Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom acquires PocketGPSWorld Points Of Interest Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom acquires PocketGPSWorld Points Of Interest Database
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: TomTom acquires PocketGPSWorld Points Of Interest Database Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
We alluded to this news in our Newsletter on Friday but now we can, at long last, let the cat out of the bag.

PocketGPSWorld is delighted to announce that TomTom have entered into an agreement to acquire our entire POI database catalogue. The acquisition will allow TomTom to build on their existing POI database using the data gathered and administered by PocketGPSWorld over the last 10 years.

And so we must give notice that our free POI data service will close it's doors as of midday today (12:00 BST). Thanks to all of you who submitted data for inclusion and to the two Richard's, Oldie and Oldboy, for their work in managing the service, curating the data and moderating all the submissions.

We can now concentrate on our other services with renewed vigour.

email icon

spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren! On the naughty step - NOW!!
dorsetwurzel
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you included a free MaFt as an incentive to Tomtom?
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Sold Out Reply with quote

"free POI data service will close it's doors as of midday today (12:00 BST). Thanks to all of you who submitted data"

Maybe i am mistaken and correct me if i am wrong. So All the contributors over the years to the FREE POI database will be getting a share of the proceeds once PGPSW sell it to tomtom or will they get nothing and have to pay for a TomTom to acquire the database.

You say "TomTom have entered into an agreement to "Acquire" our entire POI database catalogue" I take this to mean PGPSW are making money out of all its contributors but will not see a penny of it themselves.

I know this maybe a controversial point and maybe i have got the wrong end of the stick. Maybe PGPSW could shed some light on the details of the "Acquisition" i.e how much money you sold it for [/u]

1ka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just about to rant about the injustice of selling a product that was substantially created by the community. Then I noticed the date Rolling Eyes
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: LoL Reply with quote

1ka wrote:
I was just about to rant about the injustice of selling a product that was substantially created by the community. Then I noticed the date Rolling Eyes

Too late i posted my Rant before i realised the date.....OH Man i fell for that hook line and sinker...!!!! ... It is a joke ..Right

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1ka wrote:
Spoil Sport Rolling Eyes
1ka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Spoil Sport Rolling Eyes

Normally I would agree with you. Smile

But usually April Fool's jokes have something in the text that, with careful reading, indicates it's a joke. If anyone bites after that, then it's their own fault. This one didn't so you'd just have apoplectic members raging against the injustice and then being annoyed with PGPSW when it's shown to be a joke.

Heck, it got me out of bed early on a Sunday about to pen my 'Dear Sir..' letter Embarassed
Sampa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: POI database Reply with quote

I am assuming that the expiry time of 12.00 BST is the give-away that it is an April Fool?
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You rascalls! Laughing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Darren, I was wondering as well until I remembered the date.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the 12-noon is a giveaway, as is the one country left uncrossed in the graphic - what's it an anagram of?

And, even if we were being serious you'd have agreed to it anyway:
Quote:
All future POI Database submissions, additions and amendments automatically become the individual and collective property of PocketGPSWorld.com By submitting POI data you hereby grant PocketGPSWorld.com ownership of such data and permission to disseminate where and how it sees fit. No permission will be granted to companies, organisations, web sites or authors who distribute our data without a current commercial PocketGPSWorld.com license. The database, whilst currently free to those who register with PocketGPSWorld.com, may in future become chargeable or only available to paying members at the sole discretion of PocketGPSWorld.com All submissions previous to 22 December 2006 would not be included in the chargeable version without the author's express permission. Subsequent submissions may be included unless stated otherwise by the submitter at time of submission.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astounding that anyone should have taken it seriously - Darren, you can get off the naughty step at noon. Laughing
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hook, line and sinker. Embarassed

Darren, you're a dead man walking. Evil or Very Mad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think this would fool anyone Laughing

1ka wrote:
But usually April Fool's jokes have something in the text that, with careful reading, indicates it's a joke.

Well there was the 12:00 cutoff and that mysterious country in the graphic. Where is 'Allisofpro' I wonder........? And why was it the only one left unchecked? Hmm.....

To those who saw the funny side, well done for retaining a sense of humour. To those who didn't, our apologies. I was caught out by a few this morning despite knowing full well what the date was. I had to stop reading my collection of RSS feeds as I could no longer tell fact from fiction Very Happy

And we shan't embarass the one chap who sent MaFt an SMS congratulating us on the news Wink

But now it's pas midday we can all relax and smile eh?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: