and will probably upgrade my phone next year to another Android device.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
IanS100 TomTom Outlet Store has refurbished GO 550 Live with 12 months Live Services (inc traffic) for £119.99

Cheers Dennis, that makes spending about £85 to get my 550 up and running look even more ridiculous, I think I'll give Traffic a miss and cobble all my TomTom mounts together with chewing gum & string for the odd occasions when I really want to use it - this could be the end of an era for me with TomTom!

richard345 wrote:
I have an HTC Sensation and the mapping application that is built in is, in my opinon as good as TomTom's. However, I only cover a limited mileage these days. I have CamerAlert installed and it works very well. If I am going to unfamiliar location, I tend to use WAZE for navigation, because the Traffic statuses are very good indeed.

Which mapping application do you have on the Sensation? I have the original Desire on which I run CamerAlert, which is excellent, but the Desire seems to struggle with running Google Maps Nav & everything else as well. Also, I find that Google Nav is really only on a par with the built in Sat Nav so no advantage.

I still believe that TomTom routing is superior to most of the competition, but that may not be enough for them to retain a loyal customer base.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, I just use the native Navigation app on the Sensation. I'm running Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich, unrooted from O2.

I also use Waze 3.0.2.8 and I find the traffic information is very good. In addition, I have installed Route 66 Maps + Navigation 5.11.47; MapFactor Navigator 0.9.96 and NavFree World 1.9.7 both the latter two use OpenStreet Maps. I've also got ViewRanger GPS 3.0.5(3) but I only use that if I'm out walking.

Of all those, my navigation tasks seem to be split between the native app and Waze, and I don't have too many issues with either.

I can't really compare them with the TpmTom because the mount for it needs replacing and to be quite honest, I can't be bothered as my phone give all I really need.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: