Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile POI Site Launched for Smart Phones
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile POI Site Launched for Smart Phones
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bestyman wrote:
It even finds my location from my laptop at home without gps, I assume it uses wifi?

Yes - Firefox ad Safari (and, I think, IE9 (though possibly only IE10)) support the HTML 5 Geolocation protocol so can give a crude location based on WiFi location.

bestyman wrote:
If I was you I would make this into an iphome app and sell it. Im sure that it would do well.

Too much hassle... we're not fans of apple at the moment!! Laughing Out Loud Plus this way means it works across all OS's.

MaFt
joneskdale
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

Add it :D

I wasn't getting at you as I appreciate that your program is only using the data available - I'll try and add some. I also look forward to the edit and remove functions as some of the fuel stations it shows around here have closed down a couple of years ago.

MaFt wrote:

Does the BMW remote app allow users to send locations to it via SMS or weblink etc? Ditto for the car - how would you normally get a lcoation sent to the car?

A lot of the new BMW's have their own permanent Data connection which is on 24/7 and from the BMW Remote iphone app you can send it messages, commands and requests. You can get it to send back its location to your phone. Also you can tell it to flash its headlights or even lock or unlock the car. But of interest here is you can send it a message with a location which is used by the SatNav to provide a destination.

You can also send to the car from Google Maps

It is explained here
http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/exploreConnectedDrive/
Select
Convenience
Google Send to Car

Let me know if there is info you require.

Jon
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joneskdale wrote:
A lot of the new BMW's have their own permanent Data connection which is on 24/7 and from the BMW Remote iphone app you can send it messages, commands and requests. You can get it to send back its location to your phone. Also you can tell it to flash its headlights or even lock or unlock the car. But of interest here is you can send it a message with a location which is used by the SatNav to provide a destination.

It is explained here
Select
Convenience
Google Send to Car

Jon

Cheers - found it. Not sure exactly how we could do that. Google obviously have some info from BMW about exactly what is needed. It seems that Google send a message of some sort to BMW with your registered email and then BMW forward that to your car. If we knew what google sent then we may be able to emulate that by opening a new email (if it can be done in iOS - would need to check). There are 2 main things we need to now 1: where the info is sent to on BMW's side (email? webform?) and 2: exactly what info it sends!

At the moment it may be a no-go. Pushing it to the app may work but, again, we would need to know the exact format the app would accept (if it even does have a custom URI scheme).

MaFt
AntonM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanlakes wrote:
Had same problem. Checked previous posts and you need to turn on the location setting in your browsers settings. I use the browser that comes loaded with my HTC desire HD.

Thanks Alan -- sorted!
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea, and it works on my Sensation, in that it quickly finds where I am and lists lots of POIs nearby. But I have a problem.

I have Sygic on my phone and you say I can use it to navigate to a POI. When I click on the "navigate using" I can see an Option for Sygic, but when I click on that it just tries to take me to a Sygic website that does not exist rather than opening the app. Is that correct? I am using the Dolphin Browser. What am I doing wrong?

By the way thanks for the tip on how to get an icon for a bookmark - I have been using Android for 3 years and did not realise that I could do that.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joneskdale wrote:
MaFt wrote:

Add it :D

I wasn't getting at you as I appreciate that your program is only using the data available - I'll try and add some. I also look forward to the edit and remove functions as some of the fuel stations it shows around here have closed down a couple of years ago.

Jon

Jon, this isn't specifically aimed at you, but at all who read the thread. The data available on this mobile site is the same data that lots of us (well some of us, well at least me Laughing ) have been downloading to our SatNavs for years. We've also been adding POI's to the database for years. You know the idea, I add my local Bank and you add yours. When I'm on business/holiday in your area I'll be able to find the bank you submitted and vice versa. This way the database grows to cover all of the banks, etc. Of course, there are still lots of POI's missing but if this mobile site brings the database to the attention of more people, more and more POIs will be added!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
I have Sygic on my phone and you say I can use it to navigate to a POI. When I click on the "navigate using" I can see an Option for Sygic, but when I click on that it just tries to take me to a Sygic website that does not exist rather than opening the app. Is that correct? I am using the Dolphin Browser. What am I doing wrong?

It may be that the Dolphin browser isn't sending the Sygic URI to the Android OS correctly - can you try it in the normal Android browser?

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be an issue with Android version of Sygic at the moment.

If you have the app set to confirm permission to go online then it will not work. The app will launch but it will not navigate you to the POI.

If you go to settings / connection and untick the box for 'confirm before connecting to the internet' then the links will work from the mobile POI site.

Also, if you want to use Navigon on Android then tapping on the Google Maps link will give you the option to use Navigon.

MaFt
joneskdale
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
joneskdale wrote:

It is explained here
Select
Convenience
Google Send to Car

Jon

Cheers - found it. Not sure exactly how we could do that. Google obviously have some info from BMW about exactly what is needed. It seems that Google send a message of some sort to BMW with your registered email and then BMW forward that to your car. If we knew what google sent then we may be able to emulate that by opening a new email (if it can be done in iOS - would need to check). There are 2 main things we need to now 1: where the info is sent to on BMW's side (email? webform?) and 2: exactly what info it sends!

At the moment it may be a no-go. Pushing it to the app may work but, again, we would need to know the exact format the app would accept (if it even does have a custom URI scheme).

MaFt

Hi MaFt,

While doing some research on this I came across this recently new android app "Send to Car" Which adds a send to car option for Android devices. Not just the BMW but a whole range of cars. Even better it is open source so you can see how it is done.

It can be download to the phone from Google Play

Full details and link to source of the app are at

http://sendtocar.sourceforge.net/

May be good topic for an article for the weekly newletter !!

So going back to the using it from the mobilepoi
On an Android device I found tapping on the small map of the POI opens it in Google maps on the Android device with the POI marked from here you can select share and then send to car. Works great

On a desktop the process is very similar and works as well

Apple iOS is a problem (testing on iPad3)
From Google maps there is no way to send to car. However if Google maps is opened in a browser with a "ui=maps" in the URI then you can get the send to car option. So may be this is something you could add without too much trouble.

Alternatively if you are feeling brave you could build the send to car functionality into yours.

Hope this helps
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joneskdale wrote:

I tried Fuel - Here I really only wanted to see Petrol and Diesel but it showed mostly Calor Gas.

Would there be any way to "preselect" what sub-categories you'd like to see? (I've no idea what's possible as I don't have a smartphone!)

When I download the POIs in the normal way from the PGPSW website, the "Fuel" category has all sorts of fuel-cards and bio-deisel sub-categories that I'm not interested in. So I go through and only tick all the "normal" petrol brands.

SO would there be some way to do something similar?

Or alternatively, could the "Fuel" heading be split into two? One for all the standard high street petrol station brands, and the other for the more esoteric stuff?
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
It may be that the Dolphin browser isn't sending the Sygic URI to the Android OS correctly - can you try it in the normal Android browser?

MaFt

Well I have now tried it with my (HTC) stock browser and that is even worse because it does not even have an option to navigate to the POi using Sygic - it only has Google Maps and Nokia Maps. As I say Dolphin does have the Sygic option but when I click it it tries to open a web page http://com.sygic.aura/type=drive?lon= and then follows what looks like the latitude and longitude of the POI. And when it does that I get a message "web page is not available".

I have tried it with Sygic running in the background and not running at all. And I have the "ask before connecting" button in Sygic unticked.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Or alternatively, could the "Fuel" heading be split into two? One for all the standard high street petrol station brands, and the other for the more esoteric stuff?

Or preferably split into 3: Fuel Stations, Fuel Types, Fuel Cards.

Shell, Morrisons, Texaco etc would go into Fuel Stations.
4 Star, LPG would go into Fuel Types.
Diesel Direct etc would go into Fuel Cards.
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:

Well I have now tried it with my (HTC) stock browser and that is even worse because it does not even have an option to navigate to the POi using Sygic - it only has Google Maps and Nokia Maps. As I say Dolphin does have the Sygic option

Which is the opposite to me on my HTC Desire HD

Using the stock browser I have an option to use Sygic by tapping the "if installed" link and it then passes the poi to Sygic Aura (ver. 11.2.6)

However using Dolphin or Opera (my preferred browser) I don't get the "if installed" option and only have Google maps or Nokia maps available.

Great app and many thanks for idea.

Rick
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look into the send to car stuff. I may be doable but it's a lot of work for probably a small number of users to benefit...

For those with the 'android detection' issues can you go to http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/poi.php?p=browser and let me know the output from that?

A screenshot or copy/paste of the text will suffice.

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
joneskdale wrote:

I tried Fuel - Here I really only wanted to see Petrol and Diesel but it showed mostly Calor Gas.

Would there be any way to "preselect" what sub-categories you'd like to see? (I've no idea what's possible as I don't have a smartphone!)

When I download the POIs in the normal way from the PGPSW website, the "Fuel" category has all sorts of fuel-cards and bio-deisel sub-categories that I'm not interested in. So I go through and only tick all the "normal" petrol brands.

SO would there be some way to do something similar?

You could set them as favourites so the ones you're interested in would show at the top of the Fuel list?

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: