Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SatMap Expedition
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SatMap Expedition
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: SatMap Expedition Reply with quote

http://www.satmap-xpedition.com/Account/LogOn?returnUrl=%2FAccount%2FPasswordResetSuccess
Satmap Expedition Live now.
spudsocks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothings happening. Trying to log on following instructions using serial number to transfer account from route planner. Nothing, no Email with new password!!!! try using link in case of problems, that does not work. Is it me or is Expedition just broken? Crying or Very sad
spudsocks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm i can not get into my saved routes now on existing route planner either. Whats going on Evil or Very Mad
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that SatMap have not actually announced that the system has gone live. I know they said a new system was coming but as far as I am aware they have not announced it is live. And it is Saturday night so there may not be many people in the office, I would suggest it might be better to wait for Monday and see if things develop. I know jumping in is fun sometimes but you have to be prepared for surprises.
Satsync 1.525
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes my saved routes seem to have vanished as well.

Ian
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: SatMap Expedition Reply with quote

Rogerfrit wrote:
Satmap Expedition Live now.

Is there a user guide anywhere - or is it deemed to be sufficiently intuitive that we don't need one?

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote
Quote:
Is there a user guide anywhere - or is it deemed to be sufficiently intuitive that we don't need one?

If you look at the FAQ tab on the right - does that help?
Satsync 1.525
spudsocks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i will restrain myself. Not often big things happen in Satmap world.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
rkm_hm wrote
Quote:

If you look at the FAQ tab on the right - does that help?

Not a lot! Firstly, if you click on FAQ while logged into Planner, it makes you leave that page - and lose everything you've done - to get to it. Really useful! Why the hell doesn't it open it in a separate tab or window to make it easy to refer to it while planning your route?
[OK, you *can* achieve that by opening the FAQ before logging on, and then opeing a separate tab for the Planner - but you shouldn't need to have to do that!]

Secondly, when you *do* get to it, there's no basic "Getting Started" type information. A bit like a car driver handbook which describes all the controls but doesn't tell you what sequence of operations you need to follow in order to drive from A to B. [Perhaps not a fair comparison, because someone will hopefully have taught you to drive a car before you read the manual - but you'll see what I mean]. A proper User Guide for the Planner would give step by step instructions. The FAQ doesn't! In my opinion, the Help section for the planner on the www.walkhighlands.co.uk/ site is far better.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well
I have had a quick play with Satmap Expedition.
It seems very good indeed. It is pretty intuitive to use, and has a really good feel to it.
The Full Screen mode is fabulous.
In the two screen view, where you can have an aerial photo and OS map displayed side by side, the cursor doesn't appear on both screens, although waypoints do.
On the whole it looks as if I shall be using this instead of WalkHighlands - at least for as long as it is free!
Incidentally - there is a create POI button, which is very useful, although editing the name etc. is quite long winded.
On the whole - pretty good for V1.0
lostme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what happens at the end of the first year if we don't start paying. I assume nothing will be available as the old version is being discontinued at the end of April so there will be no old version option to go back to.

Not exactly encouraging for existing customers. At least the old version was included free for life in the price.

Have I paid for something which is now being taken away and if I want it after the first year I will have to pay again. Sounds just like Biil Gates & Microsoft wanting to sell a new version of windows, at least they don't take away what you already have. Looks like the only option will be Walk the highlands. Anyone know of any other options.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone know what happens at the end of the first year if we don't start paying.

Well I don't, but I note that SatMap have not announced this yet and would hope that they might make that clear when they do. I also note that the options appear to be a free offering and a premium offering. As far as I can see the payment is for the premium features so it looks like (and I hope) that the issue about a year is the period for which the paid options are available.

But looks like we will have to wait a bit longer to see what SatMap have to say. I assume they will post something this week given that most/all of the software seems to be there already.
Satsync 1.525
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know what happens at the end of the first year if we don't start paying.

Well I don't, but I note that SatMap have not announced this yet and would hope that they might make that clear when they do. I also note that the options appear to be a free offering and a premium offering. As far as I can see the payment is for the premium features so it looks like (and I hope) that the issue about a year is the period for which the paid options are available.

Yes, it looks as if, after a year, you'll only have access to the free version unless you pay them some money. In the FAQ, if you click on "Certain functions and maps aren't available", and then on "About", it displays a table of features with two columns - one for Free and the other for Premium.
You don't get a full screen mode or a split screen option with the free version - but the killer for me is that you don't get OS 1:25k maps - only getting 1:50k or Bing rubbish (like the old planner when it didn't like your browser)!

It will be interesting to see what the Premium version costs. If it's more than a few bob, I think I'll stick with Walkhighlands. There's little point in switching to this, only to have to switch back again in 12 months. Better the devil you know!

Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The premium version is £30,it is on the site if you fish around.

I would still like to know where all my saved routes have gone.

Ian
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosun wrote:
The premium version is £30,it is on the site if you fish around.

I would still like to know where all my saved routes have gone.

Ian

Ah, right.

Reference to the saved routes is also there - in the FAQ. It says something about this being a new application which doesn't contain any routes from the Online Route Planner.

Assuming you've got .GPX versions of all your routes on your PC, you'll need to upload those and save them in the new application. If you haven't, you can still access the old application for a while - so you can download your routes as .GPX files and then upload them to the new application.

I can't help feeling that this is something which it wouldn't be beyond the wit of Satmap to automate if there's sufficient pressure from disgruntled customers. Hopefully there will also be pressure from existing customers to be allowed to use the Premium version indefinitely without having to pay £30 per year.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: