Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO LIVE 1005 World Reviewed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO LIVE 1005 World Reviewed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: TomTom GO LIVE 1005 World Reviewed Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com

The TomTom GO LIVE 1005 world is the top of the range of TomTom SatNav devices. It combines mapping and navigation with online content using a built in SIM card. This takes the navigation experience beyond the AtoB routing and opens up a world of exploration and sharing.

It has been a long time since I reviewed a top of the range TomTom SatNav so I was very pleased to get my hands on it and give it a thorough shake down and see what it was like. My previous TomTom Live SatNav was a GO Live 940 from back in 2009 so nearly 3 years further development I was looking forward to seeing what had been implemented.

The first thing to note is that the GO Live 1005 has a large 5" screen, but not only is it significantly larger it is now a capacitive screen rather than a resistive one. Basically what that means is that the SatNav now has a screen like the Apple iPhone and is able to produce rich punchy colours but can also suffer from reflections.

The second thing noticed is the 'World' tagged onto the end of the product name. This effectively means that rather than regional or a multi-regional mapping the maps cover the entire world (or at least parts of it). My old GO 940 had Western Europe and North America loaded. The 1005 World has Australia, Europe, New Zealand, SE Asia, Southern Africa, and USA Canada loaded.

The third major area of improvement is in the LIVE services. In addition to the LIVE HD Traffic TomTom have added informational and social services. With the GO LIVE 1005 TomTom have changed the usage basis from AtoB routing to discovery and social interaction. Of course the SatNav still retains its core navigational functionality, but now content from Trip Advisor, and Expedia has been incorporated along with the integration of Twitter for social media.

Our full review contains 3 videos of the TomTom GO Live 1005 in action both in the UK and USA. Click here to read more...
email icon

Last edited by MikeB on Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom GO LIVE 1005 World Reviewed Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
The second thing noticed is the 'World' tagged onto the end of the product name. This effectively means that rather than regional or a multi-regional mapping the maps cover the entire world (or at least parts of it).
Parts of it. Don't all satnavs have 'parts of it' on them Confused
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom GO LIVE 1005 World Reviewed Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
MikeB wrote:
The second thing noticed is the 'World' tagged onto the end of the product name. This effectively means that rather than regional or a multi-regional mapping the maps cover the entire world (or at least parts of it).

That was sarcasm...

The normal SatNavs don't imply that they have maps of the World! The 1005 World does make that claim but doesn't.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom GO LIVE 1005 World Reviewed Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
the GO Live 1005 has a large 5" screen, but not only is it significantly larger it is now a conductive screen rather than a resistive one.

"Capacitive" mike, not "conductive".

Actually a resistive screen is more conductive than a capacitive one! Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely that's to do with the TomTom splash screen which says you must obey the rules of conduct?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom GO LIVE 1005 World Reviewed Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
MikeB wrote:
the GO Live 1005 has a large 5" screen, but not only is it significantly larger it is now a conductive screen rather than a resistive one.

"Capacitive" mike, not "conductive".

Actually a resistive screen is more conductive than a capacitive one! Smile

Embarassed This IDIOT read that through so many times and missed it... Changed now though.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably around 10 years ago (reviews were dated 2000) I had a Garmin eMap which had a base map of the world built in. It could get you between towns fine - just not down to the street level. Country maps seemed to link into it OK.

I do wonder why it seems to be impossible to offer the same nowadays.

Gerry
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
Probably around 10 years ago (reviews were dated 2000) I had a Garmin eMap which had a base map of the world built in. It could get you between towns fine - just not down to the street level. Country maps seemed to link into it OK.

I do wonder why it seems to be impossible to offer the same nowadays.

Gerry

IIRC (from a long time ago) The Garmin eMAP didn't route automatically. Parts of the basemap were little more than POI locations rather than having roads. Much better now though.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom GO LIVE 1005 World Reviewed Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
M8TJT wrote:
MikeB wrote:

That was sarcasm...

The normal SatNavs don't imply that they have maps of the World! The 1005 World does make that claim but doesn't.
They will be claiming that HD traffic works in the UK next Rolling Eyes
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've just made a deal to have HD in China in 2013. See here:
http://corporate.tomtom.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=654295

Can getting the horizon fixed in the UK be far behind? Twisted Evil
avdl1999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice you say this 1005 Live model uses TT Home to update etc.

I thought these new devices use the woeful MyTomTom software.

Did you actually successfully connect this device during your review?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avdl1999 wrote:
I notice you say this 1005 Live model uses TT Home to update etc.

I thought these new devices use the woeful MyTomTom software.

Did you actually successfully connect this device during your review?

You are quite right it is MyTomTom that is used the successor to TomTom Home, and yes I did use it to update the application and maps and add some POIs on the GO.
avdl1999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up.

I thought for a moment that it was suddenly using TT home!

Great to know you successfully connected and updated too.

I remain to be convinced about my GO 1000 though. Very poor user interaction with the desktop software.

I do like the sharpness of the screen though. The capacitive screen is much better despite the odd reflection problem.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom GO LIVE 1005 World Reviewed Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
I went to visit some friends who were staying at the National Trust property Sutton Hoo in Suffolk. Now the nearest city I knew to there was Ipswich so having selected POI in City and entering Ipswich I then did a 'Search by Name' for Sutton Hoo. After a few seconds of the wait icon (known as the Wheel of Death) it returned "No POI found". .

I know that this is a review of the standard (vanilla) unit but I think that you missed an opportunity to plug the PocketGPSWorld free POIs. Wink

Using my TomTom 950 Live, I Navigated to POI in city "Ipswich" and used Search POI for "Sutton Hoo" and after a few seconds the following "Attraction" was displayed:

8.0 mi National Trust, Sutton Hoo

NB. In the PocketGPSWorld free POI categories, the "National Trust" is a sub-category of the "Attraction" POI category.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: