Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Manufacturers and Highways bosses meet for Satnav Summit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Manufacturers and Highways bosses meet for Satnav Summit
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... or

Foreign truckers unable to decipher English warnings and just following the SatNav ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
scote
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

people blaming sat nav are simply trying to offset blame for their stupidity to either try to make them look less stupid or mitigation to get off traffic charges.
I was in cyprus last year and sat nav is not available there due to local laws i think. I was using google maps and following a route which took me on to a road that was still being built through a field, there were no warning signs, common sense told me when to turn round.
jonchill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue with map updates is that the last two times I've upgraded the maps on my Tom Tom it's caused problems which have meant me logging a fault call with Tom Tom and resolution a week later. I am now very reluctant to do a map update just in case it happens again.

While I agree map updates are great if everytime you update it causes some problem that requires you logging a call or searching the forums users aren't going to bother. So manufacturers have to make the update process seamless and relatively inexpensive.

Me personally if I going somewhere I've never been before I look at googlemaps for the main route and print off directions for the far end just in case my Tom Tom fails or plays up.

Anyone who blames there GPS for the driving issues or mis-direction need locking up or permanetly banning from the roads as they don't seem to have the common sense required to drive on our roads and are a danger to everyone else.

The way I see it is, it's easyier for the government to blame the 'gadget' than the operator as they can bash the manufacturer round the head to improve things without loosing those all important votes by blaming the real cuprits the motorists and actually having to do something about it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonchill wrote:
The way I see it is, it's easyier for the government to blame the 'gadget' than the operator as they can bash the manufacturer round the head to improve things without loosing those all important votes by blaming the real cuprits the motorists and actually having to do something about it.

And you've hit the nail on the head there Jon.

Government are never going to tell it how it is, laying the blame where it deservedly lies, with the motorist, is a sure fire vote loser.

Instead it's much easier if they make a big fuss that let's the voters think they're working for them.
wrinklyninja
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon the satnav makers will love the opportunity to have compulsory updates. Can you think of any device that is over 5 years old that still has good map updates available? TomTom and others have massively falling sales and to be able to 'force' new devices on us under the pretext that it is because of government legislation is a dream come true for them.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think this will force them to provide map updates to devices that are 5yrs old, think again, and why should they? And it'd be impossible to require compulsory updates. Some satnavs will never see a computer, ever, and the LIVE connected devices simply can't support the huge data requirements required, yet.

This is all smoke and mirrors, nothing more. The most that will come out of it will be some basis for local authorities to communicate with map makers on road changes and routing issues and possibly speedier delivery of new map data to manufacturers.
wrinklyninja
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely. What I meant was that the manufacturers will welcome the opportunity, backed by government legislation, to produce a new generation of satnavs that are seen as being of a required standard. Of course these will need replacing every 2 years
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, perhaps! The thing is, they can, and some already are, bundling lifetime updates, in with the unit.

However 'lifetime' in the terms of a device is not the usually understood term and it does not transfer if you sell the device on.

But the biggest hurdle is getting the updates on to the device. Readers of this forum are already ahead of the curve, using forums etc. The vast majority of users aren't and wouldn't know where to start.

Perhaps we need to start a mail-in update service for satnavs!
andrew0401
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Map Updates - I wish! Reply with quote

Most of the "portable" satnav devices are relatively easy to update the maps - ignoring that some map suppliers are a bit slow - it is still easy to update the device.

Some in-built devices are virtually impossible! Anyone with a Nissan will tell you that new maps appear in new vehicles - but update an existing system, no chance! The worst is their "premium" connect system - new vehicles have a 2011 version from Navteq - my car purchased in June 2011 came with a 2009 dated map and Nissan "hope" to have an update some time this year! Cost undecided but probably in the £350+ range!!!

Needless to say my trusty old Go 530 is still in the car!

Andrew
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Map Updates - I wish! Reply with quote

andrew0401 wrote:
Most of the "portable" satnav devices are relatively easy to update the maps - ignoring that some map suppliers are a bit slow - it is still easy to update the device.

I'd beg to differ there, for most people, hooking a device up to a PC, locating purchasing a map update and then installing it is far from easy. That's backed up by the stats from manufacturers with less than 25% of devices ever receiving a software update let alone a new map. Some of that will of course be due to cost but for many they simply wouldn't know how, or even have a PC with a fast internet connection to even attempt it.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Map Updates - I wish! Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I'd beg to differ there, for most people, hooking a device up to a PC, locating purchasing a map update and then installing it is far from easy.
Quite right Darren. And often it's not even a question of easy or not - some don't even think about it. I have a mate, whitevanman, he has a TomTom so old it's got lichen and he has no idea how to update it and why should he bother? He has TomTom cameras on from six or seven years ago and is happy with them! Sure, the map sometimes isn't accurate, but he guesses that's because it's an old satnav. He sometimes doesn't get the postcode result he's wanting and doesn't remember to use zero instead of O in the code. When I tell him about upgrades to the Navcore and maps he says Yes, OK, but never does plug into a computer (he may not have one and doesn't like to admit to it).

The satnav summit is just hot air and a day out with a good lunch and dinner thrown in to get the PR machine off the ground again.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was any statement eventually issued, or any other indication of an actual result of this 'summit'?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this report of the conference results.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George de Boer, senior manager business development, TomTom. wrote:
"TomTom has a unique product on the market for lorry drivers: the TomTom Pro Truck solution," said de Boer. This solution includes restrictions (height, weight, dangerous goods (HAZMAT) etc.) based on the dimension and load of the truck and special routing algorithms,"
Unique? No it isn't. iGO (and maybe others) do the same. How could he say that ;=)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy... what makes it unique is that it has the TomTom name on it. Razz

It's a bit like all those "exclusive" stories you see on the front pages of EVERY red-top newspaper on the same day.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: