Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Some depressing lists - What's been dropped in new models
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Some depressing lists - What's been dropped in new models
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed,

They do seem to have many so many backward steps.

My old TT with 20Gb hard drive did so much more (except for live traffic).

Nice mount, turned itself on and off, played my music and told me where to go.

I even had the remote Smile

Later of course we had map correct which is handy because their maps, even the latest ones are wrong.

But I don't think mapshare shares with the 100x series.

Screen also takes a long time to switch to night mode and vis versa (if you power it up at night after a visit to some where, often you will be two streets away before it stops blinding you with day colours).

HummerUK
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Milesey - Multiple selection of files does work (by CTRL or Shift click, or by click and drag, but apparently not on Internet Explorer, only on other browsers like Firefox and Chrome. For some reason, some people in the US are still having problems with it too.

Andy, just playing with a new Live 1005 yesterday and had problems loading the POI's as multiple items (I upgraded to the latest version offered + map). Using Internet Explorer as browser. Presumably you can't configure the TT Home prog to use Firefox? or do you have to set WinXP to use Firefox as the deafult browser? Whats the easiest way and hopefully TT will get this sorted for Explorer. What a shambles they've made of this unit.

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brickie64 wrote:
Presumably you can't configure the TT Home prog to use Firefox?

You certainly can.... and as far as I know you don't have to configure anything, it just works.
Brickie64 wrote:
...or do you have to set WinXP to use Firefox as the deafult browser? Whats the easiest way

Ah, probably that's why!
I've always used Firefox (and Netscape before it) so have never had IE as my default browser.
From the very first time I used MyTomTom, it opened up in a Firefox window.

Brickie64 wrote:
...and hopefully TT will get this sorted for Explorer. What a shambles they've made of this unit.

To be honest, I don't think it's Tomtom's fault this time... I think it's all down to a limitation in IE.
There are lots of things IE does in a non-standard way and they only get away with it because they are so big.
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I copied and pasted Andy_P list onto TT Facebook page - this is there reply - anyone wanting to take up their offer feel free.

Hi Keith,
TomTom commented on their Wall post.
TomTom wrote: "Hey Keith, our colleagues from CS are happy to talk to you on these issues. You can contact them here http://www.facebook.com/l/NAQAzoEfr/www.tomtom.com/support or you can give us your phone number via email at Customer.Relations@tomtom.com & tomtom.pr@tomtom.com and they will call you back. Thanks!"

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540
croov414
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a Garmin system for years, but I'm looking into purchasing a navigation device from a different company. Is it worth buying an older TomTom model on ebay over a newer model since many of the features are dropped?

Also, I came across OrionVIS - which is a system I've never heard of. Do you know anything about this product and how it compares to TomTom?

Thanks for the help! Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master list in post #1 updated... I'd forgotten about "Send to TomTom" from Google Maps etc.!
You can't do that any more either. Crying or Very sad
harryb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Best model Reply with quote

I'm considering replacing my rather elderly TomTom One with a newer model. I'm not planning to buy a new one given the issues listed on this thread.

If I wanted to buy a second hand model that as an SD slot and IQ routes, with the least items missing from the list, which one would you recommend?

Cheers,

H
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want IQ Routes? It's old data - historical from over a year ago.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

Because it is useful old data. It is trends about how the road is used, like everyone going at 15mph during rush hour, so while the road is an A road and 60mph theoretically, you are actually better off going around on a 40mph longer road. Surely you know this Dennis?

From a practical point of view, I can say that IQ routes improved routing greatly when it came in. The TomTom always used to suggest a windy road that drives slowly until IQ routes had it suggesting the faster, straighter, only a bit longer route. It is well worth having.
harryb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

As the other poster mentioned - even though the data is old many traffic patterns are relatively predictable over time - so you get a better routing than having no historical information at all.

I don't drive for a living or during the week, just when I'm abroad on holiday or visiting friends. So I'm not really up for spending on a live traffic subscription.

BTW... in reference to my original question I'm looking at the 930 or 940. Do they represent the pinnacle of TomTom before the decline?

-- H
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

List in post #1 updated and re-jigged a bit to split out the NAV3-specific changes from general ones.

Anything to add?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't see Bluetooth File Transfer listed (but it may be there!). I believe that has been removed on the latest 9.400.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ali... added.
JamesEncliffe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Start25 poor is some respects compared to older models Reply with quote

I'm not surprised that TomTom are finding times a bit hard.
They might do better if their products had not gone so downhill compared to earlier models.
Having been a Go300 user since they first came out, I recently 'upgraded' (??) to a Start25. I was surprised at how some excellent features had gone or been crippled in the new product. My biggest complaint is the virtually worthless mount system. I expected a solid dock as before, but this product expects the user to actually unpeel the sucker off the screen each time and unplug a fiddly cable! Utterly stupid design. I have had to spend more money to get a proper dock! Even then it leaves a clumsy arm sticking out from the device, making storage e.g. in a case, awkward.
My other problem is the dreadful audio quality... the speaker is rubbish compared to the Go300, with tinny hard-to-hear sound. Very disappointing.

Against that, many other features I have found useful and of course the screen is vastly improved.

Always a pity when a new version of a product adds great features, but then lets down the whole thing by needlessly removing or breaking existing features. It seems to the way of the world these days.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

List in post #1 updated with a few more changes...

i.e.
Google search gone
"Turn off map display above a certain speed" gone.
"user selectable camera warning distances (for their own system) gone.
etc.

Any more I've missed?

Also thought it was time to "bump" the topic. Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: