Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CP5 Live Service
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CP5 Live Service
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
prusling
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Crash,

My live link icon on the PDA starts amber very briefly, then goes red, with regular (say every 20 second) green flashes with the arrows going round, then going back to red. I guess its trying to connect me and failing. The live setup says I'm connected fine and I don't get any error mesages (except when my PDA wireless is not enabled as one would expect ).

I'm using the same user id / password on all logins.

I've also re-registered on the European site as I thought I may have initially registered on the US site, but this made no difference. Even thought my router may be blocking some form of traffic but it seems to be letting it through.

Guess I'll have to wait until I get a GPRS phone and try it out on the road.

Thanks, Peter
CrashBiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case this helps, I pulled my wifi card out and switched off bluetooth so no internet connection, dropped my iPAQ into its cradle, restarted cpl5 and got a green "live" icon. Logged onto web site, sent myself a message and it appeared immediately on the ppc. This suggests the activesync connection will route traffic to the pda so you could possibly test it in the cradle to try and debug.

Best if luck,

Crash
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prusling wrote:
Thanks, Dave

Is that demo from CP5 on the PC (I guess so) or on the Live website? I registered on the website, and in the manual it says I cannot then track location on the PC version. Perhaps I should try it.

This was from CoPilot Live 4, and is a small window capture of the main Live Website screen in tracking mode.
prusling
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I still don't go green. The only thing I can think of is my router; I'll try connecting at work tomorrow. Otherwise, its time for an e-mail to ALK.

Pete
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I don't believe it uses standard Port 80, it's better than an application based tracker but if your PPC is behind the same router than you may have difficulties there.2
prusling
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

On digging into the FAQs at ALK, you're right it uses port 9877, and that's probably my problem. However, having enabled it on my XP SP2 firewall and allowed port forwarding/triggering on my wireless router, I still get no joy...

By the way, does anyone know whether it should be TCP or UDP?

Cheers, Pete
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I be really dense here?

Live works through what exactly? I have a GPRS enabled phone in my car so doe sthis need to be wired to the PDA?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prusling wrote:
On digging into the FAQs at ALK, you're right it uses port 9877, and that's probably my problem. However, having enabled it on my XP SP2 firewall and allowed port forwarding/triggering on my wireless router, I still get no joy...

If you're using the browser to the Live Server and the PPC is using a GPRS setup then you won't need to open any ports. However if you're doing a test of Live over a WiFi network, e.g. walking around in the garden or down the street connected to your PC over a WiFi connection, then you will need to open up some ports. I'm not sure which ports are required, you may need to try TCP/UDP. If you're in-car and using GPRS you won't need to open any ports on your PC at home. e.g. You can test this at home by creating a route and demonstrating it and allowing CoPilot to drive it whilst you have it in your PPC Cradle, that way you can test Live direct through the Sync port on the PDA rather than using a GPRS mobile (or you could use GPRS if you wanted to). That way you can make sure it's working before venturing out onto the road.

topgazza wrote:
Can I be really dense here?

Live works through what exactly? I have a GPRS enabled phone in my car so doe sthis need to be wired to the PDA?

The Pocket PC can be running a Bluetooth connection to the GPS, and a Bluetooth connection to the GSM Mobile Phone, but you will still need power/charger cables. There should be no cable between GSM and PPC though.
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
You can test this at home by creating a route and demonstrating it and allowing CoPilot to drive it whilst you have it in your PPC Cradle
How do you demonstrate it? I can't see how to do this, or do you mean playing back a previously recorded track?

Actually I have just tried playing back one of the sample tracks and can now see Live working on my desktop!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can either plot a route between two places, or you can exit CoPilot edit the preferences.cfg file and change the line DEMO to 1.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Co Pilot Live is only accessed through Bluetooth - GSM then my cunning plan of Mitac + CP5 is blown as the Mitac does not have Bluetooth.

(Insert rude word here)

My GSM has it but in any case as I still like the Mitac solution I may forego the "nice to have" but not crucial Live funtion. Probably never use it anywai...
tivoboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: done it with IR Reply with quote

I have done the gprs transmission with IR before, that works fine. You just have to keep the phone position near the ppc, which is hard in a moving car, and the phone cannot do double duty, well, uh, acting as a phone as well, unless I try to hold the phone and ppc in perfect relationship to each other while trying to make a call.

I guess I could use one of those longer headphone cords and run it to the phone, while leaving it in close proximity to the ppc, but
that is why I use the bt option on the phone, since it can do all this all at the same time.
bt headset, and bt gprs connection to the ppc.

for those of you on a data plan, the kb's are very very limited, probably just some very simply text string that gives lon/lat in short terms. so, data usage is low
Rattle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does CP5 keep the GPRS connection alive connects for every update and then drops it? Like pocket outlook does when checking mail - I cannot check two accounts with the same GPRS connection, for every account outlook connects, checks messages and then drops. Every such activity costs me 20kb, even if only 1kb was actually downloaded. If CP5 operates the same way then the actual live costs could go much higher, especially if you happen to have a plan that rounds at 100kb.

Cheers,
Eriks
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole ethos behind GPRS is that you are continually connected and data/bandwidth is only used when requested or sent. I haven't checked CoPilot, but it should leave the connection open.

ISP's may have an idle disconnection setup depending on which ISP/Mobile Network you use.
Rattle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Dave, that's the idea of GPRS and it does stay connected as long as the PDA maintains the connection. Question is, does the PDA, i.e. the program responsible for the connection, maintain it continuously open or establish the connection to send data and then disconnect?
With Pocket Outlook it seems to be the case of the latter: if I have two e-mail accounts and I want to check them both, then, even if I establish the GPRS modem link manuallay (via connections), outlook only allows to check the current account and but makes me disconnect and reconnect to check the other one. Kind of defeats the purpose of a permanent connection doesn't it, or maybe my settings are all wrong, but I couldn't find any options with regard to this. This is to say that how a modem connection is maintained is largely dependent on how the program maintaining it is written. I just hope that CP5 does it better than Microsoft Smile
Anyways, I'm picking up my copy of CP5 at the post office today, so I guess I'll check for myself ;)

Cheers,
Eriks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: