Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help Please - Picking a Tomtom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Please - Picking a Tomtom
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
No they aren't. There's no 'Buy Now' button ;=(

Ouch, humble apologies. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
dagsky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the input guys! Well, i did go out yesteray before work in search of an older version of tomtom came up short! Even the XXL that i tried out in hafords didn't have I Planning on it, perhaps it was a new version.

Anywho, with an hour left to go to start work i managed to borrow my uncles 720 which does have i planning. Everything seemed to go ok, BUT, this little depot i'm working is not hooked up to the main boots system so we don't get a nice sheet telling us the optimised route to do our drops!!

I could almost swear that i went back on myself about 10 times yesterday!! Does the tomtom not work out the best route for me once i have input all the addreses or is that some other function i need to be using? It ain't no fun realising that crap i've just been down this way about 2 drops ago!!

If the tomtom can't work out the most effecient way for me to do my drops, is there possibly an iphone app that may do this and then i can put it into the tomtom? It will only be a few weeks of doing this i suppose, until i get to know the area better. The bleeding cheeky controller says to me, oh you're only coming back now are you!!!
dagsky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh sorry, forgot to mention, thanks for the link to the outlet, i defo think i'm going to grab one of the older models from there as they're a pretty good buy at that price plus a new map and plus 12mths warranty, beats getting one of the bay.....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dagsky wrote:
Does the tomtom not work out the best route for me once i have input all the addreses or is that some other function i need to be using?

Nope. As per previous replies, it simply cannot. Very few of the brand-leading sat-navs do. As already mentioned iGo is one of the few systems that have it as standard, and I think SOME Garmins may have a rudimentary version now.

dagsky wrote:
If the tomtom can't work out the most effecient way for me to do my drops, is there possibly an iphone app that may do this and then i can put it into the tomtom?

I don't know about iPhone apps, but for the PC there's "Tyre" ( from http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/).
That used to be completely free, but I've just seen they are now charging for the "pro" version which can create optimised itineraries.

I think you can also use Google maps (or Google Earth?) to create an optimised route, then export the route as a .kml file (or maybe its .kmx?) and use one of several free converters to change it to an .itn itinerary file that the TomTom can understand.

All a bit fiddly though!

Last edited by Andy_P on Tue May 01, 2012 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buddy07
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not really thinking of buying a new device yet. I have a two-year-old XL IQ Live Europe thingy that does what I need really nicely. But I've just had to investigate options for my employer, and I've read the threads on here with a bit of alarm - the sense I get is that TomTom have vastly reduced the scope and quality of their offering in the last two years.

Is that actually the case? Is a bit of it to do with rationalisation of bells and whistles that very few people use? And, out of interest, what would be the recommendation to most closely replace the above device if I needed to do so?
dagsky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've just had a look at the igo now and from what i see they sell software and no actual device. So yes, suitable for iphone. Now the app store doesn't exactly make it clear what you are buying, unless i'm not reading properly!

So basically over here, http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/navigation-for-europe-igo/id321933838?mt=8&affId=1713552&ign-mpt=uo%3D4 i'm buying their Operating System so to speak, then i need to buy UK maps, then i need to buy UK postcodes, then i need to buy speed cams? Correct or wrong? Anyone know if there is a demo version of this available? I'd like to try it out first before splashing the cash....
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autroroute Express 2011 can optimise nicely on a PC. About £40 on Amazon. Still doesn't get it onto your TomTom, but a printout of the route would give you the points to type in. Still dopesn't tip you off like the local driver does.

dagsky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup if i did get my routes in advance it would give me a good op to check out routes on my pc via all the above mentioned, buy sadly, this is walk in pick up those creates, here's your addresses, now move it!! Lol.....simply no time to plan ahead! I guess getting familiar with the area is essential, but this is out in the sticks where country lanes and back roads rule the roost!! I was so bleeding yesterday, i did a drop, went 5 miles away, then the next drop is right back where i did the original drop, only the next street.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not tried this online tool but it may help:

http://www.gebweb.net/optimap/
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new TT last month and really wish i'd remembered to take the old one out the previous night Embarassed . I bought a via 120 Live, and what a mistake that has been. Lots of lag between pushing buttons, making you think they haven't been registered, then you jump multiple screens. No option to backup. You can't use TT Home, instead having to rely on the new web based software. Lots of functions crippled or removed.

In all, very disappointed and wish i'd bought another One XL IQ routes (TMC receiver is cheaper than a live subsription too). Dixons/ Currys/ PC World did have them in stock recently, but haven't checked lately.

Mark
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksfish wrote:
rely on the new web based software

Now there's a lovely oximoron if ever I saw one! Joker

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksfish wrote:
Lots of lag between pushing buttons, making you think they haven't been registered, then you jump multiple screens.
If you think it's faulty or not performing how you would expect it to, take it back and excersise your consumer rights. In the first 6 months, it's up to the retailer to prove that it's not faulty or that you have caused the problem, not you having to prove anything. Does it do everything it says that it will on the box?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
marksfish wrote:
rely on the new web based software

Now there's a lovely oximoron if ever I saw one! Joker

Isn't that exactly what MyTomTom is though? Software that partially exists on your computer (and the TomTom itself) and partially on the web...

And what about things like JavaScript or webmail? Ain't they "web-based software"?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dagsky wrote:
........, buy sadly, this is walk in pick up those creates, here's your addresses, now move it!! Lol.....simply no time to plan ahead!......

It sounds like route optimisation is a very high priority for you. It's something that TT does not have but as Andy_P has said, some of the Garmins do. It may be worth a few minutes posting a question on the Garmin pages and see what feed back you get. It doesn't cost anything to ask and there is no obligation to commit.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: