Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Checkpoint and Speed Camera POI
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Checkpoint and Speed Camera POI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Satellite3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Checkpoint and Speed Camera POI Reply with quote

I am new to loading POI and associated plug-ins so please bear with me.

Checkpoint

I am interested in initially loading Speed Camera POI into TomTom Navigator 3 and have Navigator advise me when I am approaching a camera, tts type and the applicable speed limit.

I loaded the camera POI's from the database link on your site and then visted the Checkpoint site and loaded version 3 of Checkpoint plus sound files.

Having taken a look at the Checkpoint manual, I expected to see under the overlay settings a breakdown of cameras and be provided with the opportunity to attach sound files. Instead all I was presented with was a screen identifying that the pocketgps database was not syncronised and there was no breakdown of cameras.

Also, the Speed Warning tab is confusing as Speed limits vary. Is this linked to the Overlay Settings

Am I doing somethig wrong? Should I have syncronised with the site identified on the Checkpoint site first?

Camera Locations

My daily journey usually involves travelling along the M25 and there are numerous average speed cameras(Cow bell shaped cameras about a metre off the group) As these cameras have been on the M25 for a long time, why are these not POI.

Also, Checkpoint advises me of camera locations even though they are located on the other side of the motor way and not in my direction of travel

Please help

Regards
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Checkpoint and Speed Camera POI Reply with quote

Satellite3 wrote:
I am new to loading POI and associated plug-ins so please bear with me.
Lots of issues to tackle here - I'll try to be gentle as I take each in turn.

Quote:
I am interested in initially loading Speed Camera POI into TomTom Navigator 3 and have Navigator advise me when I am approaching a camera, tts type and the applicable speed limit.
Right - here's the first issue - the PocketGPSworld SC database currently only informs you where the speed camera (or mobile speed camera) is located - it does not have the information on speed or type of camera.

Quote:
I loaded the camera POI's from the database link on your site and then visted the Checkpoint site and loaded version 3 of Checkpoint plus sound files.
Good.

Quote:
Having taken a look at the Checkpoint manual, I expected to see under the overlay settings a breakdown of cameras and be provided with the opportunity to attach sound files. Instead all I was presented with was a screen identifying that the pocketgps database was not syncronised and there was no breakdown of cameras.
Two issues here:
    1 - The database will appear in the "not synchronized" section of overlays, as it has not been synchronized with the POIPlace server. This is normal, and nothing to worry about.
    2 - As it is only 1 file with all the POIs in it, it cannot be broken down by speed limit. The screen you are expecting to see with the breakdown of cameras is based on the speed camera databases held on the POIPlace server which CheckPOInt synchronizes with.

Quote:
Am I doing somethig wrong? Should I have syncronised with the site identified on the Checkpoint site first?
If you register and sync with the POIPlace as defined within CheckPOInt then additionally as well as the PocketGPSWorld SC database you will also have access to speed specific databases, where you can define additional speed related warnings.

If you have the time and space on your PDA, I would recommend using both datasets. I have both sets displayed on the map, and I have CheckPOInt looking out for both sets of data - I have the speed specific POI files from CheckPOInt set to warn me with a siren if I approach over the speed limit, and to also tell me the speed limit in force, but I also get warned about the PocketGPSworld SC cameras in case of the datasets not overlapping.

Quote:
My daily journey usually involves travelling along the M25 and there are numerous average speed cameras(Cow bell shaped cameras about a metre off the group) As these cameras have been on the M25 for a long time, why are these not POI.
Simply because they are not speed cameras! Although these (mainly blue, but sometimes grey or more recently green) Trafficmaster sensors can record your number plate, and hence can calculate traffic flows they are absolutely nothing to do with speeding tickets, and hence do not need to appear in the databases. Trafficmaster sensors are only used to provide traffic alerts to their users. However, the few roads which have "speeding ticket"-related average speed cameras on them do appear in the database.

Quote:
Also, Checkpoint advises me of camera locations even though they are located on the other side of the motor way and not in my direction of travel
This is one feature where the hardware based GPS speed camera database detectors flourish - their databases include information which carriageway the camera covers, and hence they can be set to only alert for one direction. With a lot of UK cameras reversible, and with the majority of mobile speed camera vans capable of covering both carriageways, it's not the end of the world to be notified to keep within the speed limit.

Quote:
Please help
I hope I have helped handle some of the issues of using CheckPOInt, the PocketGPSworld SC database, and the various things on the roads which point at us!
Satellite3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Checkpoint Reply with quote

Thanks Swing

I think you have handled just about everything.

However, the traffic master cameras are something I am used to seeing. Usually blue as you say.

The cameras that I am referring to, or at least I think they are cameras are on the M25. They are grey in colour and shaped like an old fashioned Cow Bell, with three apertures, looking into the end of the "bell". They sit on top of a grey posts, usually about 1 metre high. A lot have been twisted to face into fields.

My question is, "Are these Cameras". If so, those that do face the motorway should, I would have thought have been identified as POI.

Regards
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Checkpoint Reply with quote

Satellite3 wrote:
The cameras that I am referring to, or at least I think they are cameras are on the M25. They are grey in colour and shaped like an old fashioned Cow Bell, with three apertures, looking into the end of the "bell". They sit on top of a grey posts, usually about 1 metre high. A lot have been twisted to face into fields.
Ah, now 3 cameras pointing out are normally ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) cameras, and I'm aware that some are located on the M25 (I guess the confusion was that the cow bell description suits the TM sensors too!).

If you can give a rough location of any of these cameras between the M1 and the A3 I'll check tomorrow to see exactly what they are, as I'm driving that way after the morning rush hour.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/police203.htm includes a picture of the ANPR cameras on the M25, although they are 3 cameras, I'm not sure they meet your description - http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/lineup.htm has an "ID the roadside device" which might help.
jlevene
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible that you are referring to the devices that are used to monitor if it is foggy. They are grey, usually point slightly away from the traffic and are only around 1 metre from the ground.
ds47uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal view on all Speed Camera databases is that it doesn't matter whether it is warning you about a speed camera, a red light camera or a mobile camera. Basically, if the thing shouts at you, obey the law for a minute or two and then ... (well we should always obey the law all the time but you get my drift)

Dave
hogbreath
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember someone saying......"when the updates hit critical mass" in terms of mph postings for speed cams, these where going to be then posted as part of the pocketgps updates - is this now not the case and is there any point to sending in mph figures with new camera updates??

Pete Rolling Eyes
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete,

We’re trying to get as many Speed Cameras sites updated to include the actual speed limit for each camera. You should see some speed limits in the latest database (30th September 2004), e.g. GATSO 5233, which is a 40mph speed limit in Kidlington.

However this will take time, so I urge everybody to take a few minutes to collate data under the following headings:

Cameras to delete
Cameras to move
Cameras to add
Speed limits of existing speed cameras that are otherwise correct

And send to: cameras [at] PocketGPSWorld [dot] com

With cameras to move and add, you will need to supply the decimal values for Longitude and Latitude or an .OV2 file with the new location. If you are a TomTom user, you can create a new POI (called something like “new cameras”) and capture the location with this POI. You can use Richard’s POI Converter (or WinOV2) to convert the .OV2 file into a text .ASC file with Longitude and Latitude shown.

The more people that do this, the more data we will have which will hopefully be more accurate as well.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
hogbreath
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

Thanks, see em now Embarassed

I'm shocked 8O by the low number of mph, looks like we have some work to do.

It would seem an easy thing to hunt down the 70mph first off, I'm on

it....I reckon there are approx 10 cams I know of, if everyone contributes

it will soon get done 8)

Cheers
Pete

Ipaq 2210
tt3.03/Gps Drv 2.07/Socket GPS BT
Fugawi/CF 250mb Viking/CheckPoint 2.0.2
The Clip Vent Mount & PDA holder
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hogbreath wrote:
if everyone contributes it will soon get done
Indeed - I'll look through my local camera sites when I get a chance and send in updated data for them too.

Whilst we are talking about cleaning up the database - for someone who drives the M25 every day (you poor thing Wink ) - can you update the database for the M25 variable speed section ..... ignore the section with roadworks, as that's just a mess and most of the cameras are temporarily moved, but there are lots of sites where the road has markings for cameras, but the gantry has no support for cameras - yet these are still in the database - I drive it so infrequently that I'm lucky if I can remember 1 update from each journey, whereas someone driving it daily could easily make it more accurate over a period of a few weeks...
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was reading this with interest and realised that many on here will not know which are speed cameras and all the other cameras that follow us a round perhaps it would be worth having pics of all the various speed cameras somewhere to reference Idea

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomthompson wrote:
perhaps it would be worth having pics of all the various speed cameras somewhere to reference
From my previous post, ID Roadside devices - might be nice to have pictures here, but with such a good selection on this website, it seems better to reference them than duplicate the effort.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: