Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Need New Handheld
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Need New Handheld

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Need New Handheld Reply with quote

Well for 8 years I've been using the HP Ipaq 4605 to run TomTom, and it's been great. I have it in a cradle in my dash in front of the tachometer. Such a wonderful tool.

But it's time to upgrade. I haven't gotten new maps or software for years. So is there a new handheld that will run TomTom?

It is important to me that the screen be vertical. We are driving forward most of the time, are we not? So the screen should be vertical so we can see as much out ahead as possible, although TomTom hasn't seemed to have realized this as all their all-in-one devices are horizontal only, senselessly.

If there are none, I may have to buy an old iPhone, dedicated to TomTom.

On second thought, aren't there virtual reality apps out now, which project your route over a video of the road ahead? I love TomTom, but maybe I should be looking into those instead.
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ideas?

On AR I've looked around and there are a couple HUD displays on the way, but not out yet. There's Wikitude, but it requires the camera meaning that the handheld must be mounted up on the dash and obvious for junkies to smash and grab. I thought maybe a remote USB camera, but can't figure out a way to add that and make it accessible on any Wikitude-compatible device.

Also Wikitude requires constant data, so loses mapping in remote areas, the very time you need it the most. Not to mention it uses up scads of data on your phone plan.

Back to square one.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom Navigator is now ancient and you haven't been able to update it's maps for ages. Avoid....

As you know, there's the iPhone app.....

TomTom for Android is "coming"......
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I've been waiting for TT/Android for a long time, and I doubt now it will ever be ready.

I guess I'll default to TT on an old iPhone and mount it in a cradle in front of my tach. At least that way I get a vertical screen, easy route overview, and offline maps.

I see though that Navigon is rated higher than TT. Wonder why?

What are the best features of the newer TT?
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK since no input, my own conclusions. Navigon has nice graphics but lacks alot of features, according to users posting. Not worth the high expense.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: